Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any suggestions for a damaged DR table?
Lori711
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This friend's diningroom table has been distroyed by two (former) cats sliding across it and a puppy teething on the bottom of one leg. Any suggestions besides the usual refinishing approach?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lori711
Thank you kindly but this is not a floor, it's a dining room table. Please read what caused this problem in the write-up. Thank you so much. By the way, I love the picture you posted of the inlay for a floor problem! Again, this is a table.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:32PM
Darzy
I think sanding and restaining is the only option and only if the scratches aren't too deep.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:37PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hmmm, I'd find a local furniture refinsher, have them give you they're opinion of whether or not it is salvageable.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:40PM
Manon Floreat
The most inexpensive thing to try first is the Old English Scratch Cover furniture polish. I've used it with good results - but it does depend on how deep the scratches are. Otherwise, you may have to look into refinishing. Refinishing is quite DIY friendly if you take your time and follow the steps.
http://www.oldenglishpolish.com/sf2_scratch.shtml
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 10:41PM
houssaon
I had a puppy that decided that a hand-made quilt rack was his chew toy. I still use it and ignore the damage - it was quite bad. So I've been through that. But I also have a damaged furniture repaired and it was not that expensive and I was really happy with the results. It sure beats having to buy a new table or always having a table cloth on.

I also refinished end table tops that someone spilled water on and didn't clean up. But that was when I did a lot of sweat equity in my home. I'm pretty handy and it wasn't that bad. These days I would have someone else do it.

Good luck!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:51PM
Susanna
Lori, I had this happen and this worked on mine: Steinway ( yes, the piano people) conditioner/ cleaner in a spray can. It is not cheap-6 bucks a can- but boy is it worth every penny. Clean the table well. Then buy a furniture stain retouch marker closest to the wood color. Go lighter rather than darker if you don't find an exact match. You can find these at hardware stores, online or Home Depot for around 4 dollars. They look, and work, like magic markers! Fill in the scratches and wipe away excess with soft cloth. When dry, use Steinway high gloss polish (another 6 bucks). If it's good enough for rare, antique Steinways it should be safe for our tables! :-)
I am not a furniture expert but was told about this by a guy who works for a living fixing furniture at a furniture store. I guess it depends on how deep the scratches are but why not try it first...I was amazed at the results of mine. Seriously. Good Luck!
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Need help for my living room
hi to every one i have 2 red sofas and a black...
kareine
how to coordinate light fixtures???
We are still in the process of building our home. I...
barbncon
Plse help teen bedroom
Recently purchased mew home, my son wants his room...
michellewilmott
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
licksch
Need help blowing up photos.
Hello Friends. Does anyone have good recommendations...
massimigliano
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.