Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with stone fireplace decoration
Coldwell Banker Burnet
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have been remodeling our 1977 built house quite a lot last few years(kitchen, sunroom, mastersuite, and guest suite) . Now what I find it tricky is to finish up the house to flow through and decorating the details. I don't know what to put it either over the fireplace or next to it. I kind of like the idea of having the stone fireplace as a focal point of the room without anything over it and I took down the wreath which came with the house. I don't know what to do on the walls next to it either. The corner TV cabinet is going to go as soon as I figure out what to do on that wall since we don't use this TV.
Just for the information, the exterior of the house is the Tudor style and the house is transitional/eclectic style in general-except dining room and living room are traditional/formal. Kitchen and the family room is transitional, sunroom is more modern.
I would really appreciate your input. houzz.com is my new addiction and love hearing your ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Leave the fireplace bare the stone makes enough of a statement. If you are not using the TV loose it. Paintings on the walls will add the pop of color you are missing.
4 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:57PM
jenpa8
I love this old flag stone, how about a strong horizontal mantel that goes all the way across that wall and incorporates some buit ins? Then a nice contemporary mirror and a few choice pieces to cozy up that stone. I would also consider a lighter paint color, that color is swallowing that end of the room in darkness. It'll also help your furniture stand out more.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:00PM
Darzy
I think I'd leave the FP bare...the stone being "traditional" but floor to ceiling without a mantle is more contemporary. So it works. But...I'd paint the FP top molding a deep charcoal gray or espresso (like the chair legs or grout color) for an even more contemporary edge. I'd also paint the tv armoir the espresso or charcoal color for the same reason. For the right side of the FP, I'd get a "reading lamp" floor lamp for by the end table and chair, then a fab piece of colorful art (vertical rectangle). The end table is a bit too big there but it's "Okay". A smaller round table would be nice there.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 8:10PM
Darzy
Not this style! But this sort of arrangement with art, lamp, table, chair....

0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:14PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Wow, thank you so much for all of your inputs. This is my first time to post on "discussions" and love the options you can provide. Yes, the fireplace has a good size molding which actually is the same color as the kitchen cabinets. We added this when we knocked the wall down between the kitchen and the familyroom and redid the kitchen. Thank you again.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:16PM
Darzy
YW..btw..a contemporary art piece next to the stone of the FP would work nicely with your transitional style. Did you notice the art above? That would look fantastic in your space! You've done a great job with you 70s home. I too have a 70s home and have 90 percent remodeled. We also have a stone FP (in a cathedral ceiling) and I'm working with it too. :)
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 8:22PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Beautiful!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:23PM
jjandhk
I agree with you--lose the tv unit; and keep the fireplace bare! If you put in another armchair, side table and table lamp there--you'd have a very cozy sitting area.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 8:26PM
PRO
G3 Studios Decorative Painting
Getting rid of TV and entertainment center would be a good idea. The built ins on either side would be a nice addition as well. Even if it was just some barn wood shelving or something rustic like the half log shelves. They sell faux stuff like mantle beams that would be neat and cheap and easy to install. The right artist can make it look completely convincing. Here's a link.. Most of the stuff is a tad cheesy but there are some hidden gems if you dig around a little. http://www.fauxwoodbeams.com/
(Maybe minus the dead stuff on the mantle though:)
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 8:28PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
O,K. I just put my corner entertainment center on the Craigslist! I am so excited to do something about that end of the room! Any other ideas to decorate either side of the fire place would be great. Thanks again.
FYI, the fireplace is reflecting the light because it has the 3M film to prevent the cold air from coming in. We only use the fireplace in the basement-not this one.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 9:00PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Now I'm conviced that I am going to lose the entertainment center, I need to think of another chair to put in that corner. Is there any rule of thumb on how to mix furniture in terms of the fabric? As you can see from the picture, the couch is brown with some black pattern, the arm chair has this stripes on. I would like to add a more modern chair possibly lighter color. The other option I thought of is to move the armchair next to the big window 90 degree angle to the sofa and add a pair of chair either side of the fire place. How can I add another chair or two without looking busy? Thank you so much in advance.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 5:33PM
jjandhk
such a beautiful space! I would put in an Eames chair --it's a style at home almost anywhere! And add a floor lamp. I would lose the wooden table on the right side of the FP, and put something "lighterweight" on the other side of the armchair, and pull that armchair a litle closer to the FP. Here's a couple ideas.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 8:36PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Thank you for taking your time to suggest items for my familyroom.I do like the idea of lighter end table. I will be hunting for some art pieces for both walls. I'm thinking of metal wall sculpture type thing to give some demention. Thanks again.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 11:01AM
Darzy
shasha, I like your idea of getting two chairs that match to flank the fireplace.
Since you are removing the tv..the art flanking the fireplace I think should be similar contemporary pieces, but a pair. Contemporary, yet traditional look with the symetry.

1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:07PM
Darzy
Like this art, but vertical orientation.

1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:15PM
Darzy
How about a pair of modern looking wing chairs by the fireplace? It would fit into your transitional modern/traditional look you want.

2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:20PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I too would leave the fireplace bare. I like Darzy's idea of painting the top molding the grout color. I would get rid of the TV unit and I would flank the fireplace with 2 matching chairs, simple modern design in a great pattern..but not too large of a pattern. Add very small round glass top tables on the outside (toward wall) side of the chairs (a place for a glass & book). On the wall space about the chairs, I agree again with Darzy, large colorful art pieces.
2 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:27PM
PRO
Living Space Landscapes
I always think living plants are the secret to happiness. A potted Norfolk Island pine might be just the thing you need. Of course anything green would be great while enjoying a Minnesota winter.
3 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 12:27PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Darzy I think we are in sync today, I was typing as you answered. I think maybe the chairs should be a little lower backed and a little more contemporary.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:29PM
Norma Sassone
I agree about a symmetrical pair of chairs on both sides of the fireplace. I also agree that the stone is too nice to cover up. But once you have wall space on both sides of the fireplace you could put some artwork on each side - nice and big to stand up to the boldness of the fireplace, perhaps an abstract with red to echo your cushions in both rooms and a large clock or mirror on the other side.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:36PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Thank you for your great suggestions. If I do get a pair of chairs, what should I do with the armchair we have? Should I put it next to the window? Or should I order one more of this chair and use it as a pair? Or is this chair too heavy to use it as a pair? Do you think more modern and lighter color pillow could dress this up? Thank you in advance.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:16PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would do 2 new lighter weight chairs and find another place for this one.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:37PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Also, I would look for large art with color as suggested by Darzy & Norma. You have dimension with the fireplace & stone.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:41PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Good-point! Thanks a lot.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 3:35PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
Here is a new pillow I got for the family room. I'm wondering about a pair of red chairs or cream color. Any suggestions on the color for the new chairs? Thanks again.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 3:46PM
Darzy
I like your new pillow! Cute and "feels" good by the stone design.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 4:49PM
Darzy
Try putting the cream leather chair there from the sun room to see if the cream works there. Then, put your ottomans by the FP together to see how that color works.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 5:01PM
PRO
Coldwell Banker Burnet
What a great idea! Thanks.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 5:56PM
PRO
Groovywares.com
I love the eames chair ides - iy you do that look, try a 60's real vintage metal sculpture. many to choose from at groovywares.com
0 Likes   July 11, 2013 at 1:53PM
bevballew
Agree with Darzy. Put some pieces you already have in the corner to get a feel of what will work.
0 Likes   March 8, 2014 at 8:22PM