Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
(New to the site) Redoing my Bedroom
Chloe Ivy
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My mother came up with the great idea to redo my bedroom and to use her old bedroom set at my Grandmothers house. The style of the bed and dresser is French Provincial. The furniture was white, but it is now stained yellow with gold accents. I do not want to paint over the bedroom set but I wish to have a modern bedroom, fresh and hip bedroom fit for a 21 year old. I not afraid of color but my room is small.

Please help
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
It wouldn't be a hard job to paint the furniture if you're careful and take your time. I think it could look quite fresh and suitable for a young person such as yourself, if it were freshened up and modernized with paint. You could choose any colour scheme you want, but I'd base it on what bedding will be used. Or you could paint everything white and have white bedding (a fresh "hotel" look) and accentuate the room with a nice colour on the walls and some accent pillows on the bed and some art on the walls. Here's one with brown as the accent. Jennifer Backstein Here's one with black: marshmallow dreaming This one is very cool, with green accent and large scale black and white photography: Modern Bedroom And here's one with beautiful cobalt blue... Spaces- One Size Doesn't Fit All

Try to think of what YOU like, and incorporate that into your room using a lot white. You can't go wrong.
January 17, 2013 at 5:10PM     
nancykelley
You have to paint it, to bring it out of the 1950's and into today! My childhood bedroom French provincial bureau turned out so beautiful after a transformation in paint from the original boring old creamy yellow to a gorgeous sparkling silver. See what you think, look at my bureau in the pictures below-what it looks like now, compared to how it used to be
January 17, 2013 at 5:22PM     
PRO
Rachel Oliver Design, LLC
Clean and crisp is a great way to go! Paint the bed and the dresser but in different colors to add interest. Fun, colorful fabric go a long way in adding some pizzazz, too. Changing the knobs really helps modernize old furniture. (these designs are from Sarah Richardson from HGTV)
January 17, 2013 at 5:40PM     
Chloe Ivy
Thanks to all who have answered my design problem so far but I do live with my mother in her house and SHE WILL NOT LET ME PAINT HER FURNITURE NO IF AND'S OR BUTTS!! Could ya'll design a bedroom for me with the cream, yellow and gold accents for a young 21 year old! Help!!
January 17, 2013 at 8:53PM   
2dogssashatess
Well if you cant do anything about the furniture all you can hope to do is get some suitable bedlinen and pillows. Are you allowed to paint the walls of your room. What color/material is the floor in your room? Do you have pictures of the space?I f you want input from people you need to give them this information so they can help you
January 17, 2013 at 9:12PM   
Ramona
This style can be one of the hippest of all with the right choices, but the paint is yellowed because of age and you are right to call it stained. Collect pictures of French country furniture with painted and semi painted finishes. Make a full plan with colors and a budget before you show it to your mother. If it is still a no go, then you have to chose colors which do not intensify the yellow in the paint.
January 17, 2013 at 9:22PM     
Andrea Shink
if she doesn't agree with Ramona's suggestion, check out goodwill & see what you can find, then paint THAT! I love to re-purpose vintage finds. can be done soooo inexpensively! Good luck & have a blast!
January 17, 2013 at 9:31PM     
Kelly Kennedy_Spagnola
Can you sew? with the headboard if you can sew, you could turn it into a padded headboard. Wrap the headboard in an old comforter, you can secure it by sewing it together at the bottom, or wrapping tape around it. Then sew a cover and pull it over the comforter padded headboard, Sheets are an easy way to get that much material easily. And you can change the color any time you want by pulling the cover off and dying it. To cover the color on the dresser, you can try material and liquid starch. And use it like wall paper. It sticks on and can be pulled off without damaging the finish. And the dried liquid starch just wipes off with water. Nice thing is you can change this too, just by changing the fabric. So when you give the set back to Mom every change you've made is reversible. And using fabric you can combine colors, or patterns, and change it easily. Your only limit is your imagination.
January 17, 2013 at 10:38PM     
jrick6
Ok, let's just work with what you've got! It's actually a lovely set and the trick will be to let it support your bedding and accesories! If you choose bedding that's an eye catching colour and has plenty of texture (see pic below) it will be the hero of your room and your bedroom set will only set it off! If you were able to change the handles on the dresser to a burnished bronze they would be the feature without clashing with the "yellowedness" of the furniture and without adding to it like gold would. If the budget goes further maybe add a glam mirror and or a chandilier with the same burnished bronze. Add cushions with texture (ties or ruffles) to add softness to the room. The cushion pictured here I made out of baby wipes but any fabric tied in strips will get the same effect! If you so desire, you could add a canopy too!
January 17, 2013 at 10:41PM   
jrick6
A canopy that could work...
January 17, 2013 at 10:43PM   
January 17, 2013 at 10:44PM   
Brooke Olson
I love it just as it is!!! Try searching for some bedding with a chevron stripe in cream and gold. Or possibly a Greek key design. That will give you a more contemporary feel but will still work well with the French style!
January 17, 2013 at 10:49PM   
Brooke Olson

I think this would be a great inspiration room using that headboard!!!
January 17, 2013 at 10:56PM   
Chloe Ivy
@2dogssashatess made a good point, it would probably help all those who wish to help me out with my design problem if I were to show y'all pictures of my room. I wasn't able to show my floor and my ceiling but my carpet is lime green and I have a simple white ceiling fan.

Mainly what I need is paint color, bedding, curtains and wall accents ideas/ looks that will work with the stained yellow and gold French Provincial furniture. My room is small but I love color, I would like a hip, young bedroom fit for a 21 year old.

I hope this helps.
January 19, 2013 at 3:59PM   
judie
keep white furniture and you like color, so pick up on the lime carpet with a white duvet and shams, color toss pillows, and declutter. I have white furniture in my bedroom. I used gold wall plagues (old and big painted white/gold) above head board with off white damask bedding, off white covered bench in front of bed with dark french wood, and I really like it and it is very posh looking. Just for thoughts.
January 19, 2013 at 4:33PM   
Ramona
You are on a budget, but this furniture is a step up for you no matter what. You must de clutter and organize. I am unclear what is staying in the room? With a green rug, you already have a direction. Are you going to paint the room. This will be more work than you think.
January 19, 2013 at 8:36PM   
Chloe Ivy
@Romona What is staying is the carpet, the fan, all the doors and the mirror. In my second comment I informed all who wished to help with my design problem that my mother will not let me paint her furniture. Mainly what I need is paint color, bedding, curtains and wall accents that will work with the stained yellow and gold French Provincial furniture. Once I find an idea/ look that I like I will then begin to design my room accordingly and will de clutter as I see fit.
January 19, 2013 at 10:05PM   
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi CI -- Here are many pages of inspiration based on what you have to work with -- lots of fun possibilities: http://www.houzz.com/yellow-green-french-provincial
January 19, 2013 at 10:33PM   
PRO
JWinteriors
That bed is king size and I can't see how it will fit in that small room where the smaller bed is now. Having said that, Paint the ceiling and woodwork creamy white, the walls a fun green - keep it toned down, however. Find a comforter in a cream with green throw pillows. Remove shelves and replace with white ones. Keep clutter out! Find a place for all of your beauty aides, etc. and keep them hidden. The curtains should be in a cream and go from floor to ceiling. This will all have a soothing effect and be effortlessly beautiful.
January 19, 2013 at 10:34PM     
gkemp
If you want hip and young, I would consider NOT using both pieces. I would use the dresser without the mirror. Your current bed does however, clash with your young, hip style. I would look for something funky for a headboard. Like... a gate, or a trellis... something with pattern and architectural interest. You could even make your own upholstered headboard. Maybe change the bed location for a new feel (parallel to the closet & window). Then, some simple shelves next to the window for your photos & keepsakes.Go simple with bed linens - and floor to ceiling drapes which complement. Pick your favorite color(s) for accents, Maybe a small rug if your new colors clash with the wtw carpet. THEN pick a paint color. Soft & refined muted lighter colors like ivory or sage green or bold & dramatic like blue-gray, purple or navy.
January 19, 2013 at 11:29PM   
Harrut
Hi
I've been there in the past with parental controls. What I did was invest in pieces of art ( mugs, ceramic pieces , see picture!!) which I liked so that when I got my own place I knew I'd have something I treasured and felt belonged to me and my own tastes. 25 years later these pieces remain my treasure trove of memories and pleasure.
So.... I'd be tempted to purchase some lovely good quality linen, pillows and a duvet which will FEEL great to sleep on/with and paint your walls an amazing bright colour which you can change if or whenever you chose....
PS!.....The same apply to any collection such as jewellery too....!!
January 20, 2013 at 2:10AM   
cled3
@nancykelley: what colour and brand of paint did you use? I love it! Thank you.
January 20, 2013 at 6:13AM   
More Discussions
Help!!!
Window covering?? Remove clock for balance?
Guest bathroom remodel
We are using a medium grey granite with white vanity...
Office space
This office space is in our hallway. It's a high traffic...
This house needs your attention please !!!!
Our house needs serious help , facelift , exterior...
Need help with designing kitchen lighting plan
I"m renovating my existing kitchen and need advice...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.