Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need exterior paint color suggestions
Mindy Morales
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
First time post! Hope I can do this. I have a modest, 1940's house with asbestos shingle siding. I need to replace the windows, and since I will be using vinyl ones I need to choose the color scheme right off the bat.

I recently replaced my front door with a spectacular steel door (big splurge!); it has glass insert (that opens to the inside! Awesome) and custom iron grille outside. The grille resembles a prairie style, a look I am gently aiming for throughout. However, the style of the house itself is still ordinary 1940's tract home, so it won't be full-on Arts & Crafts or prairie. Anyway, my beautiful door came with a surprising design dilemma. Whereas it looks incredible at night, in the daytime it just looks like one big black square. I need a paint scheme that will work with that, since I am reluctant to paint my spanking new steel door.

I hope all of you wonderful Houzz people can make suggestions about paint colors for the siding, and the wood trim (see photo 2 - ignore Christmas lights still attached...) that will work with the light grey roof and that big black square door. Attaching sample photos would be wonderful! I will be removing the cheap shutters, and don't know if I will replace (suggestions?). I live in San Antonio where we are not afraid of bold colors, but in this hot climate dark colors are usually not practical. I will also be replacing the skirting, and am not sure what to do there either.

Thanks to you all; love, love this site!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I have a rental property similar. It is gray with yellow shutters and doors, white trim. Planning on Sherwin Williams Rockwood Clay, Downing Sand and Teal Stencil next job. How are the neighboring homes painted there? Might look to them for a cue on general direction.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:47AM
Mindy Morales
Ha, I come from a neighborhood where the predominant colors are white, white with Freaky Blue trim, Original Green asbestos shingle green, Safe Brown, Disappointment Orange, and the entertaining Different Color for Every Different Addition. You can see, I plan to be a trendsetter. :-)
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:53AM
decoenthusiaste
Does the city have a department that works with the "histerical" properties? LOL! You might look to see if there is a typical palette for historic SA neighborhoods, and start the trend of being more authentic in your own neighborhood!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 12:53PM
sullenbj
Love your charming home. It has great lines. My first thought was the cottage look of a soft yellow/cream with the blak shutters and door with white trim but if you are in the mood for something different check out the Benjamin Moore website for some great outdoor color schemes......Love the shutters in black and the new front door........would take a look at the landscaping as well if you have the budget.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:16PM
Mindy Morales
I like the Benjamin Moore palettes, although I am a little confused about where to put what colors. If I paint the asbestos shingle siding one color, and the door is black...should I get white windows? Then where to I introduce the other colors? There is the decorative vertical wood trim in the gables; should I paint them another color, then paint shutters to match? (note that only two window have shutters; the middle two are too close to the door for shutters) Or, should I remove the shutters and install window trim, in the same style as around the door, which is sort of and arts-and-crafts style? Should I introduce more black somewhere?

Here is a link to a color scheme I like, although it would be difficult to reproduce because the color was "custom" so there isn't a manufacturer or color number. How can I work this scheme with my modest home?
http://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior/%22crisp-architects%22-

Here is another lovely one, but I'm afraid that so much of the reason this works is the balance of that red door:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/exterior/%22goforth-gill%22-

I had to giggle at the 'historical' reference. The only thing historical about my neighborhood is the sewer system. Which they are working on in my alley as I type. sullenbj, I'll get to the landscaping later...that's a whole other project!
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:24AM