powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small living room - seating options? Left or right chaise sectional?
Chris L
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! I'm in a 724sqft one bedroom apartment with a small living room, and I'm trying to decide how to furnish it. I'm thinking of a microfiber chaise sectional (something similar to the attached photo), but I'm not sure if I should go left-sided or right-sided. Right-sided might help define the area and make it feel cozy, but it might also make it feel clausterphobic?

In the floor plan images attached, the purple squares are the (hypothetical) sectional, the black rectangle is the TV, and the blue rectangle is a sliding glass patio door that takes up most of that wall.

If you have any other ideas about what I should do, I'd appreciate them! I'm a single 30-something guy with a 65lbs dog (retriever mix) and I'd just like to have a cozy area for watching movies and occasionally entertaining small groups.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I would tend to turn the sectional so it fits in the corner and faces the slider. I've never had a client who was happy with microfiber they bought at big box stores, but I'm sure the more expensive manufacturers make some that holds up. I'd advise leather with your dog. Just keep the color a bit light and don't go for black.
January 18, 2013 at 12:14PM     
Chris L
Just to clarify - the first photo is my actual living room (and my dog). The second photo is just an example of the type of chaise sectional that I'm thinking of getting (that's not my dog or my place), but I'm not sure if I should get left- or right-facing (or something else entirely?).
January 18, 2013 at 12:14PM   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I would say no leather with any pets unless you are sure they aren't chewers or scratchers, I have had several leather sofa's and chairs and several animals (cats and dogs) and they don't play nice together at all (at least mine didn't!) One of my dogs who never chewed before all of a sudden decided my brand new leather sofa was a chew toy and of course the extended warranty I purchased did not cover dogs chewing the cushions!
January 18, 2013 at 12:20PM     
Chris L
Yeah, my pup is definitely a chewer. He's pretty good about only chewing stuff he's supposed to, but I'm not sure I trust him with leather around.
January 18, 2013 at 12:30PM   
teresal60
What about putting the tv on the wall where you have the sofa? Then you could see it from the cooking and eating areas too. You could nestle your sectional on the corner by the kitchen/outside wall and find a nice club chair that could sit toward the dining area. Or maybe you could put a console table between the door and the dining area with two small ottoman cubes underneath for extra seating when you have a group over?
January 18, 2013 at 12:34PM     
Chris L
Teresa, switching the location of the TV is a good idea, but what I've found is that when people are over, there's often someone (me) doing something in the kitchen. When they are seated on the other side of the wall, facing away, we can't talk, so they come into the kitchen, and we end up hanging out there. I'm thinking if they can sit facing the kitchen, maybe they'll feel more comfortable staying in the living room rather than following me into the kitchen. That's the theory anyway.
January 18, 2013 at 12:50PM   
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
Microfiber is a good choice with pets since it can be cleaned easily. I would prefer the sectional with the chaise on the left side instead of where you have it on the floorplan. For additional seating I would suggest an accent chair to bring in some interest with fabrics & pattern.

I also like the idea of having the TV on the other wall as Teresal60 suggested. This way when you walk in, the 1st thing you see is not the TV but the couch. But I have the feeling that the cable is on the other wall!!!
January 18, 2013 at 12:51PM   
teresal60
That makes sense. Whatever suits you and your lifestyle is very important when placing furniture.
January 18, 2013 at 1:02PM   
tatjanamandaric16
tatjanamandaric16 to je najbolje receno treba urediti kako se osjecate,kako vi najljepse i u kojim bojama zelite da imate mozemo misliti i na zdravlje u bojama igra uloga za oci,za cijeli organizam da se ne umarate nego da se odmarate u svom stanu ili kuci ugodno onako kako vi mislite da je za vas najbolje
January 18, 2013 at 1:17PM   
Chris L
Remya, yes, the cable is closer to the other wall. :) And I agree an accent chair would be good, that's probably next on my list.

Tatjana, I completely agree.
January 18, 2013 at 5:38PM   
More Discussions
How many walls should I paint?
I've started painting a guest room in a quilted fashion...
My living room needs a facelift
Please help. I've had this furniture for a very long...
Conservatory/Greenhouse
We have a garden level basement. On the west side of...
how woud you place furniture in a 11.5 x 29 ft room.
I have a large window at each end. I have a 5 ft opening...
Help choosing bedroom accessories
I'm a single young woman and this is my room. I'm trying...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.