Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help with our great room!
gothouseneedfurniture
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have just moved from a condo to a house and are in the process of furnishing our great room. So far, we have purchased a beautiful southern 96" sofa (LOVE!), a sofa table, and a dining room table (we still need to find the right chairs!). The wingback chairs in the photo we brought with us and are searching for the perfect fabric to have them reupholstered. In particular, I would love help with the coffee table. The one in the photo is a beautiful century oak tobacco table that we have on trial for the week. I am not sure if it is too big. It is 60" L X 46" W. I love that it has drawers and is off the floor, but I am not used to the size. Does it dwarf the couch? Is it too overwhelming for the room? Also, a designer suggested a dhurrie rug from ethan allen: http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=6750264# Is this too casual? Thank you so much for any comments or suggestions!! We are new at this!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kimdee24
I looked at the photos before I read your post and the first thing I thought was "the table's too big". Just my opinion though. Others might disagree. The length is good... just too wide I think.
January 17, 2013 at 8:28pm     
cara1
I would say that the coffee table is not quite right in your space, it seems to be overwhelming everything with its size and being so dark. I'm not sure about the colour of the rug the designer suggested, I like the pattern but think that the colour will not go with the fireplace surround which seems to have a peachy tone.
Your couch is lovely and the chairs will look great when you get them reupholstered! I also think your floors are great too.
January 17, 2013 at 8:41pm   
PRO
MSheldon Designs, LLC
Consider a sisal rug with border like Siskiyou to give the room texture and maybe throw a creamy cowhide on top. Take your time choosing the perfect fabric for the wingbacks, herringbone, large canthus leave pattern, or even an animal print. Look on Ebay for remnant fabrics and make the sofa pillows unique pieces of art. Search antique markets for vintage pillows.
Jayme H.
Like the table, but it seems a little too large...Overstock.com has a ton of really nice, affordable rugs in many styles and colors. I would think about figuring out the chairs first, then pick out a rug...so u can tie them together..although a plain rug would work with many chair patterns...u have a lovely place!
gothouseneedfurniture
Thank you so much for all of the comments! This is really helpful. I think I loved the coffee table and then didn't think it worked with the space but was trying to make myself love it in the space. With all of the comments agreeing it is too big, I will not feel guilty about sending it back. Any suggestions on coffee table sizes? I like the length too because the couch is so large... Thank you again!!
January 17, 2013 at 8:50pm   
gothouseneedfurniture
Oh - and definitely a peachy tone to the fireplace! The walls change colours and are a yellow, gold, tan, with a green undertone at night. We are thinking of going with lots of neutrals and navy as our accent (trying to find a navy fabric for the chairs with a large pattern in a neutral we thought). Any suggestions for rug colours? My husband wants to add more colour.
January 17, 2013 at 8:52pm   
trasgorshek
I really like the rug you have mentioned but I also love MSheldon's idea. That's actually what I'm getting ready to do with our room. In regards to the table, looks a little wide for the space. If you want more surface space for the table maybe more rectangle then and take some of the length out. Personally I think a very nice glass rectangle table would be pretty, especially if you put cowhide underneath. And then pick a beautiful fabric for the wing backs like a gold chenille with a nailhead trim then pattern on pillows. Beautiful home! Love the doors and your flooring, gorgeous!
January 17, 2013 at 9:01pm   
Jayme H.
Not sure how much pattern in the rug u would want if u r going with a striped fabric..but here goes..sorry put one twice
January 17, 2013 at 9:08pm   
Jayme H.
forgot one: was not sure if it was blue or grey in the last large patterned rug....the above furry ones have different colors, sorry they r hard to see.
January 17, 2013 at 9:11pm   
Jayme H.
This one is more traditional
January 17, 2013 at 9:21pm   
gothouseneedfurniture
Thanks Jayme! I really like the first floral and the sisal rug. Even though we lean towards traditional, we are trying to go more transitional in the rug because it suits the house better (has a bit of a cottage feel to it). Overstock.com was a great idea too - I didn't know that they now deliver to Canada either! YES!
January 17, 2013 at 9:29pm     
Jayme H.
Because u said "color" wanted to show u this room too: I realize it is a more formal room, but does have a colorful rug with some blue...
January 17, 2013 at 9:44pm   
swewer
Exceptionally nice room. Those wood doors almost need a soft ivory drape on either side to soften it up . Four years ago I moved to a home twice the size of our former house. I felt overwhelmed with the sheer size and space of it. Some ceilings were so tall, dwarfing the furniture. I made some rash decisions instead of taking my time to get the FEEL of the house, the daylight, night time light, the environment outdoors, furniture style etc. I was so busy filling up empty spaces. Now four years later I have re-thought much of what I have started with and have begun to Re-d0 much of it, mostly colors and styles. So my advice is - be patient, get a feel for the new personality of your home, neutrals can never disappoint, and for color, add small pieces here and there that you can easily swap out or re-cover when styles and trends change. Classic lasts longer than trend. Nothing wrong with under doing it than over doing it, too. Time will add stuff to the house all on its own. You will miss the sparse days you are having now.
January 17, 2013 at 10:26pm   
rhewins
Hi gotthehouse - the space looks great and thought you might want to see how a smaller table, area rug and different chair option (in a color to complement the rug) would look in your room + added a little wall art and a standing vase. I did this on the Crate&Barrel website with their 3D room designer program.
January 18, 2013 at 6:33am   
PRO
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors
I love the BIG coffee table. Remember the function, people need to reach it so it is very useful. If you go small don't center it or else it will look like a postage stamp in the room . You can also layer the table with accessories. Like the photo the coffee table features lots of elements. You can pretty much do any area rug you want but I suggest you keep to the "Cape Cod" look.
January 18, 2013 at 7:00am   
gothouseneedfurniture
That is awesome! What a great program! Thank you!
January 18, 2013 at 7:03am   
ybatal
dont like the ethan allen rug.Boring IMO... if you get a big splash of a rug that is more dramatic it will balance the coffee table
January 18, 2013 at 7:10am   
ybatal
then add bold pillows on the sofa w a trow that goes with the boldness of the rug
January 18, 2013 at 7:11am   
pepperdrink
Love the coffee table. But way oversized for the area
January 18, 2013 at 7:11am   
Jayme H.
I am on the fence about the table...it is cool and the space is large...if they can move around it freely and plan to use the area frequently...coffee cups, laptops, playing games, etc...Maybe it would be fine. Agree with adding some color and a rug with a bit of color, although I like the sissal/plain look too.
January 18, 2013 at 7:14am   
More Discussions
Wall decor
Suggest some decorative ideas for the the wall.
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
SOUND OFF: Accent Walls - Yes or No?
Do you love accent walls and/or have one in your home?...
Wall decoration decision, need help!
Hi there! I am trying to make my living room look fresh...
Just moved in and need help! Blank slate!
19x21 room with lots of potential! Need help with...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.