powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ok I'm obsessing- do these chairs work in this space?
Janelle H
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I asked about 2 other pairs of chairs yesterday and people were so helpful! But my husband hated the chairs that I originally wanted. He likes this set. Will it work in the space? The fireplace will be painted white this weekend- it doesnt work...Furniture will be re- arranged, some furniture will leave to my husbands office. This is our first house, and we have gotten some great advice from this site!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aggie Purvinska
They look a bit fussy to me, but if that's his thing...

If this were my pick, I would go with two chairs like the Blue one closer to us in the picture and an end table in between, a glass coffee table, two end tables with lamps on each side of sofa, a beautiful large print above sofa and on the right from fireplace, only decorative candlestics on the mantle, and most definitely A NEW CEILING FIXTURE!!!!
January 18, 2013 at 11:10AM     
patriciarhall
the fussy chairs will certainly limit you to decor. hang in there....keep shopping and try AggieDesigns advice.
January 18, 2013 at 11:16AM     
patriciarhall
Janelle, remember this beautiful room posted on your thread. show your sweet hubby these chairs as an example of what is going to make you happy for a long, long time!

January 18, 2013 at 11:21AM     
Chandani
I don't care for the grey-blue wing chair, and also prefer the blue chair. I like your couch and I think it has a lot of character. If you will be keeping the white couch, I suggest upholstery fabric for the other two chairs in a lighter colour or pattern. The colour shouldn't be the same as the couch - but I feel that the light/dark combination right now is too contrasty. Are you planning on painting the walls? If so, I'd suggest painting the wall first then assessing the fireplace. I could see a beach inspired colour scheme in you space. An area rug would help the space come together. Hang your drapes using a rod, above your patio doors. Yes, to the new light fixture and glass coffee table!
January 18, 2013 at 11:22AM     
onthefence
I like AggieDesigns suggestions for everything. Personally though, I'd stick with an ottoman with tray for a coffee table. That area looks a little tight to me and I could imagine whacking my shins on a glass or wood table if I was passing thru to the fireplace end of the room.
January 18, 2013 at 11:22AM     
DeHaven
Oh Dear, those chairs, covered as they are... terrible. But they could be AMAZING if covered in an outstanding, wayout, quirky fabric. It would have to be something really unexpected and fun to have them work. But whatever you would save on the chairs you will spend on having them redone.

You are not obsessing. And there is nothing wrong with waanting to get it as right as you can. Patricia Hall is right, keep shopping, you having things to sit on now so you don't have to have it all done in a day. This process should FUN!!! Hit all the junk stores and check out the auction houses.
January 18, 2013 at 11:26AM     
decoenthusiaste
I think hubby may be reminiscing about his Grammy's house with those chairs! Do you want to go back to that era with your decor? They will really limit you! You could upholster them with something really funky for a kick in the pants look, but it is pricey to do that style of back as it takes more fabric.
January 18, 2013 at 11:29AM     
DeHaven
I just had another idea. How about another love seat instead of two chairs? You could place them face to face, and push them down closer to the fireplace, which would give you a cozy little conversation area. Then find another low chair similar to the dark blue one for this end of the room facing the fireplace at slight angles. The grey wingback could go to your husbands office. Then with of course a couple of side tables you would be very comfy & cozy.
January 18, 2013 at 11:35AM     
reneejunette
Like of fussy but what seems more problematic is the placement of furniture around the room. The fussiness would go away if all the furniture were reupholstered and the coffee table was replaced.
January 18, 2013 at 11:51AM   
amateur7
I would change out the paint color to something that compliments the brick. Try Benjamin Moore Guest House or Boardwalk.
January 18, 2013 at 12:25PM   
hmschoolmom
I actually liked the creamy barrel chairs from yesterday and thought they would work with the right accents like the orange Ikat pillow. I agree that these chairs are a little too formal. Excited for you as you paint the brick. Lovely!! I painted the gray stones on my fireplace a Swiss coffee color and it was the best decision ever!
January 18, 2013 at 12:33PM     
Janelle H
What about these chairs?
January 18, 2013 at 8:15PM     
patriciarhall
janelle, the new blue chairs are much better and will give you so many more decor options now and in the future! I would paint the feet dark like the ones on your sofa. Good job.
January 20, 2013 at 6:23AM     
patriciarhall
or, are you going with the advice on your other post to slipcover or reupholster what you have?
January 20, 2013 at 6:39AM   
Judit
whatever you decide please avoid the light coming from ABOVE!
January 20, 2013 at 10:57AM     
kwistina
I like the barral back blue chair that is closer to us in the picture, but the color of the walls and the color of the chairs seems to clash. I would either paint the walls or re-upholster/cover the chairs. Unless you are going for a more eclectic look, in which case pillows with white and turquoise would help to tie the colors together, as well as decor in mixed metals.
January 20, 2013 at 11:38AM   
jansgirl
Ahh. A first home. Isn't it exciting??

I'm confused about what your style is. The sofa, with it's Queen Ann legs is quite traditional. The blue chairs (which I like and could work w/ the sofa) suggest a more contemporary slant. Your previous choice of the cream colored chairs, too, were more traditional. Find the chairs you both agree on before changing anything else.

I like your current furniture arrangement. As suggested, end tables next to the couch and one between the chairs you choose. Lamps on those tables.

I'm intrigued by the art on the mantle--is it special to you and do you have a close up of it??
January 20, 2013 at 12:10PM     
jansgirl
I took a peek at your ideabooks and there seems to be a common thread of mixing old/traditional with brighter, fun, contemporary. I l love it!!

To keep the peace, I think your husband's chairs could work. Then bring in your fun side with that ikat pillow from yesterday's post or simple geometric patterns in the orange and turquoise for pillows/curtain panels. A LARGE unframed, bright contemporary piece of art over the sofa. Lucite or mirrored (?) table between the two chairs w/ a lamp.

Husbands, unless they have successful decorating experience, have the garage as their domain. These creatures must be taught this early on. Mine can't visualize anything and would be happy w/ herculon and a large television...............

I'm going to be watching to see what you decide!
January 20, 2013 at 12:48PM     
judianna20
You have several styles of furniture here. Of all of them, which piece to you like best?
January 20, 2013 at 12:54PM   
saraj11357
I like the 2 white colored chairs in your original picture! Just me!
January 20, 2013 at 12:59PM   
uhoh_busted
And maybe more important, which are the most comfortable for YOU and your husband to sit in! Many a time I have loved something to look at, then found it to be too deep or too hard or too soft....yeah, the old Goldilocks issue! I like the blue pair you've pictured last, but that's more my taste.
January 20, 2013 at 1:01PM   
cjktsd
I would move the couch to face the fireplace and the chairs on either side of the fireplace.
January 20, 2013 at 1:04PM     
houssaon
You had an idea about putting the sofa with its back in front of the fireplace - since it is now non-functioning and until you have the resources to fix it. Go ahead and do that.

Then paint the fireplace and the walls the same color to make the fireplace less noticeable. Have you decided on a color?

Most of the posters like the barrel chair and the love seat, what I am suggesting is to take a picture of your space with the fireplace and walls painted, the sofa in front of the fireplace and the barrel chair to one side of the sofa.

Then the question is would these two chairs, that you like and your husband likes, work facing toward the sofa? What coffee table - or no coffee table be best?

Personally, I like the chairs your husband and you like. Even in this fabric, if you go for a mostly monchomatic look. White sofa, off-white walls, off-white on the chairs and a pop of blue from the chair.
January 20, 2013 at 1:14PM     
abbshel
Can you face the sofa towards the fireplace and put a sofa table behind it? Don't know how much room you have.
Rather than painting the fireplace white - what about changing the color of the fireplace wall? Maybe to a tan or brown shade and do a brown, cream, and blue color scheme.
Also, I really think you need an iron and glass or wood and glass coffee table. I think the current one is too bulky for your space.
If you and hub like the blue chairs - great. Just tie them in with sofa pillows, etc.
January 20, 2013 at 1:30PM   
eliztichy
If you need to make the chairs work, place one at each corner of the fireplace (back to fireplace), move the couch until it is facing the fireplace. Upholstered bench with trays in front of couch. Put very narrow table/bench behind couch with some darker blue accent pieces of art or sculpture or even books to tie in the chairs color. If you already own the chairs, live with it for awhile. Use your money on a light fixture for the room. Good luck!!
January 20, 2013 at 1:44PM     
missangel99
Makes your room looks very dated. I would get rid of them.
January 20, 2013 at 2:27PM   
Janelle H
OK. We opened the fireplace! It was a dramatic test of our homeowner's skill and kind of risky since we didn't know what we'd fine, but there was an intact old fireplace thing in there. Also, whitewashed the fireplace, might keep going and paint it all the way...And moved the blue chairs to other rooms in the house (there will probably be posts on that soon). And put the couch in front of the fireplace and moved our glass table from our other room into here. Also, the blue chairs are the current winner, assuming that the woman who promised to sell them to me doesn't bail. I will post pictures shortly of the current situation...
January 20, 2013 at 3:47PM     
houssaon
Yea!
January 20, 2013 at 3:50PM   
PRO
Signature Decor
When you place the sofa facing the fireplace, you should put some type of sofa table behind it.. Under the sofa table, place two inexpensive square ottomans covered in a colorful pattern to coordinate with your color scheme. Accessorize that tabletop with A FEW well chosen, interesting pieces. Many discount stores have the ottomans at great prices.When someone enters the room the view will be this pretty arrangement rather than the back of a sofa.

If you keep the blue chairs, I would paint the walls a neutral shade (taupe, light gray, sand, etc.).

I agree with using the cocktail table with a glass top or glass inset.

I think you need to hang draperies as close to the ceiling as possible. The room has a very low ceiling and hanging the drapes at that height will draw the eye up.

Please consider painting the fireplace rather than leaving it whitewashed. It will give you a much cleaner, finished look.
If you find you do not like the fireplace painted "white", change that to a creamier or light sand shade.

I agree, the white chairs should only be used if you can afford to have them reupholstered. They would look great if the exposed wood was painted a glossy white, black or turquoise, and mix with a bold fabric (solid or print). Just a word of advise, striped fabric does not work with that channel tufted back style. Use the blue chairs for now, and keep this in mind.

If budget allows, after placing the furniture where you like, consider putting floor plugs under end tables at each end of the sofa for lamps.
Matching floor lamps next to the chairs on each side of the fireplace will give you additional lighting needed. Instead of end tables next to the chairs you could use ceramic garden benches in a pretty color. (or small thrift store end tables painted a very glossy color of your choice)
If you add lighting around the room, you do not need the light fixture on a ceiling fan. Those do not give the best lighting anyway. Plus, your ceiling height does not accomodate that look.
If you need the fan, just use a simple all white unit that will blend in with the ceiling Purchase one that is flushmount & close to the ceiling. These are very inexpensive at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
Add some candlelight & you will have a very beautiful room.
January 20, 2013 at 4:39PM     
DeHaven
Congratulations on moving forward so quickly. You must be feeling pretty good. You didn't say if you are happy with the white fireplace. Does it seem that the FP is usable? It might be worth the cost to have a professional chimney sweep come and check it out. That sweet little room would really feel special with a warm fire in the winter.
You know that we are all waiting to see each step of the process.
January 20, 2013 at 5:42PM   
sandraharper1111
place the chairs flanking the fireplace and the sofa facing the fireplace...
January 20, 2013 at 5:45PM     
carbary
It's not about the chairs. The white ones or blue ones are fine. The room is lacking small accent furniture. Library table, cocktail tables, lamps accessories. You are worrying the chairs when the accessories... Pillows, lamps, lighting etc are really what is going to tie the room together. Since you are on a budget hit some after Christmas sales for your accent pieces.
January 20, 2013 at 5:57PM   
ivanaknow
The fireplace is too casual for any of that furniture ... also, the aqua blue might not be the best choice to go with the fireplace, unless you consider painting the fireplace white.... its a small room, less is best
January 20, 2013 at 5:58PM   
Janelle H
Ok here's the amazing whitewashed fireplace ( that i love- but could keep going to full white. Here's the room, waiting on chairs til the blue ones can be dropped off or I find others. To the woman who asked, the "art" is a paper mâché and sharpie creation I made just to have something. It was free to make so it can go. I also included pics of the other half of the long room so you know what we're working with. Ignore the kitten and the dishes and the victory pizza. The other furniture is happy in other rooms, I'll post those tomorrow for help probably too...thank you to everyone this help is AMAZING.
January 20, 2013 at 9:20PM     
Janelle H
Close up of of the newly unearthed black metal fireplace- that stuff is glue. No idea if it works, we will have to have someone check it out, but since it's already 75 in Phoenix I think we are ok waiting til later.
January 20, 2013 at 9:25PM   
Janelle H
More photos of the room. Still planning to put the curtains on a rod and hang higher, and get a white fan, and uh, find a new way to light that corner I guess?
January 20, 2013 at 9:30PM   
Crystal
I would try putting 4 matching stream-lined chairs in this room. Have a square area rug with a round coffee table.
January 20, 2013 at 11:03PM     
kathy
I like the new look colours! However I still prefer to see the fireplace. So either as originally posted today, with sofa facing chairs in front of window OR chairs flanking fireplace and sofa at entrance to room facing fireplace. As several people have mentioned, ideally you would then have a console table behind sofa to pretty up the back, have place for lamps, perhaps storage cubes under or other storage.
Either way, your palms are a great start to the accessories you need to dress the room!
January 20, 2013 at 11:28PM   
houssaon
I agree, now that you opened up the fireplace, face the sofa toward it. With the new chairs flanking the fireplace.

Just to be clear, Is this space an extention of your kitchen? Is it open to the kitchen?
January 20, 2013 at 11:39PM     
Janelle H
Yes it's open to the kitchen and dining area/ bay window. See the pic.
January 21, 2013 at 1:39AM   
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Now your room looks better , since the fireplace has been painted , since I feel the width is Quite less , how about adding a rug in stripes to make it look wider as well , I liked the Chairs , but suggest ,better reupholster them .
January 21, 2013 at 1:48AM     
familyfoursome
Janelle, bringing in the glass table and white washing the fireplace are a nice improvement. Take it a step further and paint the mantel white. I agree with others about turning the sofa to face the fireplace and positioning the chairs somewhat in front of it. I hope the blue chairs work out for you (give the legs a dark stain = more updated). If you're drawn to the ikat pillow from one of your other posts, imagine throwing a big 22-24 inch pillow like that on the back of each of the chairs (try etsy for pillows). As tempting as it may be to reupholster stuff, or unless you've got a great discount fabric source, try to save your budget for other rooms/things.

For your sofa, I'm not a fan of queen anne style legs, but appreciate working with what you've got. I would paint the sofa's legs a bold bright color - think orange, citron, acid yellow, or bright teal - or even a glossy blue. Use accessories to bring other color and texture to the room. You'll spend less over all and still pull together a fun look that will personalize things that are generally hand-me-downs. If you can't bear to paint the couch legs, consider painting the ironwork on the coffee table instead.

I think I've got the same ceiling fixture in my family room and hate, hate, hate the overhead light. The fan is understandably practical though. I'd swap out the fixture for a plain white one with no light kit. The lower profile will help your ceiling seem a bit taller, and the white will fade back and allow your eye not to be drawn immediately upward. Add table lamps for lighting - even a floor lamp. But even if they're free, don't accept any halogen torchieres from anyone. :-P
January 21, 2013 at 5:05AM     
michigammemom
Janelle, nice job on the fireplace whitewash! It brightens the room and goes well with your aqua wall color. However, your new and improved fireplace is the focal point of the room and should not be obscured by the sofa. I much prefer the original floorplan.
January 21, 2013 at 5:05AM     
abbshel
Is that a temporary furnituren arrangement? Are you going to have the sofa face the fireplace?
January 21, 2013 at 5:35AM   
Janelle H
Um it sounds like the consensus is to turn the couch to face the fireplace and put a sofa table behind it, so I will probably do that when I get the chairs. I'm hoping to fit 4 chairs since extra seating would be nice. Also, a rug is a good idea ( can you put one on carpet or is that weird?). I love the black/ white stripe someone posted. We do plan to eventually replace the carpet with wood laminate or tile ( obv. Would prefer hardwood but it's a "starter home" and wood is more fancy than the neighborhood.)
January 21, 2013 at 6:27AM     
Janelle H
Also, Do I even need curtains? The door leads to a pretty private backyard, so they aren't really for privacy. Should I just take them off and leave the sliding door "naked?"
January 21, 2013 at 8:17AM     
DeHaven
Nothing wrong with rugs on carpet, they have been doing around the world for ever. I like that b & w one too. It could look really fun in that room and has a young vibe. Your iron table would look good on it too. Have you looked under that carpet? Are you sure there is no wood?

Congrats on the Fireplace. Sounds like you live in an area that has lots of fantastic tiles!!!! Wouldn't take many to surround the FP with them using all the colours you like most. that way you don't have to remove so much of that old glue.

Of coure if you aren't worried about privacy you don't have to have windows covered, but at night it will just look like a black hole. Even though I am not the least bit paranoid, I always feel a bit vulnerable at night with open windows to the dark, I prefer pulling the drapes and getting cozy. Curtains also help to insulate the house from outside temps... both hot & cold. They can make a huge difference. I think you should get some nice heavier ones... and as others have suggested, hang 'um high. Either way, do you have lights in your garden landscape? You can make the room look larger by having the garden feel like part of your living room both day and night. If you haven't gotten to the yard yet, it would be cheaper to get a variety of potted plants than to recover the chairs and you could enlarge the room in the process. Keep the photos coming. By the way, I still love your colour choice in the turquoise and think it looks pretty in your kitchen.
January 21, 2013 at 1:53PM     
DeHaven
Loooove your kitty!!!!!!!!!!!
January 21, 2013 at 1:54PM     
Janelle H
Thank you DeHaven! I love my kitty too! That's Jane, we also have a black one, Tarzan, but she's camera shy... LOL on calling our yard a garden landscape. Its GINORMOUS but currently a wasteland. So a work in progress, like everything. The door technically leads to a covered patio...What kind of drapes are we talking? White linen or ??? Finally, although I was hoping for an old hardwood floor under the carpet just like I was hopinng for a beautiful fireplace behind the plywood, we have only ugly ugly cement.

And yes, I love the aqua too, especially with the white fireplace!
January 21, 2013 at 2:21PM   
DeHaven
Jane & Tarzan, how cute... 2 dogs 2 cats here and love um to death!
I picture an ikat print like the print pillow someone posted back when this all started. It would not only add colour and fibrancy, being lined, they would add just the right amount of weight to the room. You could keep your cotton sheers to use behind if you wanted. Or you could go with a bunch of light filmy "blow in the breeze" sheers in an orange and white. Someone posted some beauties on another discussion. If I can find them and figure out how to repost, I will show you.

I did want to say that I think you should keep orange in the picture. It is the natural compliment to the turquoise and would be so pretty in your house.
January 21, 2013 at 4:35PM   
DeHaven
Found the pics, now let me see if I can get them here. I love this bedroom. and it is in your colours. Some of my colours too by the way, but my designs are Moroccan and sort of eclectic Middle Eastern with some asian thrown in. I will hit Submit and see if the pictures come up. I saw them first when they were posted by Jacquline Positano (I think). If they don't come I will find her and send you there. I think these photos are worth an effort, they are so pretty
January 21, 2013 at 5:07PM     
Lilly nunes
I have to say my marriage may end. if my hubby bring something like that home" sorry " I have to say I like 100% Angie s idea.
January 21, 2013 at 7:30PM   
Lilly nunes
*i mean aggie's idea.
January 21, 2013 at 7:32PM   
Patsy Castillo
The chairs would look better if you put them on each side of the fireplace with pillows that would capture and compliment some of the colors in the room. The white sofa I would put it facing the fireplace as well as the table.
January 21, 2013 at 10:10PM     
Janelle H
Blue chair lady bailed on me. I about cried...So again the search begins. I wish I knew exactly what kind of chair I should be looking for. I want comfortable, not stuffy, and small enough to fit in my room. Color doesn't matter because I can re-cover them myself (it's kind of a hobby). I found these two options, any thoughts on either? The red one I think I would add a tuft/ button on the back cushion to make them more streamlined looking/ more like the blue chairs I liked...Or I keep looking. Just getting antsy to finish that room so I can move on!
January 22, 2013 at 8:36AM   
DeHaven
I love slipper style chairs and it wouldn't take up as much room and would be easy to recover. But of course it isn't the type of chair you curl up in to read a book. If you get both of these and cover them in the same fabric, AND tuft the red, they may relate enough to look like family. Did you see my earlier suggestion about a second love seat instead of two chairs? Maybe the idea didn't appeal to you.

I am so sorry you lost the blue ones, not because they were the only ones for you, but I know you put a lot of thought into them. Don't worry too much. The right ones will be there... and so will we.
January 22, 2013 at 8:56AM     
Janelle H
My husband thinks I am obsessed with chairs...
January 22, 2013 at 9:00AM     
Janelle H
If I got another love seat, how would it work with the other one? I think it will be hard to match it...
January 22, 2013 at 9:01AM   
DeHaven
They could work as well as differnt style chairs. Of course you could recover them to match, or just tack fabric down over the back and onto the seat. I don't want to confuse you, I just thought since you are out there looking anyway, keep your eye out for that option. Two love seats look great together, facing eachother. Then you could put in that pretty dark blue chair you have and put an old or rustic looking wooden bench on the open end of the room. The wood would be a break from all the fabric pieces and being a bench people could sit facing the kitchen if they wanted. Benches are very versitile and easy to move. It would look pretty in front of your fireplace too and could replace a coffee table.

Hope your husband thinks it's cute. I'm sure he will be proud once you have pulled it all together and your company is comfortably at home in your choices.
January 22, 2013 at 9:28AM   
Janelle H
Yes I think he will be happy. It's funny he almost never cares about this stuff, usually lets me go nuts and paint and move things and choose everything etc, but I guess he really hated those orange chairs...
January 22, 2013 at 9:45AM   
DeHaven
He's intitled. Not everyone here liked them either. My husband never had too much to say about design either, so when he did I would think... "What??? Where did that come from?" He wasn't always crazy about my ideas until they were done and he could see them in context.
January 22, 2013 at 9:59AM     
jansgirl
Oyour ideabooks you have a room by Judith Bails and commented that you love everything. You aren't that far off in this room to get that look. You already have the turquoise walls, white fireplace and similarly shaped sofa. As suggested above, use a good size black and white stripe rug and cover what ever chairs you get w/ a FUN color.

You're almost there.
January 22, 2013 at 10:37PM     
areeperlman12
I think the bigger issue is the furniture arrangement. I would move the couch to face the fireplace, with two chairs facing each other at either end of the couch. A classic u-shape conversation area! Your chairs would look better in this arrangement, but of course getting chairs you'd love would be even better...
January 22, 2013 at 10:55PM   
Jeza
Regarding the fireplace, I had one that I planned on painting white (that would have been an huge improvement alone), but looked at brick colors I liked and duplicated it. There are 3 photos with notes on HGTV's Rate My Space under Jeza, I attached a before and after pic here, enjoy your project!
January 23, 2013 at 2:00AM     
PRO
THE INTERIOR CO
Yes painting the fireplace in a white wash will disappear the fireplace being overpowering the chairs and the ottoman dont work there are too many different styles think of a room as a circle if one thing in particular sticks out your not going to relax there. the sofa is a good start to base the rest of the style for the room on,loose the chairs and ottoman and get neutral coloured chairs and a wooden coffee table see my site or face book page for more ideas. www.theinteriorco.co.uk facebook the interior co
January 23, 2013 at 3:01AM   
Janelle H
Justjeza, yes whitewashed the fireplace last weekend. It looks awesome- a lot like that one you posted actually. I think I posted pics above but Im so proud so here's another- still need to get better chairs and rearrange furniture again..
January 23, 2013 at 5:39AM     
nononanna
If you keep the aqua walls, you've got to go more funky and bright. Don't try to mix serious traditional furniture and colors with it. Try orange and yellow and even emerald green and pink somewhere. You can keep the traditional lines if you mix it up with color. Or paint the walls and go with the Queen Anne lines of the sofa.
January 23, 2013 at 5:51AM     
nononanna
Sorry, didn't read that it's an extension of the kitchen. In that case you should definitely make it less formal, more colorful like DeHaven's pictures. AsloLOVE the striped rug.
January 23, 2013 at 5:56AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put a silhouette blind mounted inside the window. A decorative rod mounted 6'' above the window frame and put 2 decorative 24'' panels to frame the window.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
January 23, 2013 at 10:51AM   
PRO
GMR Inside and out
Two small cushions in material same as settee.
Gordon GMRInside and out.
Ps. Don't sweat it.
January 23, 2013 at 10:58AM   
Janelle H
I found chairs! So here's the new room layout....Thoughts? Im thinking needs new/painted side tables. Thank you for all the help!
January 25, 2013 at 8:48PM     
abbshel
Great improvement from where you started! The glass coffee table suits the room much better than the previous white one. Maybe stack a few books on one end of the red bench and put a larger table with a larger, taller lamp on it by the love seat.
January 25, 2013 at 8:58PM   
nononanna
Now you need to pull in some color, and of course get bigger side tables and bigger lamps.
January 26, 2013 at 5:11AM     
apennameandthata
If you ask, they ain't but you probs know that after 1000 posts.
January 26, 2013 at 5:26AM   
bonnielynn75
Paint the wooden part of the bench black & move the plant on the right of the fireplace elsewhere. (they are too symetrical! ) Hang a long mirror/ print in that place. Add a red throw to the couch and as a previous poster said some books to the bench.
January 26, 2013 at 5:46AM   
Janelle H
LOL yes from the many posts I have determined that those other chairs were not good...I like the ones I ended up with- not very brightly colored but I like them. As for the bench, actually I need to redo the whole thing. Paint is chipping and fabric is this weird fake snakeskin that is flaking...So black legs? What kind of fabric? Still red? Hot pink?

Is this layout ok? I might try out some others and post pics...
January 26, 2013 at 7:52AM   
Janelle H
Oh and I am gonna get/ a rug (probably like the black/white striped). And raise the curtains. And get bigger side tables and lamps. I think I'm getting closer to what I want...

And someday in the future, replace the fan light, get french doors, and wood/wood laminate/tile floors.
January 26, 2013 at 7:57AM   
DeHaven
Oh Janelle... you did great!!!! Look how warm and inviting! Sure, there is more to do, there always is, but you have come such a long way. And in such a short time. Those chairs you chose are perfect. I am amazed at how well they fit and make the room look bigger. Doesn't look crowded at all.

Without listing all options, I think the next thing to do that would create the greatest mood change would be to address the lighting issues. How you light a space is everything. Add a decent size lamp in the back of the room in front of the palm (maybe both sides). Light there is even more important than the one little one you have at this end of the room. If you don't currently have another lamp, try moving that little table and lamp to the other side of the sofa. When you light up the corners you have a full room and it draws you into the space. I see light reflecting off the back wall, is that from the camera or some other source? If you are tempted to use the ceiling light, I suggest you remove the bulb. That source will not enhance the room or the people sitting in it.

That bench looks just like what I had suggested at one point. It is a handy place for it but can easily be moved to in front of the FP or used as a table in the middle of the room. You could even set it outside your sliding doors and put plants on it. Such a great piece to own. It looks all wood, am I wrong? If you are going to fiddle with it, I think it would look wonderful stripped and in a rustic natural stain or just sanded down so some of the colour stays on in places and it looks old and naturally worn.

Please continue to update us on your ideas or purchases, it is so much fun to watch your progress. How does your husband feel about the space?
January 26, 2013 at 10:23AM   
michigammemom
Janelle, the barrel chairs are a win...perfect scale with your sofa! I am not a fan of the red bench and it's placement in the room. It looks like you are barricading your conversation area. Perhaps you could use it at the foot of a bed or in a foyer. I agree that some vibrant throw pillows that contain your turquoise wall color would tie the room together.
January 26, 2013 at 11:05AM     
marewalker7
The chairs look fine with the sofa. The large amount of empty space above furniture makes it appear out of scale.
January 26, 2013 at 2:15PM   
Janelle H
DeHaven, the light on the back wall is from track lighting on the ceiling above the fireplace. I think you can see it in the first picture, but it's pretty small. And we just got two larger lamps (for either side of the sofa, pics to follow when I get bulbs for them. And yes, the bench is great, we just got that off craigslist (actually we have 2- one is now in our entryway) and while it needs some updating, I really like it. And the hubby is happy with the changes, he's easy... As to lighting.... We have decided that you guys are right, it is ugly, and since its such a big room the fan really isn't necessary. So the fan light needs to go, but what to replace it with? Is ALL ceiling light off limits? There is a chandelier above the dining area in the same room (just above my head when I took the picture). So what would be good for such a room?
January 26, 2013 at 2:26PM   
Molly
Bam! awesome gallery wall and this blog is dedicated to all things turquoise (hence the blog name) http://www.houseofturquoise.com/
January 26, 2013 at 2:45PM     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Hello Janelle, Your room is coming along!! A few suggestions: try an oval coffee table with "simple lines", to many scrolls on the wrought iron coffee table. Also, consider re-hanging your curtains outside and above the wood trim and not within the frame. it will change the entire look of your space.
January 26, 2013 at 3:20PM     
PRO
studio | FORMA
January 26, 2013 at 3:21PM     
PRO
studio | FORMA
more:
January 26, 2013 at 3:22PM     
DeHaven
Oh Molly! How perfect for Janelle... great suggestion. And that wall is fun.
As to the ceiling lights I have three thoughts: 1. Nothing, just cover the spot with a plate and paint it white; 2. A flat ceiling light that would feel almost invisible that you would use only while doing house work (never with company); 3. And this is my personal favorite, an interesting hanging fixture that you could swag over to the far corner of the room on the right and let it hang low... maybe a little higher than any lamp that you would have on the left side. What is the style of the chandalier you currently have? Let me see if I can find some photo of what I mean.

Glad hubby is happy. Did I misunderstand that there was something wrong with that bench. I thought I read something about peeling snake skin. Or did I dream that?
January 26, 2013 at 4:05PM     
aebj
Janelle, I love the blue walls. Do you know the color ?
January 26, 2013 at 4:24PM   
Janelle H
Yes the fabric is peeling fake snakeskin lol. It will be replaced once I decide how to recover it...the wall colo is actually a mix of two cans of clearance paint, so unfortunately I don't know the color name...
January 26, 2013 at 4:31PM   
gharris8
Janelle, I would move the bench. It is blocking the flow of the room. I agree with others to move it somewhere else. Studio Forma posted a beautiful blue chair that would great in your space. It would give a high end look to the room.
January 26, 2013 at 4:40PM   
PRO
studio | FORMA
AEBJ: If you like Janelle's wall color try Farrow and Ball, Blue Ground. It looks beautiful on the wall and has a lot of play with daylight changes.
January 26, 2013 at 5:50PM     
marewalker7
your room is really shaping up to look nice. Glad your showing the fireplace. Even if it doesn't work, it's nice to have a black candelabra with vanilla candles for the holidays. Makes the room smell wonderful and there is a place to hang stockings and decorate the mantel. Not sure about the bench. I agree if keeping the ceiling fan maybe a lower profiled one and more updated. The others are right watch the sales at Home Depot or Lowe's. Sometimes just living in a place you can get a feel for what works. No hurry. As all homeowners know, the home is constantly evolving. That's the fun of it. If it doesn't work, change it. The blue wall paint (I think) looks nice with the furniture.
January 26, 2013 at 6:11PM   
DeHaven
Is the bench wood???? You could drape it with an indian blanket or old prayer rug while waiting to get rid of the old snake. I don't think I have ever seen a bench covered in snake skin.
January 26, 2013 at 6:19PM   
maggiemae0552
i painted my fireplace SW navajo white with a light taupe mantle and it turned out great. keep mantle simple and use a bold print over the fireplace w/pinks and orange colors world market had some cool pictures. I think a mirror over the fireplace would just reflect the kitchen. when u replace the ceiling fan get a smaller one it will still put out plenty of breeze. i saw a nice one on sale at Lowes for $46! Cant beat that!
January 26, 2013 at 6:36PM   
aebj
FORMA: Thanks! I was looking for a blue for my bedroom and liked the way the light changed the walls as the different pictures were posted by Janelle.
January 26, 2013 at 6:46PM   
aebj
Janelle: Your journey with this room is inspiring to watch! We just bought a 1972 ranch that has to be drug into this century. You give me hope that it can be done!

About the drapes, how about vertical blinds if this is a glass door? I like the suggestion of hanging the drapes high as well.
January 26, 2013 at 6:46PM   
Janelle H
New pictures! Successful day of yard sales! We found a $2 painting for over the fireplace with a bit more color, fun octagon side tables ( soon to be painted black), and the most beautiful vintage lamps. Plus a trip to ikea for lamp shades, another lamp for the other side of the room, and the perfect ceiling fixture. Tomorrow I'm gonna make hubby install it so we can lose the fan ( notice how it's off). And I got these cheap stools to add some height to the palm trees. Oh and maybe stencil/ paint the cheap white curtains I got at ikea. So I'm posting photos with the easiest updates, but more should follow. Also took one with and one without the bench to compare. Kind of a big open space there without it, but it does cut the room in half. Maybe we will just use it when we need extra seating. ( Oh and DeHaven, the legs are wood the top is that crazy snakeskin. We bought it from a local bar.) And working on my DIY rug situation. So if I am feeling productive tomorrow, should be more pics then!

Also a pic of the dining area of the room, with the chandelier.
January 26, 2013 at 9:20PM   
aebj
You mean Tarzan and Jane aren't trying to climb the palms and run across the mantle? :-)
January 26, 2013 at 9:42PM   
Janelle H
LOL. Not yet. Currently they spend a lot of time batting at the trees and trying to eat the leaves...But it's probably a good thing I don;t really have anything irreplaceable or breakable up there...
January 26, 2013 at 9:46PM     
marewalker7
Looking good. Kind of fun isn't it.
January 26, 2013 at 10:00PM   
aebj
Well you can't really blame them if they do. Tarzan and Jane were meant to be swinging cats in the jungle.

=^..^= =^..^=
January 26, 2013 at 10:21PM   
PRO
studio | FORMA
Hello Janelle, I love to see the changes and that you are enjoying yourself with them. Its your home after all!!! I would suggest NOT to paint the side table you found in Black. I believe once said and done they will look much to heavy for the room. Remember the blue chairs every one liked at the begining?? You could still play with that.

You may want to consider painting them a nice jewel color such as a darker blue, an olive green or a cranberry color. Perhaps adding a wash on them for patina if you don't care for one solid color

Here are some pictures for inspiration:
January 27, 2013 at 12:13AM     
PRO
studio | FORMA
some more:
January 27, 2013 at 12:15AM     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Forgot to mention: Great find on the lamps!!
January 27, 2013 at 12:15AM   
seroujbo
The brick-ed wall is annoying
January 27, 2013 at 1:45AM   
Janelle H
studio FORMA, what if I painted them a pale yellow? Or red? Do you think that would look weird?
January 27, 2013 at 11:19AM   
DeHaven
What a difference the lamps make. And they look fun. Like the standing lamp too. Now for some fine tuning. What bothers me most is that the focus is still too high in the room... ceiling lights, plants and your art. Everything needs to come down.

I like the plant stands but those palms are too high. Are they real? I would suggest adding a couple more (real of course) and making a cluster, maybe on the left side with varying heights, using one of your stands but putting something not so high on it. Then move your standing lamp to the other side of that chair almost into the nook. Maybe the plants would look nice gathered around the base of that lamp.

Your wall art really needs to be lowered. When you are sitting your eye should be able to look at it comfortably without straining your neck and it should feel like a part of the scene. Drop it down a lot closer to the sofa. Hard to tell from here but I would say at least a foot. Your new painting brings some nice colour into the room ... but again, it feels high, although I like the grouping with the candles. Why not try using it in a wall vignette behind the chair once the lamp is moved back?

I'm glad the fan is coming down, but I think the spotlights should probably come down too, sorry. The new lamps give plenty of light and at a level appropriate to the room. With a clean ceiling the room will be more open feeling. And one last lighting issue. I think your chandlier over the dining table should also be lower... too close to the ceiling.

Once the focus is lowered, your home will feel so much warmer and cozier and all of your new purchases will feel more related to eachother. If you find yourself collecting art, you can add to your wall going up and out, but you need to start with it closer to the furniture.

I see that Tarzan has agreed to show himself to us at last. How handsome.
January 27, 2013 at 12:05PM   
PRO
studio | FORMA
If you prefer red, I would go with more of a ruby or cranberry tone instead of a true primary red. If you still like the crispness of the pure red I would tone it down a bit with a black wash like the photo below.

Yellow could work too.
January 27, 2013 at 12:13PM     
suzineberz
I agree,mnew ceiling fixture (lose the fan) draperies not sheers and fun colored patterned pillows on sofa Lose the bench too muh upholstery.
January 27, 2013 at 12:19PM   
aebj
RED! that would really give you some pop! Did I read you are in AZ? If so, you might need that fan. I don't like them either, but they are a necessity in some areas. How about a white fan, flush mounted? That would make it disappear some into the ceiling.
January 27, 2013 at 12:31PM   
mamachers
You did a great job on your room. I have ceiling fans because of the heat here in NC.
January 27, 2013 at 12:35PM   
michigammemom
Janelle, I definitely prefer the room without the red bench. I'm impressed with your yard sale finds but would suggest lowering the art above the sofa to eye level. Here's a cool DIY project for a rug. Good luck.
January 27, 2013 at 12:37PM     
marewalker7
I agree cranberry color sounds like it would work much better than primary red.
January 27, 2013 at 2:32PM   
nikitasmom
Wow, what a lovely difference you have made in such a short time. I like the red bench but it seems too long. I wonder if covering the top of your ottoman with another color would work instead. Maybe even new feet to raise it a bit higher from the floor.
January 27, 2013 at 2:52PM   
mdacmac
I like the white club chairs better. I would consider rearranging the room: anchor the fireplace with the 2 chairs and place the sofa directly opposite the fireplace (is the red piece a sofa table -- if so that would be perfect and would further divide the rooms).
January 27, 2013 at 4:33PM   
gharris8
I like mdacmacs idea. That arrangement would look nice. My living room is set up the same way. See attached photo.
January 27, 2013 at 5:11PM     
jansgirl
Great transformation!! You MUST lower your art. (No more than 9" above back of sofa) One thing about painting your new tables--if the color isn't right, you can always re-paint. (start w/ the smaller one!)

I'd like to see you pull in the orange of the chairs you missed out on...
January 27, 2013 at 7:52PM     
Janelle H
Ok more photos (one with light on, one off) with the new light fixture (!) and higher hung curtains. It absolutely makes the room feel "huge". I am thinking about stamping/ stenciling the curtains with a colored pattern of some kind. Rug is painted but not dry yet so that will be posted later, assuming its dry when I get off work. Furniture will have to wait to be painted til it's dry outside.

Also, jansgirl, I will lower the art tonight. As to the orange, I'm nervous about it because I have to keep the red since the room is continuous with the kitchen. Also I have a lot of yellows, and I'm not sure how to get orange in without making it all too bright...maybe I will start small with a pillow or something.
January 28, 2013 at 7:10AM     
Janelle H
Actually, Ive been looking at my ideabook, and it's pretty obvious that I am attracted to orange and aqua. So I tentatively think I might paint the side tables a tangerine color.There IS a lot of white in the room... And if I hate it, I can always re-do them...Just might wait til the hubby is out.
January 28, 2013 at 7:37AM     
nononanna
The lighting is fabulous, and it looks really great. The idea of tangerine is right up my alley, too - once it's done he'll love it.Maybe something tangerine on the mantle, too? In any case, you are really on your way - brava!
January 28, 2013 at 2:09PM     
abbshel
Ok, lamps are great...but... Curtains are now hung *too* high. They look like they are flush with the ceiling. If so, bring them down about 4".
January 28, 2013 at 2:54PM     
DeHaven
Your follow thru is really something. What a girl. Bravo to the the ceiling and curtains. The new ceiling light is perfect, will be there when you need it and almost invisible when you don't. Was my last posting wayyyyyyyyyy to long? If you keep the spotlights but move the art then you could focus the lights down to those pieces
January 28, 2013 at 4:27PM   
DeHaven
How are you feeling about the changes? Oh, I love the stencil idea for your curtains.
January 28, 2013 at 4:28PM     
jansgirl
Janelle--you are smart. Never ask your husband first if he thinks it would be a good idea to paint wood furniture the color of fruit.
January 28, 2013 at 7:17PM     
Janelle H
I love the changes! (also yes the palms are real.) Will move the art down/ maybe try some other pieces, and re-direct the track light, and hopefully move the curtains down too- they were a pain to get up though. Here's a pic with the rug- I love it! Sorry it's not the best pic I was in a hurry. You will notice red bech is back, it looks better with the rug, might still take it out. Still haven't painted the curtains- trying to find a pattern I like enough to emulate. And furniture has to wait to be painted til the weekend, thinking tangerine or maybe a mango or coral color, or cranberry as some people suggested.
January 29, 2013 at 6:45AM     
PRO
Budget My Build
No, try a tan leather couch instead and a glass table for the center of the room. Figure out your budget and you can refer to here for questions. http://budgetmybuild.co/
January 29, 2013 at 9:40AM   
Laura Makey
Great job. Did not like where you started but love where it ended
January 29, 2013 at 9:58AM   
thislittlehouse
Looking good! I love seeing how the room has evolved! The rug is great. Can't wait to see some tangerine!

One thing: the furniture looks too crowded at the end of the room. Remove the bench again and shuffle the couch and chairs away from the fireplace a smidge.
January 29, 2013 at 12:27PM   
PRO
studio | FORMA
Great Job!!!
January 29, 2013 at 2:18PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Yes, they will work fine.
January 29, 2013 at 2:21PM   
DeHaven
How did you find the rug you wanted so fast???? It really looks great and makes the room more playful and young. You sure can be proud of yourself! Before going to all the trouble and putting more holes in your wall, why not live with the curtain rod where is for awhile and see how it feels in a week or two, you may find you like it once other things are done.
Have you tried putting the red bench where the glass top table is? And if it isn't too long, putting the glass top where the heavy round wooden one is. Might lighten things up a bit.
January 29, 2013 at 7:12PM   
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Just wondering......would you consider removing the fireplace mantel completely and playing up the hearth more? Fabulous changes but maybe remove one of the palm trees to the master bedroom and hang the rug on the wall!
January 29, 2013 at 7:32PM   
Janelle H
The fireplace mantel can't be removed, the supports are actually built into the brick. And the rug is exactly what I wanted because I bought a cheap plain one from Ikea and painted it!
January 29, 2013 at 8:47PM   
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Hi Janelle! Your new space looks great! You've certainly made it your own and you're having FUN with it!
January 30, 2013 at 7:13AM   
DeHaven
You painted it yourself?!!!! You just keep amazing me. It looks great!
January 31, 2013 at 11:40AM   
marewalker7
You did a great job. The room looks so inviting. Enjoy.
January 31, 2013 at 2:54PM   
nickerbell
Love seeing all the changes you've made Janelle! It really looks great. Thought I'd post another pic for ideas! Happy decorating!!
January 31, 2013 at 4:29PM     
jansgirl
Janelle-you are absolutely my hero. Look at you go!! Love that you brought in the rug.

Is it just me or is the red just not the right shade of red for the room?
February 3, 2013 at 12:52PM   
Janelle H
Ok. Still have more painting to do but the first table is orange! Super bright ( more "construction" orange than I was hoping for) but I think I like it... My husband loves it, which is a little weird for him. I might need to change out the yellow pillows and probably the art ( which i liked before but I am starting to hate it). I am still planning to do both of the other side tables in orange, but I wanted to see how the color looked first...oh and one photo has the trees both on the same side, I don't think I like them non-symmetrical like that but figured I'd let you guys see both ways..
February 3, 2013 at 9:23PM     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Hi Janelle I love your collaborative spirit in posting the picture with trees on side for everyone to see as requested by some. I like the trees at both sides instead of just one side.
Also, Kudos to you for painting the side table. I am sure that was labor intensive. Where you planning on applying a wash or rub on the the tables like the ones posted earlier?? I think that applying the dark wash would tone them down a bit and still keep some of the vibrantcy.
The lamps look great on them!!
February 3, 2013 at 9:40PM     
tytytytyty
I have loved watching your room coming together...I would replace the coffee table with a sleaker white oval shaped coffee table, or add some bright colored one, Id prefer the white...love the red side table and the colors popping on the fireplace now..maybe a larger piece of art work behind the couch....if you put the white colored table then you can place some high colored pieces on it... add a little silver with it to pull out those gorgeous lamps more...loving the cushions also...the legs painted on the couch makes it more trendy looking...I am preferring the plant to the left side of the fireplace...loving watching your room bloom
February 3, 2013 at 11:06PM   
nononanna
Hey if the hubby likes them, 3/4 of the battle is finished - now he's in the spirit of things, too! Maybe the art above the sofa could change, but it's not hysterically important - do it when you find something you like. It's probably going to be easier to mix up colors that have more green in them, now that you've got the turquoise walls and orange table - those colors have a lot of green, and the red is too blue. But it looks great and you love it, so brava!

Maybe the coffee table doesn't need to be in the middle of the room - it's really only there to serve the sofa, so it could go closer to the sofa. Nitpicking! The room is fabulous.
February 4, 2013 at 5:36AM   
Janelle H
I should say that if the orange is bad, I can easily repaint. It was actually remarkably easy to spray paint these, so I can always change the color.

Studio Forma; I wasn't planning on doing a wash on them, as I don't particularly mind the brightness. I feel like they are kinda retro-quirky. And, since they aren't exactly the nicest tables ever, I don't really want to make them look more grungy than they are with fake distressing. However, I was thinking about maybe adding a new color in the insets.
February 4, 2013 at 9:48AM     
michigammemom
Janelle, the orange coffee table is a fun addition and it suits the tropical theme you have going on. The lamps really pop against the new color. I prefer the appearance of your room with the single palm. The pair flanking the fireplace has a hotel lobby look to me. I also like focus on your floor lamp and pretty floral arrangement.
February 4, 2013 at 9:55AM     
marewalker7
Wow. Love the pop of color. Nice.
February 4, 2013 at 11:48AM   
DeHaven
What a difference it makes to put the standing lamp on the other side of the chair! Brightens up the whole room! I prefer the plants on one side but either way, keep lamp there and lower the plants. Maybe you could keep the two on the left and bring in a shorter one for under the lamp. Painting the table is HUGE! What fun! The dark colour was dreary and this is just so much better. Maybe a little softer or rustier orange would work, particularly if you paint all of the tables. I think it might look a little too much to do all of them in the same colour, but don't know what to suggest instead. Maybe the smaller tables black.

Thanks for being such an inspiration for us, Janelle.
February 4, 2013 at 3:30PM     
DeHaven
I just went back and compared the first pic to the last one... my oh my.
February 4, 2013 at 3:31PM     
jansgirl
Love, love the blast of orange, Janelle. Perks up the room so much! And hubby loves it......what a guy! Can't believe what you have accomplished in two weeiks.

I wouldn't paint the inserts on the tables. I think it would start to make the room look too busy.

I got a tip one time that has worked for me. Think "triangles". Not the shape, per se, but to balance colors throughout a room. (See how your white furniture placement is creating a triangle?)

So I would say bring the orange over to the other side of the room ( the table between the chairs) and some on the mantle (art?candles?????) to finish the triangle.

I would say to NOT paint the third table orange. I'd suggest a deeper turquoise. (Heaven forbid we would be the dreaded matchy-matchy....)
February 4, 2013 at 7:23PM     
More Discussions
What parameters do you use to chose a white paint?
I am painting a 2 bed/2bath condo. The whole unit...
Exterior of Home- husband left and that green needs to go too!
I am in the process of picking colors to repainting...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
bathroom remodel
We have a small bathroom vanity with double sinks....
Aged Brass Shower fixtures, please help identify
We recently bought a new house! The master bath has...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.