Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Center Piece for Island - any ideas?
242work242
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi everyone - we're updating our kitchen and recently had a large island installed with the idea that it could also be a table to eat at. We'd love some suggestions on a center piece. btw still have to swap out the chandelier for some pendant lights. Thnx in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Keep it low and long. I like the idea of green things in a kitchen. How about trying a long planter filled with herbs. It is beautiful and functional.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:35AM
PRO
Dytecture
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:23AM
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
Herbs are a fantastic idea to include in any kitchen. But since you have that beautiful window, I would keep my herbs closer to the window. How about a bowl of fruits which you use always? I also love candles. It would be nice to have the candles on either side of your bowl of fruits.
I would love to see a picture of pendant lights you select. Beautiful kitchen!!

Remya Warrior Designs
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:34AM
tennisanyone
Honestly, I don't think a centerpiece will really matter with such a HUGE TV as the focal point. You have such a beautiful kitchen, can you put the tv somewhere else.? OK herbs would be good.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:46AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
@Remya Warrior Designs good point about the herbs. I do like the fruit bowl idea but it needs to be long and narrow. I did see a cool grass planter with alternating open spaces for flowers, fruit etc.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:51AM
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
@tennisanyone I agree with you. This is such a beautiful kitchen & the huge TV is the focal point instead of the beautiful cabinets. Thank you Interiors International.Since this is a transitional looking space I thought minimalism would work better.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 12:09PM
PRO
Glenna Partridge Garden Design
I think a long low bowl of fruit looks good and makes sense in the kitchen. Maybe a covered glass cake stand? Pretty to look at and practical when filled with yummy treats! I had one and every time my friends came over they always wanted to know what treats awaited them.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 12:13PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Baskets...all shapes and sizes can hold placemats and napkins, flat or rolled. Add a brightly colored crock pots with fruit . Metal or wooden boxes with lids to hold paper, pens, etc for grocery lists or notes.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:00PM
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
The Kitchen looks bottom heavy. I'd start by treating the walls above the cabinetry with wall paper, Something architectural would work nicely. Encaustic paper is an embossed material which can be painted once it is on the walls. Elizabeth Dow is one manufacturer who does these in cool modern designs.
For the centerpiece of your Island you might look for a long low vessel with a primative quality. Carved wood pieces from Indonesia or Bali can be interesting. Fill the container with smooth stones and moss or mini succulents. If you go this route you can find beautiful pierced metal globes for lighting. Check out "Snob Stuff" online. Good Luck
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:20PM
tennisanyone
I agree with Jeffrey Designs, too-bottom heavy. Never thought about embossed wallpaper. Could work. I still can't get past the tv. Just put out nuts. It feels like a sports bar. 242, Its so nice but the tv is killing me.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:33PM
littlemiss6
I love your kitchen! Because the TV is across from the table you might not want something tall to block your view. Your kitchen has a lot of basic colors so I would recommend something that would give it a big color pop. A low and wide glass bowl with clear glass beads and some fake colorful flowers might be just what you need! here is an example:
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Backsplash - what color and material?
I'm almost finished with a total kitchen remodel and...
Cost of heated driveway and entry stairs.
Will be replacing a black top circle driveway and concrete...
Color clueless
PLEASE..! Please ..! Please...! Help me find the best...
How to hide closet doors
I am looking for suggestions on how to hide these doors....
Room makeover advice to contemporary
Just bought new house and want a contemporary style....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.