Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my living room please!!
Lilly nunes
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
we have a small living room, its connected to the kitchen area, but this layout its killing me, i have no clue how to put it together, to me looks simple and boring. i love color and different patterns but i cant put them together myself, we have a blue accent chair and because of the patterns i cant choose a curtain color. i would love to make this into a warm invited place. i have no clue how to connect the living room to the kitchen, so my question is, WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS LIVING ROOM? I would truly appreciated your help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
You have a good start. I think your rug is too bland and blends in too much. I would start by looking for a patterned area rug that has some of the blues from the chair. Then, use other colors from the rug for drapes, throw pillows and art.
4 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:27PM
Judy M
I would add a large sisal rug ( large enough for your couch, chair and coffee table all fit on it). I would add an end table and lamp to the left of the sofa, move the wicker basket to the right side of TV and add a small round table ( no lamp) to the left of the chair.

I would add two drapery panels in a neutral color on either side of the window on a black iron rod. ( hang them at celing height). Last, I would add a woven wood roman blind to the window under the drapes.
3 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:32PM
Darzy
I like that rug! But, agree it is too small and gets lost in the floor. I'd get a pretty bluish rug and layer your rug on top of it to make it pop. Linen look soft curtain panels and a pop of color in a pouf chair on the other side of the tv. Oh..put the chair pillow on the sofa and vice versa. Very nice room and start on a pretty house. Congrats.
Mystic Collection Turquoise Rug
Moroccan Leather Poufs
5 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:37PM
Darzy
Here's custom linen from etsy for $145

3 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:43PM
Aggie Purvinska
I like the room so far, too! Would you be able to find another chair just like it? I think two chairs would be great, and I agree with mmilos a rug that has Blues, would be awesome, or maybe blues and tomato. That way curtains can stay in somewhat neutral territory, maybe beigey with cream Chevron (to work with Walls).

However, you can use red as well..

[houzz=Canopy Faux-Silk Thermal Interlined Curtain Drapery Panel]
The majority of color can be in your wall art, and maybe as acent (pillows, throws, lamps, you can add a tomato color),

[houzz=Starburst Decorative Pillow]

[houzz=New Dhurry]

[houzz=Hemmnes Painting by Michelle Armas]
3 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:43PM
Lilly nunes
thank you everyone, i love all of the ideas. @ judy m, if i put a end table and a lamp on the left side of the sofa, how would i hide the power cord?
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:44PM
Judit
Beige and blue match very nicely. Carry on with the blue on a rug and pillows.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 1:53PM
Darzy
On the blank stairway wall, I think a console table/lamp would be great there. Maybe even a mirrored one. A different wood tone table would look nice as well. Mixing wood tones makes a room feel "warmer" too.

3 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 1:53PM
Lilly nunes
@ darzy , i love the idea for the blank stairway wall. thank you ;-)
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:41PM
Judy M
Leave the floor lamp next to sofa, add the console with lamps as shown above, but add a table next to blue chair. I find it awkward if I'm watching TV and have to reach to the coffee table for my drink.
Nice room, really like the fabric on the chair.
Also consider some art work.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:48PM
Lilly nunes
How bout wall color? Any suggestion?
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 3:15PM
littlemiss6
Find colors you like that can go with your blue, like Green and brown. I would change your rug and get a brown one. ( I recommend looking at Flor.com for some cool rugs) then get simple pillows that are ruffled and plain brown to go on your blue chairs. In your kitchen paint your walls brown and add some little green tiles on them above your countertops. Add some little matching blue things to go around Like flowers, a clock, picture frame, or little hand towels. Hope this helped!
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 3:21PM
judianna20
You have the best of houzz giving you advice. :>). Get a rug to put under the rug you have now. Love the chair, purchase another one and place side by side.. Maybe wallpaper the wall behind the media piece to give some texture. And some pillows with colors to co ordinate with the chair. That blue is gorgeous. Aqua Blue Coral Throw Pillow
Lower your ceiling fixture a bit.
Fringed Hand-Loomed Rug, Blue Smoke
MyRestaurant WallDecorPanels
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 4:11PM
olldtrazz
To tie the spaces together you could add counters tools under the island and upholster in the same fabric as your chair or a complimentary fabric to your chair. Then add drapes to both sets of windows (kitchen and living room) but keep the drapes the same. Don't do a different fabric for each. Then change your lights in your kitchen to similar lighting in your living room (or something that compliments it). Work each space as one entire space instead of two separate ones and then it will flow. Add kitchen accents in similar colors as your living room and all will give you a cohesive space. Beautiful space!! I would also add a sisal rug under your cowhide to make it pop.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 4:49PM
Darzy
I like you wall color as it is.
5 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 5:09PM
larry1333
I would go with orange curtains!
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 5:15PM
larry1333
I honestly would change the dining room and kitchen instead of the living room. I think it would help even the rooms out.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 5:17PM
Lilly nunes
Thank you, thank you , you guys are awesome!!! I'm working on every advice. I appreciate everyone's time.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:25PM