powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Would this backsplash work w/ the cabinets?
ahunt09
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,
I am working on making changes for the kitchen. I have taken suggestions from a previous post of the below picture by taking down the current curtains and planning to purchase bamboo roman shades. I have lowered the light and plan to replace it at some point. I have also removed the clutter from the cabinets. I do plan to put a rug under the table as well.
I have attempted different paint colors, but can't find the paint color I love. So, since I'm having trouble with paint colors... (wanting a color that is more elegant, soothing, and not so bright)... I'm now considering changing the back-splash to something more neutral.
Do you think the attached black-splash would work with both the counter tops and cabinets? Do you think changing the back-splash would make it easier to find a paint color?
Thank you for suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I don't think you need to change your back splash. It looks neutral enough that a lot of color will blend well with it.
January 18, 2013 at 9:11am     
PRO
Stoneshop
Your backsplash appears to be pretty neutral (at least on my monitor). Does it have burgendy and tan in it? While I do adore the stone backsplash that you posted, I think that you could work with what you have (if you like it!) and save some money on tile.

For paint, try softer, more subtle shades of colors that are in your backsplash. You could also try a creamy beige color if you want something more neutral.
January 18, 2013 at 9:23am   
ahunt09
The backsplash is an Everglade color scheme (here's the tile on a website: http://sbmtx.com/Everglade-1x2x4mm-Glass-Mosaic-Backsplash-_p_1963.html). From pictures, the lighter tile does appear cream, but it has a green tint. It's not a true cream color. Beige/cream paint does not look right on the walls with the current backsplash. The wall color is going to probably have to be some sort of green-ish cream color. People have suggested some colors of paint, but I'm having trouble finding "the one" paint color.

Thank you for your suggestions of keeping the current backsplash.
January 18, 2013 at 9:57am   
PRO
Stoneshop
You're absolutely right--in photographs it looks completely different! Thank you for the link.

If you like your backsplash, you can certainly work with it. Have you considered a light warm gray tone to pick up the charcoal in the backplash? Also, do not forget that you can mix your own paint colors! You do not always have to choose set colors from a store. If you have extra cans of paint lying around at home, try mixing them to get the one color that you love! Just be sure to keep extra stored properly on hand in case you have to do some touch-up work.
January 18, 2013 at 10:13am   
PRO
Wallmark Homes
I think repainting will be the better option and bring more vibrance than a back splash would
January 18, 2013 at 10:26am   
ahunt09
Thanks. I will try to find a good paint color.
January 18, 2013 at 11:25am     
collettec
I would try one of the grays or gray-blues that is in the tile you have now as a paint color. If you still don't think the backsplash looks right, I would think about changing out the backsplash. With the high contrast colors, it's very busy and something more muted might be a consideration. One option might be taking the color you have on the counter that is partially up the backsplash area, and using a simple ceramic subway tile in the same color as your counter, all the way up to the upper cabinets and then finding a paint color that would work with that. Or if not that, something less busy that would coordinate more directly with your counter color since it is brought up into the backsplash area. It looks a bit chopped up with the existing backsplash.
January 18, 2013 at 3:55pm   
ybatal
id lose the valances.. they look outdated...IMO
January 18, 2013 at 3:57pm   
ahunt09
Thanks. The backsplash was put in by the previous owner, so I'm not against changing it. The backsplash had to grow on me when we decided to buy the house. I never actually cared for it. I guess that might be telling me to change it. Thanks for your suggestion of putting in a color about the same as the counters. That is helpful.
January 18, 2013 at 4:38pm   
PRO
Cochrane Floors & More
Sure glad you included a link to the existing backsplash because it looks completely different that in your room shot! I quite like the mosaic you have selected and its WAY different, even warmer than what you currently have. It would really tie in the counter and cabinet tones, but also add a timeless elegance. Keep in mind as a natural product, it will need to be sealed and this can dramaticaly affect the look too. An impregnating sealer can offer a "wet-look" which darkens the entire thing (Wipe a damp cloth across the stone to get an idea of what I mean). You also have the option to seal it leaving the color as you see it now. Overall I think the mosaic would soften the look of your room and leave you with a ton of paint options that would look just brilliant! I just whipped up a real crude mock-up to help you visualize.
January 18, 2013 at 5:31pm     
205wea
Backsplash is so pretty! How did you do that mock up? (new here)
January 18, 2013 at 5:47pm     
ahunt09
THANK YOU for the visual! That looks much nicer than the current backsplash. I love that look a few home projects might be in our future. Do you have a paint color suggestion for the walls?
January 18, 2013 at 6:16pm     
PRO
Cochrane Floors & More
The mock up is done through photoshop and something I do for many clients that struggle to see an old space in a new way! As far as wall color goes, it's so fifficult to tell from a picture what would work best with the tone of the cabinets but that said, they look like a natural maple. If they haven't yellowed too much you, I would turn to the warmer tones in the backsplash to be your guide.
January 18, 2013 at 9:49pm   
makiki
I love the new backsplash! My vote is "yes" , go for it? Where did you find it?
January 19, 2013 at 2:25pm   
njmomma
Yes! go for the new back splash, lose the window valances, maybe put in roman blinds, Love the kitchen table and chairs.
January 19, 2013 at 2:59pm   
ahunt09
I found it at Lowes. Thanks for commenting!
January 19, 2013 at 5:07pm   
ginale
I like the new backsplash! In fact, I am going to Lowes to take a look. Thanks!
January 19, 2013 at 6:40pm     
sealedesign
I can;t stand that backsplash. I know that glass was in style and everyone had to have it but I never liked it. I would change it or figure out how to paint over it.
January 19, 2013 at 7:08pm     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.