Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Re-do tiny bath
Marsha Clark
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Recently purchased old cottage. This is only bath. Lots of damage on walls, so I plan to gut it and start over. Looking for better layout to be able to get to sink with sitting on toiet. I desire tub. Behind the sink is closet of third bedroom. Do you think I need to loose the closet to give it more room? Window limits where I can mount mirror,
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
Yes I would definitely use the extra space from the closet, that way you wont have to sit on the toilet to reach the sink! The whole vanity can be recessed back into that space and you will much more room
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:31AM
Marsha Clark
I am single person living here, so one bath will work but I really want to be able to soak. This might be hopeless. To the right is the tub and to the left is linen closet. I will attach the other pics I have, but I dont think they help.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:34AM
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
I agree to remove closet. If you like to soak, Make sure your new tub is soaking height.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 7:50AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Remove the tub and closet. Put sink where tub was and new tub under window.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 7:58AM
pollyannagal
Depends on whether you can replace the storage space in the bedroom if you remove the cupboard - how big is that room?

I would do a small vanity beside a toilet with concealed cistern. The countertop can extend over the cistern and the basin be to the right hand side. If you then have the mirror on the wall beside the basin it would be fine and a lot less awkward than the current arrangement. Maybe you could add a shallow wall cupboard to the left of the toilet to provide additional bathroom storage.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:04AM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Take over closet space ans recess vanity into former closet area. Agree with Jonathan, consider Kohler Archer tub that provides a decent soaking depth but sides that are not so tall that is does pose a tripping hazard when using the shower.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:04AM
jcoreyclark
I love the idea of the tub under the window. It's so intentional! Being there is a linen closet behind the door, then a pedestal sink would be ideal where the tub currently is located.

Traditional Bathroom design
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:59AM
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
I would definitely take the closet from the other room & incorporate to this bathroom especially since this is your main bathroom. Moving the tub closer to the window & using a small vanity which can be mounted to the wall would make the space look larger. A nice mirror & good lighting will also help. Make sure you choose a nice window blind for privacy. Once you are done, this place will look really great. Good Luck with your project.

Remya Warrior Designs.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:25AM
cassidyd
Allot of people are suggesting you put the bathtub under the window which is aesthetically lovely but if you are installing a shower there (which I assume you are as it is the only bathroom) I would discourage you from going that route unless you tear out the window and install a new window with the proper sealing to make sure everything is watertight otherwise you could end up with mold problems and a damaged window and/or wall.
I might suggest leaving the toilet where it is currently located, taking out the bedroom closet, moving the bathtub down where the closet is currently and putting in a new sink to the right of your newly located bathtub.
Hope this helps, good luck!
3 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:43AM
Marsha Clark
Thank you all for your suggestions. These are spme very good ideas and included a few measures I was not considering.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 12:02PM
Vicki D
If I understood correctly, the linen closet on the right side of the tub. If so (and it is within the bathroom), I would sacrifice the linen closet before I would give up the bedroom closet. Depending upon the size of the (former) linen closet - a pedestal if a small space, a vanity if a larger space - can occupy this area. Yeah, it's an odd layout with the sink not being next to the toilet but I don't think it would be a major inconvenience since the room is so small. Conversely, the sink could go under the windo with the mirro on the side wall and the toilet can go into the former linen closet. Now, if the linen closet backs into your third bedroom, then I would agree with utilizing the bedroom closet and convert the linen closet into a small bedroom closet. However, my first scenario would leave most of the plumbing intact which would be less expensive.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 12:15PM