Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room--fireplace wall
sshort
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just got new furniture for our family room. Trying to stay with neutrals--beiges, chocolate brown with punch of reds. A designer told me the TV and console should be shorter than the fireplace mantle so it would not compete for the focal point in the room. The problem is the right side of the fireplace. The designer (space planner) from the furniture store helped us pick out what size of furniture would fit in the space nicely and we are pleased with the choices. She suggested a bookshelf or curio cabinet for the right side of the fireplace along with a tall, topheavy plant (ficus) in the corner. The problem is the bookself/cabinet she suggested is taller than the fireplace mantle. I just not sure it would look right. I feel something roughly the same height as the TV and console would balance the wall around the fireplace better. Also not sure about the tall plant. Our ceiling as only 8 ft and she thought a 7 foot plant would work (?). I realize we need new sofa table, end table and lamps. Still working on that also. Any ideas will be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindalblock
Maybe a small game table with 2 or 4 chairs depending on the size of the area. Then add a picture behind it on one wall and perhaps a wall lamp or floor lamp if the area is dark. Or perhaps just a small armless chair and end table with lamp for a reading nook.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:13PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You really need something tall on the right side of the fireplace. Everything level looks odd. The tall piece will help lift the ceiling visually. Do not go higher than the doors.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 8:20PM
sshort
Thx for all suggestions!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:30AM
sshort
What about a tall plant for the corner to the right of the fireplace? I have 8 foot ceilings, so how tall would be best?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:31PM
vjs12
I would put a cabinet about the size of your tv cabinet to balance out the right side of the fireplace. Sort of like a bombay chest, maybe hand painted design. Home Goods has lots to choose from. I think having something taller like a plant suggested above would throw the room off. Keeping the left and right pieces about the same height will make the fireplace the focal point (which is beautiful). BTW I'm not a designer, but my family room has a fireplace in the middle then on each side are windows taller than the fireplace. Yours would be the opposite: taller fireplace, shorter cabinets. Post a picture when you decide.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:47PM
Darzy
I agree with you that a piece of furniture roughly the same size as the tv would balance the sides of the FP (a bit taller than the tv). How about a "secretary" desk there? It would be useful for a quick laptop google search too. But, everything is a bit "heavy" in the space so I would recommend a coffee table a bit less bulky.

0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:08PM
sshort
Appreciate all the different ideas! I am leaning towards the idea to balance each side of the fireplace with similar height furniture. I have trouble seeing out of the box, as designers are able to do. I wondered if anyone can explain how you can lift the ceiling visually? Since the ceilings are 8 feet, I feel the room needs that as well. Here is another pic.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:50AM
sshort
Could I balance the right side of the fireplace with a tall plant? Like a ficus tree?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:06PM
jkristamagee
Photo collage of you and your favorites- maybe add a family monogram letter with - or make a conversation area over there with 2 chairs of perfect size that you love and bring out your room(I don't know how it can be brought out more though because its BEAUTIFUL!) - or even just one cozy chair and table with a gorgeous floor lamp- make a nice reading / napping nook- if this is your only delay I'm jealous!!! So much can easily be done because this is gorgeous! Congratulations on this beautifully done home! It's elegant but home and cozy.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:51PM