Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP! How can we panel over fireplace?
terribwalker
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a very dated stone living room fireplace circa 1950. We want to put traditional white paneling over it and add a mantle. Then, we'd mount a flat screen over the mantle. Is this possible? Our concern is having the paneling extend over all of the stone coming up to the firebox. For safety reasons, we are concerned that maybe we should leave a portion of the stone around the firebox. This is a wood burning fireplace and we use it often. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
I agree you would need to leave some stone exposed as protection from the fire. You could cover the exposed stone with something else, I love the cobble stones used in the link below. There are 2 other fireplaces which illustrate quite nicely what yours would look like- numbers 4 and 11 in the same link. Hope that helps! http://www.bhg.com/decorating/fireplace/styles/stone-fireplace-design-ideas/
January 18, 2013 at 2:15AM     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
The code requires 12" minimum non-flammable surface to the sides and 16" to the top of the firebox (IBC)... Assuming that there is building code enforcement. Laminating slab over the existing stone is doable, a parge coat of mortar to achieve a smooth surface would be necessary. Talk to your contractor and the mason. Paneling the upper section and adding a mantle are fairly straightforward. The integrity of the existing stone is paramount. One thing to note, most electricians will not mount a flat screen to masonry. They want the screen mounted directly to structural studs. One way to do that is to create an overhang above the mantle, supported by columns. This pushes the over mantle into the negative space of the room and adds architectural interest to the wall. I'll try to post a picture of a current project later today.
January 18, 2013 at 5:30AM     
terribwalker
Thank you both for the advice and ideas.
January 21, 2013 at 8:41PM   
kathihv
We have the same Indiana sandstone fireplace and have been looking at updating the look. Our stone appears to be just a "face" type stone and thus easier to completely remove than you might think. You may want to consider a fire rated tile or marble to meet building codes around the fire box itself and then build your mantle/surround from that point . This would also give you the option of providing proper support and chase-ways for the television mount and wiring.
January 21, 2013 at 9:14PM   
kathleen MK
With wood paneling and mantle you could use tile or slate for the non-flammable surround. It depends on what style you want.
January 21, 2013 at 9:20PM   
More Discussions
Need help with blueprint
The problem is the placement of the fireplace. I planned...
Need help determining tile direction
We have a long, narrow room (8x20) that we are turning...
Backsplash question
Would you tile above the range hood here? Thinking...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong
Hello All - Today I finally had the courage to get...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.