powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room suggestions....What to do with my living room!
cleanfreek
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love new couches, but not in the budget. Would love to make home a little more traditional/contemporary & have some color. Any & all suggestions welcomed!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Start by recovering the pillows on the sofa. Pick an accent color for them.....mix them up, don't go too matched, carry the accent through to some drapes as well.
5 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:48PM
claudiann
I find your bookshelves and accessories distracting. The clock, sofas, mirror grouping, and lamps have an old world vibe. The white mantle and star appear country. I think the aquarium by itself is enough of a focal point without pictures, clock, and sticks. I would stain or paint the mantle, put the clock above it and decorate with some pretty bottles, or copper and brass. I would organize the shelves by finding some pretty containers or boxes to put them in. I would consider painting the black
Trim on the aquarium. I would get rid of the sticks. I would cover the speakers in fabric the color of the walls, and use containers to organize and hide things in the entertainment center. The coffee table looks out of place. I would think of buying a large square ottoman for in front of the couches. Ii have one that the top lifts and their is storage inside. That might be another way to clear your shelves or to put toys into.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 6:23PM
cleanfreek
@claudiann....the bookshelf is mounted to the wall and my husband will not remove it. I also have no where else to store movies & cd's (the entertainment stand is full of components). I have already asked. Plus we have a little one & things need to be high. If I take everything off the walls, wouldn't they be to bare? I do like the container idea for the bookshelf & remove the sticks. Can't touch the speakers, hubby is looking to sell all of it & get new ones. I have the coffee table away from the couches so the pack n play has more room while watching tv. I do want a cocktail ottoman with storage!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:31AM
PRO
1 Like   February 15, 2014 at 12:01PM
janeinfo
For my two cents worth, I remember when my kidlets were in the "crawling" stage......so I understand the height thing. My suggestions would be to:
1) Replace lampshade with drum shades.
2) Remove candles sconces on walls (they scream traditional, not contemporary)
3) Paint picture frame and bookcase black (and use baskets as suggested above)
4) Don't know what kind of climate you live in, so may not be doable, but I would take down the heavy "green?" drapery on the doors and either add more white sheers or keep sheers and add linen panels from IKEA.
5) Add contemporary pillows.

Good luck!
2 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    February 15, 2014 at 1:06PM
cleanfreek
HELP PLEASE! I can get new couches just have a small budget. I purchased these and am not sure I love them.Turns out the couch s sink more that I thought plus they are smaller than my old couches. I want a Pottery Barn style and not sure if the "bones" of my house are to traditional (my kitchen & dining room).
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 9:40AM
PRO
www.newjerseyaccents.com
Check out the pillow cover set I have at my Etsy shop. I think these would compliment your furnishings nicely.
3 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:41AM
sandkshouse
Any chance of having a dedicated home theatre in the basement and just having a moderately sized TV and Blu-ray player in the family room? The screen, speakers, and equipment really dominate the room.
1 Like   Thanked by cleanfreek    March 24, 2014 at 5:52AM
decoenthusiaste
I think I would have removed pillows and slipcovered the old sofas for now. Are you stuck with these? The shiny blue pillows are too formal for the microsuede casual sofas. Have you tried adding the navy blue from the matting on the pictures as your accent color?
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    March 24, 2014 at 6:11AM
cleanfreek
@sandkshouse, NO! My husband would not go for that and we do not have a basement (that he would love). This is our only living room and that tv & home audio is his BABY! LOL! I wish we could have it in a basement.
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 1:09PM
cleanfreek
@decoenthusiaste....I would like to slipcover the old couches but wouldn't be able to because the pillows are the back of the couch. I am selling the newer microfiber couches, I don't like them other than the lines of them are cleaner looking. I love my shiny blue pillows and want more of that color in the living room. I took down the beach pictures and put up 16x20 B&W pictures of my son.
0 Likes   April 2, 2014 at 1:12PM
hanna1984
Is this the one you want grover to look at? if you have another you want her to look at give it a "bump" :)
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 2, 2014 at 2:58PM
hanna1984
bump
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 2, 2014 at 3:32PM
cleanfreek
this is but I have made some changes....
1 Like   April 2, 2014 at 3:37PM
groveraxle
cleanfreek, now that I've commented here, it will show up in my thread. Take some pictures of the room as it looks now, and post them here. I'll check back in a bit, but you've gotten some good advice already.
2 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 2, 2014 at 4:34PM
cleanfreek
I will have to do it later, I have dinner to make and a appt. later
1 Like   April 2, 2014 at 5:25PM
cleanfreek
I am just getting things together haven't forgotten anyone. Been busy this morning! Will post some pictures soon.
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 12:00PM
cleanfreek
Ok, here is what I have going on at this moment. These couches are going bye bye and the couches in the original picture are coming back. I would like to see the room in a couple different ways. Love my rug color and the blue pillows. If possible maybe the 2 styles in my idea books under living room. That would be wonderful to see a visual!
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 12:19PM
cleanfreek
bump
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 1:17PM
groveraxle
OK, cleen, I'm assessing your room at the moment, but it's gonna be a while. You made a good start with the curtains behind the two chairs. I'm a little disturbed that the fireplace is totally ignored and overshadowed by the behemoth media center. You said hubby wants to sell it all and replace. Question: what does he intend to replace it with?

Another question: why does the candle sconce have to stay? Gift from MIL or something? Because I liked it better when you had art over the sofa instead.

Is this still your favorite?

OK, I'm on it. But I'll have to use the sofas you're picturing now.
1 Like   April 3, 2014 at 1:45PM
cleanfreek
@groveraxle, the tv and speakers have to stay. My husband just replaced with bigger speakers! It's his passion. The circle sconce was a gift from my aunt & I love it and would rather not move it. I do see how the large picture looked more uniform but I love my candles! Yes that living room is my favorite. Would love that look throughout the entire house. Very clean. I toggle between that & traditional/oldworldish? But prefer the Mill Valley style the most.
P.S. the tan curtains in the window behind the wicker chairs are the same set I had in the dining room!
1 Like   April 3, 2014 at 2:08PM
cleanfreek
@groveraxle Sorry, I forgot......THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 3:08PM
groveraxle
With the TV and the speakers, there's not a lot to be done. Here are two slightly different looks, one with all the current equipment--though now that the speakers are BIGGER, this may not work--and one with a marvelous invention that isn't new at all, a retractable screen.

I changed your curtains to the blue in the Mill Valley home. That color would look nice in this space and add a touch of color that you need. I also doubled your media cabinet--literally. I placed identical cabinets side by side because you desperately need more storage space and to clear off the tops of things.

I am going to work on your wood stove area in a bit, but I think you should talk hubby into the retractable screen idea. They aren't that expensive from what I can see, and it really opens the area up. BTW, the art was just something I had laying around in my photo bin. It's not a recommendation.
2 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 3:26PM
groveraxle
And now that I look, the art isn't even properly hung. Ah well, I'll wait till the screen is fully retracted and hang them right.
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 3, 2014 at 3:29PM
cleanfreek
Love the blue curtains, the console table I bought off craigslist and the size was wrong from what they posted. Ideally we want one that fits in between the speakers with little space. Essentially what you created. It just takes $$$$ for those size consoles. Our equipment doesn't belong in that cabinet properly. I like the idea of a retractable screen. The only problem ( and not to give issues to what you are trying to help with) is where would the little tv go when we are watching the big one? I can clear off the top of the entertainment stand except for the center speaker. It looks better with nothing on it.
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 3:42PM
groveraxle
I assume you don't use both at the same time? The retractable screen attaches to the ceiling so it pulls down in front of the little TV.

I know long media consoles are few and far between and are expensive, which is why I suggest buying two short ones and butting them together.
1 Like   April 3, 2014 at 5:35PM
groveraxle
Part of the problem in your space is one of scale. Obviously the media behemoth, but even around the chairs and wood stove.

I painted the ledge over the wood stove surround the same color as the wall to make it disappear, and didn't put anything back on it. The star is too big, all the other stuff too small, and all of it's too high. I placed one simple wall hanging at just about standing eye level.

I have changed all the curtains to a deep unsaturated teal--way more blue than green--and hung them from near the ceiling. I removed the little table and the lamp and replaced it with a floor lamp in cream and gold (also the colors in the wall hanging and your rug).

If you're going to have a plant there, you need one that doesn't disappear.
5 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 5:42PM
cleanfreek
Love the plant and floor lamp. The wall hanging would be an issue when the fire is going. This is what is our primary source of heat in the winter. The colors of the curtains are pretty. What about a softer blue? Kinda like the pillows? I could move my floor lamp that is on the side of the loveseat in between the chairs. But not sure what would go in it's place.
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 5:49PM
cleanfreek
Here's what I tried with what I have, now I think I have to buy end tables for the love seat to replace where the floor lamp was.
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 7:22PM
groveraxle
That looks good with the floor lamp and bigger plant. Spread the middle curtain out just a tad so it's wider than the ones on the ends.

The blue I chose for your curtains was a deeper version of the pillows, but I could see a lighter, even shimmery blue there. I will Photoshop a lighter blue, and I have an idea to replace the wall hanging. I'll be back.
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 7:42PM
groveraxle
Here are lighter curtains and the star moved down to replace the wall hanging. I think the deeper curtains are more dramatic.

Also, my issue with the candle sconce is that it really doesn't have enough visual weight for over the sofa. But I don't see another place where it could go.
2 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 7:46PM
cleanfreek
i know about the middle curtain, I just accidentally pulled it open to much! It drives me nuts in these pictures. I like the lighter blue much better. Teal and green are my favorite colors but I can't decorate with teal! Let me take a closer picture of the mantel and show you why a wall hanging or the star have to go on top and not hang where you have them. I see where you are going with it but it is the only mantel I have. So it's actually a shelf up there. Wish I could have the husband take out all the rock on the other fp put up drywall and do a real mantel in white. That's a no go because we have already remodeled this house as best as $$ would allow (if I showed you before pic's you would understand) and we may not live here forever!
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 8:28PM
cleanfreek
So I like the floor lamp moved, could keep my eye out for end tables on each side of the love seat. My faux plant works for me because my little one likes to destroy plants. That's why the other was hanging! My biggest issue is the sofa area. I feel it's colorless. I know my sconce doesn't help but I love it. It's big and rustic! Maybe if I got blue curtains ( which where did you find those?) that would take care of my color problem.
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 8:33PM
cleanfreek
Sorry forgot the pictures!
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 8:36PM
groveraxle
I see the issue with the mantel over the wood stove. It's an actual shelf. At least remove the tiny votive you have up there. The rest can stay for now (though the star is still a bit too large).

I will work on the sofa area tomorrow; it's late here now. And I will keep your candle sconce, but I'm reworking the arrangement on that wall.

As for the blue curtains, I didn't actually find any. I took your old curtains and dyed them. But there will be blue curtains somewhere, and if not, maybe you'd like to learn to sew...?
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 3, 2014 at 9:48PM
cleanfreek
I only have the small votive's up there because I light them every night. I know they are small but it's a way I can have candle light up there without it pouring over and spilling. I to am going to bed! Thank you for your help so far. Everyone here has been so helpful to me!
0 Likes   April 3, 2014 at 10:02PM
groveraxle
I am having trouble reconciling your wish for more color with your other wish for blue. I have settled on a palette using your tan/goldish neutrals with blue, black, and cream. Since you already have lots of black with the media center and speakers, I added only a lamp. But it's a statement lamp.

I would get pillows, throws, storage bins in blues with some gold sparkle here and there, and use lots of cream to lighten it up and tie in with the rug.

I added a sofa table with storage in hopes that some of the stuff on the bookcase could go there. If you could style the bookcase with 1/3 dvds, 1/3 objects (including photos), and 1/3 empty space, it would be more pleasing to the eye.

I also reworked the sofa wall, giving the baby pictures the place of honor and moving the candle sconce back a bit. I would select one large photo as the focal point and add smaller ones beside it gallery style. (Please ignore the fact that I distorted your son horribly.)

Sorry it took so long, and I'm even more sorry that I'm not terribly satisfied. But I'm still cogitating, so inspiration may still strike. ;-)
1 Like   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 4, 2014 at 12:25PM
cleanfreek
No worries about taking your time. I not in the least bit worried. I like the concept and I really hate to sound ungrateful( I'm Not). This is what I struggle with because the wall sconce is not the best choice for the space, but I can not move it. I have moved things sooooo much that my husband is starting to hate me and once he put it on the wall he said it has to stay because of all the holes! I know he isn't the boss but I get his point. I have been moving stuff around for years! I am getting tired of it and that's why I am on here. I understand the color thing too, again my issues. What about another color then? I like the colors in my rug and not opposed to red just wanted something lighter since I have had brown, red, and olive green forever! Green is my favorite color.

The bookshelf looks the way it does because of the child. I used to have the baskets split up my movies but little hands get to touching! I have also moved my console table from the entry to behind the couch ( which I loved) but my son thought it would be fun to pull the table down on himself! I might be selling the fish tank and was going to move his storage table to where the fish tank is and buy another. Similar to what you posted.

Maybe if this isn't working for you either what about a more traditional style? I am moving the original couches back in and these are leaving.
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 12:42PM
cleanfreek
Bump
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 1:43PM
groveraxle
First of all, if we can find a better wall arrangement and map it out, tell hubby that you will move the stuff, and patch and paint yourself. That part is easy, but we will have the whole space planned before you move a thing.

This seems to be the playroom for both the boys--big and little--and you are trying to bring some style to a space that is basically utilitarian. I think you need to strike a deal with both of them that they can keep all their toys and use them in the room, but that YOU get to have a bit of chicness, at least when they aren't playing.

Why did you decide to switch the sofas? And are the sofas that are coming back in darker than these? One last request for now: could you post a close up of a corner of the area rug under the chairs? About all I can tell is that it has cream or ivory.
1 Like   April 4, 2014 at 2:25PM
groveraxle
New Jersey Accents above posted her collection of pillows that might work if you want to go a bit more toward teal. I put them in your room so you could see what you think.
1 Like   April 4, 2014 at 2:41PM
cleanfreek
Yes this is a playroom for both boys. I pretty much can do what I want without touching their stuff. These couches I bought by mistake. I like the color and clean lines but they are way smaller than my old ones and sink in way to much. I can see by the pillows what colors would look like and unfortunately that is not my style. It's too bright and to modern. Here are the couches that are going back and a close up of the rug. The more I look the more I think I am the "other" Traditional/Old World.
1 Like   April 4, 2014 at 3:29PM
janiehburton
Starting on the back wall, remove the tall sticks and use a tall green plant. The large clock over the aquarium is good, but I would remove the other two pictures flanking the clock. Keep the mantel decor simple - for instance, 3 pieces of off white pottery of varying heights on one end with a decorative box on the other end for balance. For privacy and light control, consider tailored roman shades in a neutral tone for window coverings and remove the drapes. Use straight panels on either side of windows hung from a large wooden rod. I keep feeling that perhaps an apple green or a soft aqua would look good with your taupe sofas and add pizazz to your comfortable looking tv room! If you have to keep the bookcase for the DVD' s, think about using baskets for storage of at least some of them, if not all. Think about refinishing the bookcase in a darker tone and using dark brown baskets to de-emphasize the storage solution. Love your home theatre!!
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 4, 2014 at 3:55PM
cleanfreek
@janiehburton, great suggestions. I have already repainted the bookshelf white. And move a few things around. I posted some more recent pictures in this post.
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 4:02PM
cleanfreek
@groveraxle, did you see that I posted the rug and couches?
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 5:11PM
groveraxle
Yes, clean, I see them. Thanks. I'm going to use that rug for color inspiration, but looking at the image with the sofas, I'm a little unsure what it is you don't like. I can tweak here and there--I'll add some pillows in your rug colors and you can see what you think--but the room looks pretty darn good. I'm not even terribly bothered by the fullness of the bookcase. I know why you have it so full, but it really doesn't look bad and adds some vibrancy to the space.

Let me see what I can do now that I see the rug up close.
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 4, 2014 at 5:49PM
cleanfreek
What about different wall colors? As long as I keep it the same color for a few years I got the ok to do what I want!
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 6:25PM
clmuller
I like the blue draperies . Don't like the star wall hanging that comes off country . I have to be honest don't like the couches I liked the old ones better .
1 Like   April 4, 2014 at 6:40PM
clmuller
Pictures are way to high above the couch
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 6:41PM
cleanfreek
The old couches are coming back in!
0 Likes   April 4, 2014 at 7:36PM
groveraxle
clean, I don't have anything to show yet for my efforts except a bunch of discarded pillows. Here is a problem: I am using the photo with the aquarium in the background, and the intense teal of the tank makes any blue pillow look drab.

I think the blue drapes behind the wicker chairs with the rug look great. As soon as we come around to where there's the fish tank and all the bright toys, it doesn't hang together.

Maybe inspiration will strike while I'm asleep and I'll awake with an answer.
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 4, 2014 at 9:36PM
cleanfreek
That's ok I struggle with it to. What about a different color? Green? I also like the tan drapes I already have. I feel the blue looks weird with my old couches. The colors of the couch is more rust, brown, and golds. I can take a picture.
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 7:46AM
cleanfreek
Here is a picture of the sofa pillow (which I had turned to where you don't see it) and my entry. I don't dislike red, just have always had it and want something different, but as I am looking I think it's the common denominator color for Kitchen, Dining, Living, and Entry. What do you think?

I showed my husband some kitchens and out of all colors this is both of our favorite scheme.

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 8:10AM
groveraxle
Some different wall colors: green, gray, white, and chocolate because, of course, everything's better with chocolate. Everything's better with bacon too, but I don't think that's a color.
4 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 5, 2014 at 2:46PM
cleanfreek
OMG!!!!! That's it! I painted the wrong color. I was trying to lighten up and what I did was make it bland. I like 2,4,&1 the best. I think the light blue is pretty but like the coziness the 2 & 4th picture give. I like the clock moved with pictures to the side. I will be doing that soon. What colors did you use?
1 Like   April 5, 2014 at 3:17PM
cleanfreek
I had chocolate brown on the tv wall, but with the other walls the darker tan it felt really dark. Would you suggest leave everything the same just paint the walls. Curtains, decor, etc.... Where did you find those pillows? I like them especially the bird. I have a thing for birds!
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 3:26PM
cleanfreek
I found the pillows, Amazon! They are so cute & love the colors. I have olive green pillows already. Now I can't decide what I like best. Maybe the green would be a good route to match my kitchen/dining area. I did have that SW Sevlte Sage. I worry my sconce and things would get lost in the choc brown. Like the grey, but it would be the only thing grey in my house, hmmmmm. There is lots to consider.
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 3:38PM
cleanfreek
Forgot to add
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 3:48PM
groveraxle
I just manipulated the color that was already on the walls, clean. But this gives you an idea where to start. First step, go raid the paint chip aisle, the brown and green rows. Bring them home and start weeding them out. Aim for the medium values in the middle of the strips. You've got plenty of light in the room, so you can easily go darker than what you have now.
1 Like   April 5, 2014 at 3:49PM
cleanfreek
With looking at my dining room (SW LATTE), what would you pick for the living room.
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 4:01PM
cleanfreek
Here was the brown and tan before
0 Likes   April 5, 2014 at 4:05PM
chookchook2
Love Grover's paint job. You said you love green, so go for the first option.
1 Like   April 5, 2014 at 4:53PM
groveraxle
It's really hard to do colors on a monitor. The dark tan that you had before is too close to the color and value of the sofas so they disappear. The only way you'll really know is to bring the samples into the room.

Try a sample of green, something with the hue of the pillows in your last photo, but lighter in value. Paint it on a board and then move it around the room and see what you think.
1 Like   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 5, 2014 at 5:15PM
1 Like   Thanked by cleanfreek    April 5, 2014 at 5:20PM
cleanfreek
Thank you groveraxle, I now have a lot to think about! But wanted to say thank you for taking the time and showing me what difference would be.
1 Like   April 6, 2014 at 11:34AM
groveraxle
You're welcome, clean. I hope it turns out to be helpful. Be sure to do the sample boards first. Then maybe crowd source the colors with people in the room. Invite everyone you know for pizza and make them vote. ;-)
2 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 4:36PM
chookchook2
Nah, make them paint!
3 Likes   April 6, 2014 at 4:44PM
cleanfreek
For some reason I seem to be the one to help everyone else but when it comes to my house nobody knows how or is available! I know I want a traditional/relaxed PB style so I am really looking things over. That's why I went with beige walls. I know the blue geo print curtains in the dining room are staying.
1 Like   April 6, 2014 at 6:26PM
chookchook2
I'm a great believer in bribery.
1 Like   April 6, 2014 at 9:29PM
cleanfreek
FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO HAVE HELPED ME, this is what I have updated to. I wanted light couches but with a family and pets, the brown won. Love the couches and my rooms are still a work in progress!
3 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 1:28PM
cleanfreek
Oops, wrong pic made it here!
1 Like   August 12, 2014 at 1:36PM
groveraxle
Nice work, clean. I like the brown sofas, and you've done a nice job of integrating that candle sconce with the pictures on the wall. Even the mantel decor looks more balanced. You deserve a pat on the back!
2 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    August 12, 2014 at 3:42PM
cleanfreek
It's not perfect but I keep plugging away! Thank you, I took some of your advice and really looked at my spaces. Still not to sure about the blue accent wall in the dining room but it's staying for now. I had my husband turn our entry way to a mud room. It works for function. Just kept staring at those PB magazines and bit by bit it is coming along. Would like to get those blue curtains you did for me and an area rug for the living room and dining room.
2 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 3:51PM
chookchook2
Well done, cleanfreek!
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    August 12, 2014 at 3:56PM
PRO
Wondrous International, Inc
have you considered a colorful tv stand? not to sit tv on it but something around it? These two designs might go well with your brown sofas.
0 Likes   August 12, 2014 at 4:31PM
tabelle70
Like the brown sofas much better!
1 Like   August 12, 2014 at 8:00PM
PRO
The Classy Home
put rug on the floor and arrange furniture according to the style you want in your living room. traditional sofa or couch looks good. you can also put traditional chaise for seating. see living room idea http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listOneCategory.asp?idCategory=397&Furniture=Stationary+Living+room+Sets
0 Likes   Thanked by cleanfreek    August 13, 2014 at 12:17AM
cleanfreek
I changed the furniture in this room. But love the pictures!
0 Likes   August 13, 2014 at 6:24AM