Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I paint over all this wood ?
Joni
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Background....2story home built it 1988 with honey oak everywhere! I am SICK of all the wood in this house!!

Our tv/family room is right off the kitchen. I just painted the kitchen melange green (Sherwin williams) and I love it! Onto tv/fam room...wood wood and more wood. Would you paint over it? I want to do the walls a soft light blue and the fireplace wall (that's brown now) I want to do a dark charcoal gray.

Would you paint over the mantel? The ceiling beams? the wood that's below the chair rail? (I am thinking the dark gray and light blue (or white?) for that. helppp! (disregard furniture, it's leaving soon!)

thank you!!!!!!!!

Joni
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
You're right, there is a lot of wood. Repainting the wood could run into also the doors, window trim, etc. It can get hard to paint one area..IE: the wainscoating and then not the rest...I have run into this before and think usually all one color looks best whether it's painted or not. You could lighten up the paint in the room, paint the ceiling beams white and go from there..blue should not look bad with that wood trim. Not trying to discourage u from painting wood white, but I would be prepared to do it all, including the doors.
January 18, 2013 at 7:03AM     
Dar Eckert
The ceiling beams look a little darker than the window trim. I would start by re-staining the fireplace mantel a dark espresso color maybe try to get darker color like the beams. Use Min-Wax gel. It is a finish and color in one. I think I would try removing the chair rail and wainscotting and the trim around the ceiling. Then decide whether to continue re-staining trim or just to paint.
January 18, 2013 at 7:25AM     
sfrealtor
Yes, paint the wood. Honey oak is very dated. A fresh coat of paint will instantly update the room.
January 18, 2013 at 9:20AM     
decoenthusiaste
I would leave the beams, match a new mantel to them in scale and color. All other wood I would paint a satin finish creamy white.
January 18, 2013 at 9:34AM     
hmschoolmom
If you are tired of the wood, definitely paint it. It will look amazing in a creamy white that complements whatever color (looks like blues?) that you are planning. Leave your beams for last. Since they are darker they may add a lot to the room left dark. I think they look nice, but the wainscoting would be prettier updated with paint.
January 18, 2013 at 12:24PM     
Jennifer Moslander
I vote for painting the wood. Look at Dover White by Sherwin Williams.
January 18, 2013 at 12:30PM   
Judy M
Leave the beams, paint the rest. Window trim, doors, lower half of walls, make a decision on the mantel after the rest is painted. some of those blue paint chips look bright! Maybe show a pic of the new furniture for some wall color suggestions.
January 18, 2013 at 12:40PM   
mmilos
Compared to my late 1950s ranch house, I don't think it has too much wood and looks nice. :-)
But you wouldn't get complaints from me if you decided to paint it out.

A more decorated option might be to paint out the wood trim darker.
January 18, 2013 at 1:09PM   
Jayme H.
Not disagreeing at all that white/off white would look good...just know how much work it would be to do it all, and that should be considered...Good luck, hope u do what makes u the happiest!!
January 18, 2013 at 4:58PM   
lindalblock
I'd stain the mantle dark like the beams. I'd paint the wood on the wall bottom white and paint the top of the walls a soft color. Painting the window trim and doors opens a can of worms that could be never ending.
January 18, 2013 at 7:57PM   
More Discussions
Need help with decorating narrow living room and walls
Hello, We just recently moved into our new home...
It all started with the island
But then i realized… This kitchen needs more than...
Which sofa/s would you change out?
I have got a lot of large black leather sofas in our...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Need help for our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.