Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need hep choosing accent color
jwoo
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have an open concept space for my kitchen/family room/dining room. All walls are painted the same grey. I have accented my kitchen and dining room with red. I am replacing the leather furniture with a grey sectional. I'm wondering what color I can use as an accent color for my family room rug/throw cushions/etc. Do I have to carry out the red to be consistent or can I change it up with a complimentary color? The pictures are showing 1) the view from the kitchen looking into the family room 2) the view from the family room looking into the kitchen, and 3) the adjacent formal living room that is separated by french doors.

The colors I was considering were yellow OR lime green OR blue (to carry out from the formal living room) OR red to be consistent. What do you think?????

Sorry for the sideways picture, I couldn't figure out how to change it once I added it :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon Schluenz
How deep are you into the red accents? Before you go any further with it, I would suggest a darker red are deep orange instead. It works better with greys. Red and grey can look a little 80's. You might also want to bring in some texture, on the fireplace. I would suggest a sisal ( woven grass) wallpaper application. You might also think about a stone accent tile around the fireplace. Are you keeping the painting in the living room? The light blue, terra cotta, and deep red are great colors. Grey is a great place to start for a base. You can really go with any colors you want. I would definitely keep it consistent throughout, since the space is open concept. Just dont make it too matchy-matchy. Mix it up and have fun.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 6:35AM
jwoo
Thanks Jon!!! I only have a few red accents throughout, flowers, bar stools, cannisters and a little red in some artwork in the kitchen. I would prefer to put another color in the family room, I just wasn't sure if it would flow. Yes to the painting in the living room. Would you change it?
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 6:48AM
Jon Schluenz
If the painting is a piece you are connected to, then no, I would consider getting it framed or at least trimmed out to give is some finish. Looking at the picture again, I think the terra cotta is a great color. Modern, yet earthy. Id work with that a little.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:25AM
jwoo
Thanks again, Jon!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:33AM