Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help deciding on counter tops for farm house addition
adayinthecountry
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help deciding on what counter tops to choose. The kitchen cabinets are painted Benjamin Moore 'Simply White' . The floors are reclaimed Elm wood *which are hard to see in the pictures as they are covered with cardboard for now) and the walls are Ben Moore Manchester Tan.
I was thinking 'coffee brown' granite for the perimeter counters and maybe white marble for the island top or a wood top. Or dark granite on all surfaces.
The addition is on a century farm with a regency stone cottage attached.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
Gosh, so many options here!

Honed Black Granite or Soapstone on Perimeter would look wonderful, too.

[houzz=MirasolĀ® Black Honed Soapstone Slab]
Then Maybe Carrara or Statuary or Calcutta Backsplash

[houzz=Statuary Stone Mosaic]

And Carrara or Statuary or Calcutta Marble on the Island..

[houzz=Calacatta Borghini Stone Tile]
[houzz=Calacatta Oro]
January 18, 2013 at 9:19am     
tdherdes
Thank You! Wonderful suggestions!
January 18, 2013 at 9:28am     
PRO
Stoneshop
Before I even read AggieDesigns post I was thinking soapstone as well! It gives some nice contrast and will definately contribute to that farmhouse feel. It would look beautiful with that Statuary herringbone backsplash shown above! If you want more of a rustic look, I would go with a butcher block island--they look beautiful in cherry! Just remember that they can show signs of wear.

[houzz=The Woodshop of Avon]
[houzz=White kitchen]
January 18, 2013 at 9:33am     
PRO
Dream Designs
If you have children, like to drink wine, and like to cook with foods with a high acidity, stay away from marble. Marble "etches" which means that anything without a neutral Ph will burn the polish off. Marble also scratches and dents very easy in comparison to granite. When considering granite, black polished granite will show everything from water spots to dust, so something with variation is much better such as Brown Pearl or Antique Brown. I am a huge fan of granite, as it will not burn, and the only thing that will scratch it is something harder than itself. Granite has to be sealed, but a good fabricator will offer a sealer that will be good from 5-15 years, and re-sealing stone is very easy. Hope this helps:)
January 18, 2013 at 9:39am     
Aggie Purvinska
I don't think there is anything more beautiful than worn white marble. I love it.
January 18, 2013 at 9:43am     
Jean Tuck
Yes I love this space to.
January 18, 2013 at 10:39am   
Brooke Olson
I had marble and if was horrible. UHHHHH. Not just red wine, anything acidic ruins it. Vinegar, lemon juice, even apple juice destroyed the finish.

But what about wood? I love these countertops.
January 18, 2013 at 10:49am   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Great looking kitchen! Your attention to detail as it relates to the influence of a mid 1800's country home is wonderful...the appreciation for days gone by using reclaimed elm floors, the casual elegance of uncomplicated architectural detailing and appropriate, straight forward kitchen layout and styling. Bravo!

I suggest you continue along the same mid century influence by looking at materials that were available at that time and possibly from that area. Since your island has legs, it brings to mind a kitchen table ...a country kitchen table with a thick wooden top of large planks of hand scraped butternut or wormy chestnut or some other imperfect wood that only gets better with age. Seal it with a penetrating product not urethane to develop a patina (like Behlen's Salab Bowl Finish FDA approved for food areas).

Honed Vermont slate has a wonderful organic color palette that provides contrast yet blends nicely with the white, natural wood and tan of the walls. I would use it for the tops and as full pieces for the backsplash. If you choose not to use full pieces for the splash, then use a simple hand-glazed ceramic tile preferrably with a texture where the glaze provides the depth of color that exists in the other natural materials in the room.

Maintain your sophisticated, straight forward styling of the room and avoid the trends that are not consistent with this mid-1800's-country-house-influenced kitchen.
January 18, 2013 at 10:50am     
adayinthecountry
Thank you for your kind and valuable comments! Wow, I have a lot to think about. I do want to keep it casual (sometimes white kitchens can be very formal) It is a farm with horses and a dog and lots of muddy foot wear.
We do have a country harvest dark pine kitchen table with black chairs and an over sized sideboard which I painted black. I don't want to do a black and white theme, but I do like the hits of black in a room.
I will take a look at the honed Vermont slate.
Thank you!
January 18, 2013 at 11:16am     
PRO
Stoneshop
Great! Keep us posted on your progress :)
January 18, 2013 at 1:34pm     
Judy M
I vote dark soapstone on perimeter and wood on island. I have a wormy chestnut counter on my island and love it. Wish I had gone with soapstone. Beautiful kitchen and love your Golden!
January 18, 2013 at 1:40pm     
PRO
STUDIO MB
I did this for one of my clients kitchen...similar to the color scheme above
January 18, 2013 at 1:45pm