powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My fireplace is stuck between traditional and modern design!
kathyhornbeak
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have just moved into this single level (Spanish style-outside)home.It has quite a few design challenges for me.The one that is top of my headache list is the fireplace.Any thoughts on how to make it work with my furniture,traditional moldings and Spanish style exterior?I have wrought iron chandeliers in my adjacent room.The wall above was pre-wired for TV and juts out over the bottom granite front.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyhornbeak
I need to add that I am all for eclectic if there is a way to bring in modern elements.My budget is non-existent since we put every cent into the house.The window next to the fireplace looks out toward the ocean so I don't want to block it. Thanks all!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:24PM
rluchinski
If it were my room I would darken the colour of the whole room, and then paint quite dark around the TV to make the fireplace/tv structure look like a cohesive unit. Depends what colours you like. I usually choose warm tones, but your stone on your fireplace and your carpet are neutral enough that you should have a lot of choice about colour.....
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 5:37PM
rluchinski
Just looked at your second picture....you and I seem to share taste in furniture! I love your leather and your print. I'll attach pictures of the look I love....see what you think....very traditional and dark....(pics will be in a subsequent post....ipad doesn't let me post easily)
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:41PM
rluchinski
Here are some pics....
2 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:49PM
kathyhornbeak
The carpet is in really bad shape,so any ideas for that would be helpful too!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:49PM
PRO
Modern Age Designs, LLC
hardwood flooring definitely and have beautiful rug. For the paint color I would pull out the green or even the paprika like color. If you pick paprika you can just do the main wall in that color and leave the other ones as they are. I agree with making the wall around the TV and make it all cohesive. I would have a stationary panel on framing door. Bring in some color on that wall. If you don't want to have curtains over the one that over looks the ocean.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:18PM
kitteh
I'd probably go with keeping the items that look traditional, and try to make the other items match. Maybe with pillows and throws and rugs. I'd put a framed painting that could be easily removed over the TV. Maybe get a frame that looks gold-leaf for the mirror, and fancy curtains for the corner while painting around the doors in a dark wood color, or adding a bit of detailed molding above it and in the places above the fireplace.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:46PM
kathyhornbeak
The present color is all beige/dark cream tones.Should I paint the entire room trim the same darker tone?If I paint moldings above fireplace dark, should the flat wall trim around it be a contrast color or shade of the same color?Love the paprika color idea but I,'m afraid it might overwhelm the room.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:15PM
rluchinski
I agree that you won't want your paint to be overpowering. I wouldn't go with a bright paprika, but rather a toned down one. For trim I have seen the trim painted the same as the walls, or you could go dark. If you want to go lighter with the trim it might look better not to go stark white, but rather a light canvas colour perhaps.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 3:36AM
rluchinski

Here's a picture of a toned down paprika colour.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 3:43AM
PRO
COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
I'm afraid I need to bring the tough love.

You already know what the problem is. It's the granite around the fireplace. It doesn't go with the trim detail above in any manner.

No matter what else you do with the room (I agree with the other color recommendations), you will come back to the mantel and go "ugh".

Eclectic usually works if you play around with the furniture and fixtures, but the basic design of the house needs to be harmonious. The fireplace wall isn't working, and it will cost you some money to fix it. Since the fireplace opening itself is sitting too high off the floor for a wood mantel and non-combustible surround (not enough room to fit under the TV) the most next obvious thing here is to go with some kind of European stone mantel.

Master Bedroom

Villa Terra

If you seriously don't have the funds to deal with it right now, then I'd suggest you grab a glass of wine and try to forget about it. If you can't do that, start working on a design that will really complement your style and get rid of the elephant in the room.

If you can supply some dimensions for that wall, I'd be glad to throw together a few ideas.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 5:43AM
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
You have an ocean view!!! How lucky are you?

Your room is actually very nice, except for the stone surround and hearth of the fireplace. I agree with Coast Road, if you don't have the funds to invest in much at this time, why don't you just remove the carpeting and put down hardwood floors and an area rug for now? Maybe pull in the chairs to make a more intimate conversation/entertaining area. Add some small accessories--new pillows, prints on the walls, throw blanket on the sofa, etc. Live with it for the time being until you figure out what you really need, and save up for refacing the firebox. Even painting is a time-consuming, messy project so you don't want to make a hasty decision and then regret it.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:10AM
PRO
By Design EK
I like the idea of painting the fireplace wall and trim surround a darker color. I would just paint it, not any of the surrounding trim or walls, I like your bright cream. This would definitely work to blend in the sharp contrast of the black firebox, TV, and Granite. If you are handy with trim carpentry or know someone who is I think you could have the light grey columns on either side boxed in and also cover the thin grey mantle stone with a wood "box" them trim it and paint it to match the rest of the fireplace. This would blend the fireplace with your more traditional style. I am assuming you have a gas fireplace, even if not I don't think heat will be an issue with a larger wood mantle but you may want to check this out. I am thinking maybe a lovely green grey may complement your room but the warm paprika color sounds great too.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:22AM
kathyhornbeak
I like the box it in Idea! Would a mantle above the present stone work even if it was narrow?The light grey columns would also be thin compared to the upper wood trim area.I would love to rip out the whole thing but we plan on pushing out the french door wall to take advantage of the view..We are waiting three to four years to catch our breath financially. We will rip it out then for sure!
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:53AM
PRO
By Design EK
Kathy, It won't be any narrower than what it is if you are boxing it in. If your eventual plan is to redo entirely I don't think you have anything to lose but the cost of the wood and trims, paint and some labor. The stone mantle is pretty non existent as far as a typical mantle goes so anything bigger is better in my opinion! i hope it works out! Would love to see a picture if you decide to do it.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 10:49AM
kathyhornbeak
Thanks so much!I think it will work too.I will post a picture when the work is done!K
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 11:30AM