Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with L shaped living room
T. Robinson
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our living room is long, it was originally two small rooms but we took a wall out. We are now getting ready to try and sell the house and I know we need to do something with the room but I just don't know how to arrange the furniture that would work well. We are going to get rid of the desk (obviously the toys too and will declutter) and thinking of making this a little sitting area in front of the fire place with some chairs, side table and rug. Or we could try to completely rearrange and put the tv where the desk is and try to arrange the furniture around the fire place to make that more of a focal point? I truly have no idea what to do and have no design abilities at all so am open to any and all suggestions of how to stage this room better.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
Definitely remove the desk and all the toys and clutter, I would put a sitting area using two chairs in front of the fireplace and maybe paint the built in cabinets the same color as the wall so they don't stand out so much
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 6:31AM
T. Robinson
Thanks, we are planning to paint the walls a more neutral color. The back wall next to the french doors actually runs through the front hallway and all the way upstairs to the second floor and we painted that a more neutral yellow than the rest of the room. I think it was called Belgian Waffle, so that is probably what we will do for the rest of the room so I think the built ins will blend a little more and not stand out so brightly.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:41AM
PRO
A nice area rug would help to anchor the space as well, I love the prints on the wall in the black frames!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:47AM
T. Robinson
I have been doing some searching online today and had a couple ideas and just wanted to see what people thought. We are also thinking about getting new furniture too if need be since after 3 kids ours definitely look older than their 5 years.

First we are going to paint the wall lights to match the rest of the hallway. Then I was thinking of a sectional sofa where our current sofa is but a bit small and the return would fit under the window. I would like to get a smaller end table or at least a floor lamp for that corner as well. Hopefully the couch would be short enough we could move the current end table to the other side of the couch next to the built on on that wall. We have a table in our entryway that if we got rid of the love seat on that short wall I think we could move under the tv. The only thing is the table is a light shade of wood than our current coffee and end table, would that look bad? The table is similar in color to the one in picture. For a rug I like this one in the picture to pull in some red from the window coverings and then throw pillows in more red and beige for the couch. Then a separate small sitting area with chairs, side table in front of the fire place. Am I on the right track or need to go back to the drawing board?
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 5:19PM
jenpa8
If you are only doing this to sell your house I wouldn't buy any new furniture unless you are really buying for your new house. A sectional sofa really needs to be bought for the space it's going to stay in, the pic is lovely but I wouldn't invest in it unless you know for sure where it's going in the new place. If you just clear everything out and paint, your buyers can imagine the space as a blank canvas and make it their own. Think about how to reveal the good bones of the house and leave it as open as possible.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 5:46PM
PRO
I agree with Jenpa8, if you are going to sell this house you may want to hold off on buying furniture unless you know for sure it will work in the next house, your ideas are great though, love the red rug!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:16AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
This is a great space, it just needs organization and perspective - a buyer's perspective. You are looking to "stage" this room, not re-furnish it. I would start with taking out one of the sofas - either put it on the wall where the desk is or put it in storage. There is too much furniture on one side of the room (TV focused) and nothing but "air" on the other. Staging vs. refurnishing is more what you should be looking for.

Area rugs will allow you to create two separate spaces and an elegant, simple seating arrangement in front of the fireplace will set off the "selling feature" of the fireplace...not the current focus around the wall mounted TV.

For less than $1000 (and a visit to Ikea) you can have two great spaces, complete with elegant chair and two rugs, that will sell the house...which is what it was meant to do in the first place.

I'm using my "from a buyer's perspective" for this post.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 10:49AM
T. Robinson
Ok, thank you. So would it look better if I move the love seat over to the wall where the desk is and then get a chair to go next to it but facing the fire place. Then a floor lamp so it would be a nice place to sit and read. Then do I get another chair to put where the love seat was between the two windows? If I get a rug for each area as well do they have to be the same rugs or should be they be different?

I would love to go to ikea but the closest one is two hours away.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:39AM