Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Combine a dining and living room
popitsa
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi there,

I have an open space room, in which I would like to combine living and a dining set. The room is a high ceiling, about 11 feet tall, and we are installing a chandelier right now (there was a fun there before) just because I want to make it look more formal. I only can install one light in the middle of the room and there are also many smaller spot lights on the sides of the ceiling. Also, just bought 2 8x10 red rugs, but different patterns. There is a fireplace right across my living room couch, and above the fireplace we are going to install a big tv. Last, there are two French doors next to fireplace/living room that open to a bog yard. Now, I am thinking a sideboard behind the couch, a dining set next to the sideboard, parallel to the living room couch. Also, parallel to dining set there is a small bar and I am thinking to put 3 barstools there. My question is, can I add a dining set without a light right above it? Should instead of a sideboard put a curio on the wall between the couch and dining set? Are the rugs a good idea to kind of separate the two rooms?
Any input would be greatly appreciated and helpful!
Thank you,
Pinelopi
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Manon Floreat
I would have your electrician move the chandelier to be above the dining table. I can't quite tell from the angle of the photos, but it's current position doesn't look quite practical, as it isn't illuminating either area fully. You can augment the living area lighting with floor and table lamps.

I'd place a buffet against the wall in the dining area with buffet lamps on top of it and perhaps an art piece. A slim sofa table behind the sofa.

Your idea of having two complimentary area rugs for each spice is a good one. 8 x 10 sounds good for the dining area. You just want to make sure there's about 24-30 inches for the chairs to scoot back.

It looks like the corner to the left of the fireplace would be a good spot for a comfortable arm chair and ottoman. Nice spot for a good book!
January 17, 2013 at 10:37PM   
popitsa
Thanks for the quick responce!
I will try tell him to change the lighting position when he comes to install the chandelier.
I saw some photos on houzz where they place the sideboards behind the sofa. What do you think about this? I am afraid that if I put it against the wall, there won't be enough space for the table.
An art piece I was thinking for the wall too. The dining area is pretty big, like a big dining room, but because it's an open space room I don't want to close the front, by the stairs. What do you think?
Thanks!!!
January 18, 2013 at 5:40AM   
Manon Floreat
You're welcome! I'm glad I can help.

You can certainly have the sideboard behind the sofa. My main concern is having enough room for the chairs to scoot away from the table comfortably. If you choose a slim sideboard, it may not be an issue. An easy trick is make an outline of the buffet with tape on the floor. That will show you if you have enough clearance.

Yes for the art piece in the dining area! I would also consider an art piece or grouping above the sofa.
January 18, 2013 at 10:18PM   
popitsa
Ok! Thanks! Yes, with a slim sideboard, there is definetely room for the chairs to scoot away from the table.
Thanks again for your input!
January 19, 2013 at 6:04AM