Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Light fixture for the dining room
dtpitt
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Would like some advice on a fixture for this dining room. Open concept, but dining area is 8'X13'. Table is 42" wide.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The furniture is so traditional and the light is contemporary which way do you want to go with this room?
January 18, 2013 at 10:33AM   
dtpitt
The light fixture was left over from previous owners. We live in a coastal area, so I'm also thinking of reupholstering the seats to "casual" them up.
January 18, 2013 at 10:49AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You might think about slip covering them. It is a cool look for the beach. You can than change them out in the winter to just the chairs with a fun seat fabric.
January 18, 2013 at 10:54AM   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
That last bit of info helps. You really can do many things with the light fixture, but staying more traditional is the first step. Your furniture has a french country vide to it but being coastal you can add a little bit of that style into your fixture as well. Price point will make a difference too. Chandeliers can make a room so consider stretching your budget as afar as possible for the right tone.
Salento 6-Light Chandelier
Regina Andrew Scalloped Wood Bead Chandelier
Regina Andrew Rusted Arm Antique Chandelier with Shells-Small

Here are a few that I thought could add to your space. But again, I am not sure of a price point or size.
January 18, 2013 at 11:03AM     
nadya215
What do you think about those fixtures? They will spice a little bit your dining room.
January 18, 2013 at 11:06AM     
mcgibs55
I think a drum pendant would go good, especially if you use the colour from your accent wall in the pattern like this one:
January 18, 2013 at 11:10AM     
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
It looks like the table is offset in the space and that you need to walk past this dining area to get to another living area. You may want to consider a linear fixture that further defines a rectangular space within your open floor plan. Circa Lighting has their Flemish linear pendant. It is not bulky, it would work well with your furnishings and it is a quality fixture. I've worked with their products many times. circalighting.com
January 18, 2013 at 12:05PM     
January 18, 2013 at 12:19PM     
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
Love the chandeliers with the beach theme posted by Peltier Interiors. They have the traditional casual look which goes with your existing furniture.
January 18, 2013 at 12:33PM     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Thanks Remya warrior designs! I also LOVE the chandeliers posted by decoenthusiaste, I was trying to find some of those and came across some of the others I found instead.
January 18, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Aggie Purvinska
Maybe the Glass Jar Pendant is better here...since it is a bit casual..

[houzz=
]
January 18, 2013 at 12:46PM     
tennisanyone
I would paint the chairs to a more "coastal" color, recover the chairs, get a rug and a drum chandalier.
I like the paint color and would go more in that direction.
January 18, 2013 at 12:59PM   
dtpitt
Thanks for all the great feedback. Lots to think about. Don't want to go too overboard on the beach motif since this is a year round residence. I infuse beach life somewhat nonchalantly within the condo.
January 18, 2013 at 1:53PM     
dtpitt
Peltier: I was looking at the Salento piece on Horchow the other day. Like the neutral look of this piece. Unfortunately, anything that I seem to find is pretty big. That piece is 32" in diameter. I'm thinking I've got to stick more with something in the 23" range since the area, though open, is 13X8 and the table width is 42.
January 18, 2013 at 2:29PM   
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
not sure your style but i would go with a longer one than round
January 18, 2013 at 2:57PM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
This is Visual Comfort lighting that may be of interest.
January 18, 2013 at 4:24PM   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I see what your saying on size. I was actually concerned more about the height, the 'salento' looks tall to me. But I just did a quick measurement sketch. Although it is 32" wide its very 'light' looking so I am not so concerned. Plus it is not as wide or wider than your table. I like a statement chandelier in a room. Whether it is a huge pendant or an amazing chandelier, I think if you like that 'salento' the width would work out because it is so delicate looking. Plus it will help for the length of your table to have something 32". Chandeliers can be tricky because you cannot really measure them and visualize them in the space as easily as some other furniture pieces. What is the current size of that pendant you have now?
January 18, 2013 at 5:19PM   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
when you have a moment can you take additional photos? One looking straight on from the side and another from the end. That way I can visualize a little better how big a 32" chandelier would look over the table. Thanks!
January 18, 2013 at 5:21PM   
dtpitt
The pendant is 17" in diameter. The height is about 10". The ceiling is 8'9".
January 21, 2013 at 11:51AM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Another idea
January 22, 2013 at 9:43PM   
Darzy
I like A. Peltier's first chandy photo. Works with your furniture and art/mix.
January 22, 2013 at 10:06PM   
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
Great ideas you're getting! Lighting is something we specialize in and just reading what you've written that you're really not trying to be totally thematic but you want a bit of a beach vibe, here is what immediately comes to mind when I see your space, all at really great price points. Don't let the store name fool you, I've put a ton of their lighting in high end homes with excellent results:
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/george-kovacs-alecia-39-s-necklace-18-inch-wide-chandelier__t0023.html
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/forecast-alexis-satin-nickel-3-light-rectangular-chandelier__g8823.html
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/artcraft-morocco-23-inch-wide-chrome-pendant-light__t2017.html
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/brandon-collection-3-light-polished-silver-pendant__g3449.html
January 22, 2013 at 10:25PM     
bellandromeda
Well this is the coolest thing I would light I love to suggest:
January 22, 2013 at 10:40PM   
PRO
Architectural Antiques
We've got some awesome chandeliers and fixtures, check out archantiques.com. I'll post a few that I think would look great in your space, but you should check out our other inventory as well. Good luck!
January 23, 2013 at 8:55AM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
You have said your dining space is 8’x13’ with a 42” wide table. Lighting industry standards recommend a 21” chandelier. And if that doesn’t look quite right, then another guideline says no wider than 50% the size of the table or no less than 10” between it and the side of the table. When determining distance to the table hang 28”-36” above it and no closer to a wall than 48” on and on and on.

With all this being said, the best determination of placement and size is the desired outcome. In your case, you do not have a spacious, isolated room where designers have a broader opportunity for creative placement and styling. Your decision will affect your entire living area. Do you want the chandelier to be a prominent focal point and light source for the overall living space? Or, do you want it to help in defining the 8’x13’ dining area with minimal influence on other spaces? How intimate do you want your dining experience to be? How do you want to react when you are standing next to it or sitting under it relative to line of sight and bulk? Each outcome requires a different fixture size and location. After you have had time to consider and answer these questions, then you will be in a better position to select the appropriate fixture.
January 23, 2013 at 2:54PM     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.