powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior Paint: Change light color to ??
hbakerdenver
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Sadly, willing to admit defeat and repaint--but only the light color.

Can you suggest some better ways to transition from the dark brick to the white shingles, either with a different color (but I'm not a beige fan) or through some other tricks? Thanks!

We went with white shingles bc of their energy-saving reflectivity, and although the brick has some tiny white flecks, it's not enough to tie the parts together. The gutters have yet to be painted. This is a new carriage house in a Victorian neighborhood, behind an old house with orange-y brick whose trim will be repainted in a similar schema.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
hheckmd
I love the complimentary purple door and green walls, but if this is a Victorian style neighborhood maybe you should look for Victorian style colors. Thats not my forte, but instead of imposing your color styles on the outside of the house, let it tell you what it needs. In this pic the brick and roof seem to have blue undertones. Maybe a medium blue, lighter than the brick but darker than the roof. While not my fav color it might look great on this house. Save the carbonated color scheme for a surprise once you walk indoors!!!
January 18, 2013 at 12:19pm     
Dar Eckert
Maybe it's my monitor but the siding looks yellow to me. It seems you have a lot of colors going purple, light green, medium green, red brick and white siding. In order to integrate the white you need to bring it into the red brick part of your home. Maybe white trim on the lower windows. I would also paint the entire upper area one color as in your case white. Now try to bring some of the red from the brick up maybe on the unpainted facia and upper window trim.

Good luck
January 18, 2013 at 12:37pm     
hheckmd
The white with white trim on lower windows would be sharp. Get some colorful landscaping like azalea or crepe myrtles depending on where you live!
January 18, 2013 at 12:51pm   
Aja Mazin
What white shingles?

Paint the yellow and pea green a blue gray.

I bet your neighbors would chip in to buy the paint.

lol
January 18, 2013 at 1:01pm   
onthefence
I think a blue gray would look great too - with trim in a slightly darker shade and white. I'm guessing the mortar is a gray tone.

On my monitor, the shingles don't look white. They appear a very light gray.
January 18, 2013 at 1:12pm   
Aja Mazin
Light blue

Pea green

Yellow

Olive green

Avocado

Purple

Taupe

White

And Brick.

What's not to like?
January 18, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Judit
Mauve would look lovely.
January 18, 2013 at 1:37pm     
hbakerdenver
Thanks to those of you who have offered helpful suggestions. I'd have to get used to thinking about a blue tone--hard, since I'd like to keep the upper trim color. The shingles don't show as such in the picture, but they really are white although not shockingly so; white is the only color to get the same reflectivity rating as EnergyStar or Cool shingles. The mortar is a pinkish, modeled after the brick. Would you paint the gutters in 2 tones, one to blend with the brick on the bottom, or coordinate with one of the accents?

The traditional basic Victorian schema is 3-5 colors; in this case the paint is, from light to dark: BM Pale Avocado 2146-40, Forest Moss 2146-20 and dark green Bonsai CC-666. Just so you know not to use! ;-)
January 18, 2013 at 1:49pm   
Aja Mazin
For the gutters, use BM Forest Moss 2146-20 and BM Exotic Purple 2071-10 to make your front door pop.
January 18, 2013 at 3:17pm   
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I think any or all of these would look good with your brickwork...
January 18, 2013 at 5:04pm   
houssaon
I play around with some colors and I think I came up with a good combination from Benjamin Moore - Storm for the body, Barren Plain for the upper shingle and facia detail, Philipsburg Blue for the window and door trim and the facia. See mock-up.
January 18, 2013 at 5:47pm     
houssaon
Here are some of my other attemps
January 18, 2013 at 5:49pm     
houssaon
One more
January 18, 2013 at 5:51pm     
Dar Eckert
I guess what it comes down to is that you should paint the entire side one color otherwise its too broken up. If its pea green..go for it..
January 20, 2013 at 5:12pm   
onthefence
I thought of this thread when I saw the recent attached ideabook

January 20, 2013 at 6:59pm     
PRO
Montgomery Communications
can you post the manufacturer's name and model of the shingle, and we can go take a look?
January 20, 2013 at 7:14pm   
anitajoyce
Paint the yellow in a nice grey color.
January 20, 2013 at 7:22pm