Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Vinyl window replacement color and style
tallyhoally
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Purchased a '73 ranch on 4 acres from the original builder/owner. We have replaced all flooring. Pulled all the paneling down inside. Replaced all millwork which are now white inside. We are replacing the single pane aluminum windows and I am unsure about the color. We will be using a very nice vinyl window. I have replaced windows in 2 houses. I chose double hung, 6 over 6 grid in white.
I like this look but I'm unsure with the new house how this will look. We will get double hung or triple in vinyl. I have been advised that I "should" get the offwhite without any grids. I really like the white on the inside of the house. Matches millwork. And I feel like the ranch style lacks drama as it is. Which the grids would bring. But don't want to stray to far from the architecture of the house.
We plan to remodel the entry with wood stained door. Wood on the walls in the entry, rock stoop and walkway with small columns/lighting on top. A slight rustic feel. Planning on taking shutters down as well.
Is there a rule of thumb for window style (grid style) and color?
Not sure you can see in the pic but to the left of the entry is a very large triple window.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
You should go with the divided lite windows they will be beautiful with what you have planned. I cannot tell what the brick color is so i cannot suggest a color BUT you can purchase your vinyl windows with one color for the outside and a different color for the inside. Find a window dealer in your area so that they can show you the options.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 3:45PM
tallyhoally
Brick color resemble Austin limestone in color. Obviously without the variation. Was wondering on the window left of the entry. If I did the "lites" there would be 54 individual lites in that window. Seems like a lot. Do you think it would look odd to divide each pane into 4 lites for a total of 36 "lites"? Thank you for your reply. The house is in Lucas. Saw your location. Very nice work on your website.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 4:08PM
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
That would be great. I have a wonderful window company if you need it. And I can help with anything else you might need.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 4:23PM
tallyhoally
Perfect. I'll contact you via your website. Thank you, Alison.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 5:18PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I think the architectural style of the house could also benefit from bronze colored windows at least on the exterior. This could also be attractive in the interior if you do divided lights even with the white interior trim. If the stone exterior can be painted then I would eventually paint the walls a mid range taupe and eliminate the shutters as none of them look like they would authentically work.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 5:48PM