Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with my Den / Sunroom
nkuranc
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am having trouble tying together these two rooms. The den has maple flooring and the sunroom has beige/brown tiles. I have painted the walls in the Den a pale yellow to match the brick where the woodstove used to be. There is a maple bar in the sunroom and the wood on the walls is all as honey colour. I would like to keep the wicker furniture but need suggestions as to what colour to recover the cushions. Also need suggestions as to how to arrange furniture. Any help is very much appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Den's yellow walls R too similar to yellow tone wood flooring. Here's an inspiration picture for den.

Here's an article on testing wall paint color http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/

I cannot see the sunroom very well. But white canvas is usually good with wicker & honey pine. If fabric is pre-shrunk, it can be washed & dried in a jiffy & is easy to maintain.
January 20, 2013 at 12:00PM   
nkuranc
thank you. Please keep the suggestions coming! I am thinking a window seat in teh sunroom painted the same colour of the walls in the den may help join the rooms a bit. I would like to get a big area rug for the den too (to cover the light colour flooring) and one in the sunroom to match.
January 20, 2013 at 4:49PM   
jjandhk
I really like olldj22's photo--that's exactly what i was thinking also--white walls, woodwork, furniture. The photos all look dark; I'd want to brighten up the space. ( I might even paint the brick!) I also cannot make out the layout of the 2 rooms very well--could you explain a little more, or post a couple more pics?
January 20, 2013 at 5:00PM   
pauli12
If the barstools were painted black they would pick up the dark places in the brick and it will look more pulled together. It is a nice brick look and space.
January 20, 2013 at 5:06PM   
Dar Eckert
The walls in the sunporch should be the same color as in the other room. Can you get the floors refinished to match?
January 20, 2013 at 5:31PM   
pauli12
I had a sun porch that actually had been a porch and the walls in the porch were cypress. When we enclosed it, we left them and it always made a good contrast.
I kind of like the way your two walls are a little different.
I guess it is according to the look you want.
January 21, 2013 at 4:56AM   
nkuranc
the den is off the kitchen and is a long narrow room with maple flooring. The walls were pine but I paintedd them the creamy yellow colour that goes with the fabric on the brown leather chair. It also matches the desk furniture well. I couldnt stand all the wood. There is also a built in maple china cabinet on the opposite wall of the brick wall. To the left of the brick is a large wide opening into the sunroom. All the walls are pine in the sunroom. It would be too much of a job to paint these walls. I thought if I got matching area rugs for the den and sunroom it may tie the rooms together better. The are technically one big room but sadly have different flooring. Maple floors in the den, and tan/brown tiles in the sunroom.
January 21, 2013 at 5:52PM   
More Discussions
Needs Sprucing Up
I would like to spruce up this area with maybe some...
Not sure how to layout my awkward shaped living room
Hopefully, you can see how my living room is shaped....
grout color for subway tile
We're renovating a home from 1910. The floors are salvaged...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
need help for my building
Hello guys!! I wish to get some ideas regarding the...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.