Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
LVL to Replace Load Bearing Wall
christian2012
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello, First I love this Website, Makes owning a home, even though I cant afford it, worthwhile.
I am going to tear down as much wall space as possible to open the floor plan, and make the living space work better.
The Double King Studs on the left are almost directly above the first Lally in the basement, holding a triple 2x10. When I change this wall to two 2x91/2 LVL's I want to make sure that I have a good support under the subfloor. So, If I build up the triple 2x10 in the basement with triple 2x6 cripples, directly under the Double Jack Studs...I should be Ok ..
? Wasnt sure about the floor plate ( 2x4 ) spaning the plywood subfloor
16", the two floor joists underneath or build a triple jack from the girder up flush to the underside of the Subfloor.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
Please don't implement any advice given on Houzz for a project like you are undertaking. Half baked advice from someone who's credentials you don't know and whose opinions are based on a few photo's could be disastrous. Call an Architect or Structural Engineer. Saving a few hundred dollar evaluation isn't worth the damage that could be done to your home guessing the answers to your questions. Not to mention the safety to you, your family and guests, and your home's resale value.
January 18, 2013 at 3:45am   
creeser
I love houzz and the advice, but I do agree with Main Line in that you need someone to come and look at what you have. They also need to be up on city codes. Get references on whoever you hire to come out and take a look.
January 18, 2013 at 4:28am   
PRO
World Contracting LLC
"...I should be Ok .. "

as Main Line said, this is not an engineering forum, and additionally all of the load calculations need to be submitted to your building department (in the US anyway) with an engineer's raised stamp on it (3 copies) . If you receive approval and a permit, than you should have a detailed plan for your alteration.
January 18, 2013 at 4:28am     
More Discussions
Need help flipping this living room!
Just bought this home. All furniture will be replaced....
How to accessorize a white desk...
I finally bought the west elm parsons desk in white....
What are your thoughts on embossed wallpaper?
It's definitely an interesting alternative to plain...
Framed Burlap
Both side by side or one?
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.