powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please HONESTLY tell me what you think of this FLOOR... Like? Dislike?? Impressions??
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please be honest. How do you feel about this floor?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Nancy Schnur, ASID CAPS
I like the floor very much. I think a wood floor with varying shades is much easier to work with than the pre-engineered that are all one shade of wood.It also adds depth and sometimes age. Not sure if age is what you were hoping for but in a wood floor I think age is a good thing
January 18, 2013 at 10:19pm     
Darzy
The floor looks great! How you furnish/style the room will make the difference. : )
January 18, 2013 at 10:20pm     
Terry Albert
Ugh...Floor looks cheesey...put a large area rug, with a lot of color in this room!
January 18, 2013 at 10:24pm     
Manon Floreat
I think it looks great. It has depth and character. What are your plans for the millwork?
January 18, 2013 at 10:34pm     
solraven
It looks fantastic. What do you not like about it?
January 18, 2013 at 10:36pm     
PRO
TY so much everyone for the feedback on this - don't want to bias anyone. Please keep the honest coming! @terry - would you be able to describe which aspects of it you don't like and what you would prefer to see there instead - love all of these opinions! - ty everyone!
January 18, 2013 at 10:48pm     
angiesays
The stain looks even and the color is good. It does appear to need a finish of some sort in your preferred sheen.
January 18, 2013 at 10:55pm     
daneddy
Put in the millworker, get your furniture back, and this floor will speak to you. It is very beautiful, this size of room can support the variation. It's wood, what's not to like?
January 18, 2013 at 11:00pm     
PRO
@angie - good point! - there is no finish on this at this point!
January 18, 2013 at 11:02pm     
collettec
How do YOU feel about the floor? It appears you're not sure. Is it the stain color or something else that you're unsure of? It looks like the stain was just applied. Is the color not what you expected or wanted? Or does the stain application not seem right? How does it look to you and what are your concerns?
January 18, 2013 at 11:04pm     
PRO
plan is for traditional apx. 3'' millwork around the windows (no corner medalions, just mitered/45 degree angled corners) - traditional yet simple baseboard and crown moulding... the baseboard would be about 3-4'' thick with few routed details. .. This is one of the area rugs I came across on (a very deep discounted) sale and was thinking of for on top of the floor in one of the rooms: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/granada-tile-dhurrie-rug-blue/ ... of course a neutral jute or something else bright and colorful should be ok too
January 18, 2013 at 11:09pm   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
GORGEOUS! Add your baseboards, window trim and then fresh coat of paint. Nice job!
January 18, 2013 at 11:17pm     
Jayme H.
It looks very nice.
January 18, 2013 at 11:21pm     
Manon Floreat
Sounds like you have a good and solid plan. From what you describe, I'm imagining millwork similar to the below. Clean and classic.

I really hope you post pics of your progress. I'd love to see them!
January 18, 2013 at 11:32pm     
Susanna
I love the floor. The problem is that white walls steal wood grain. White will make wood go flat brown. if you hold color up to it, the life of the wood-the grain- comes back.
I looked at the rug you want and I think if you paint the walls light blue to match the rug, you will like the floor more. Right now it is stark white and the floor looks too strong because of it. I think that might be what worries you. But, like I said, I believe the issue is the white wall, which you will probably paint last after the woodwork, so keep going! I think your room will be beautiful!
January 18, 2013 at 11:34pm     
PRO
Thank you so much everyone!! We are going to keep them as is! Your support has been so helpful! I am so honored that so many of you like what we have done. Now I'll reveal that we actually received this cut of floor sort of by mistake! That being said, we decided in the interest of time to go with it and see how it turned out. @artistea I really agree that looking at it with just the stark primed white walls is not fair... @ sol and em, the issue at first is that I was worried people may think they look a little too "busy" or "bold." To Nancy, Darzy, Manon, Dane, Artistea, Jayme, Marie, Sol, Angie, Terry, Em and all, I promise to post updates!! This will be a slow going process (only able to do a little at a time), but I hope to make it come together. You have all helped so much. TY TY TY!!!
January 19, 2013 at 10:13am     
PRO
@Manon -that picture of the millwork is definitely what I had in mind. Thank you for that - I'm going to continue to use it as a reference/inspiration!!
January 19, 2013 at 10:14am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Love the floor. It is very versatile could go with any style decor.
January 19, 2013 at 10:17am     
PRO
M.A.S. Construction
Is there still a coat of urethane to go on? There are certainly some color variations which can be nice and add character. looks to be a few boards that are different sizes as well?
January 19, 2013 at 10:26am     
PRO
Design with Vision
It can be a great background. The question is "what else will go on the stage?" Go simple with furnishings. Simplicity will make it shine.
January 19, 2013 at 10:41am     
stoneponies12
I love the floor and your room will be gorgeous when you are done. The color variations come across as interesting and warm, LOVE it! The PB rug is nice too.
January 19, 2013 at 10:47am     
jillh20012
Terrible. The color is much too dark which makes it look circa 1970. Sorry but you asked for honesty
January 19, 2013 at 11:08am     
lsyp
Pretty!!!
January 19, 2013 at 11:11am     
ejdss
Beautiful floor. I've not read all comments, but, if you've not had wood floors before, I think you'll be very happy. I had a wonderful 1700's house in MA where all our floors were wood (surprise); easiest to take care of, easiest to accept decor, easiest on the legs. Even our kitchen had wood flooring (not original but old) - we lightly refinished with pine tar with a drop of kerosene or turpentine (can't remember which) for preventing tackiness and finished with a linseed oil mixture which I used about once every 18 months to refresh. Worked like a charm even with four children, dog and cat. Enjoy!
January 19, 2013 at 11:12am     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Hi, I am starting off with saying the flooring prof. is doing a great job. That being said, I am not a fan of this level of "dark" in a floor. I comprehend the esthetics of dark floors, they are not my "cup of tea". The movement is beautiful. This amount of movement is very popular and highly fashionable right now. Everything is "all systems go" from the level of work, the professionalism of the finish and the fashions of today!

What I am seeing is beautiful work...but not my taste. I think you will have a wonderful time on these floors. Go with what your heart says...if it sings "Yeeeeeesssss", then that is all that that matters!
January 19, 2013 at 11:18am     
PRO
@ MAS - yes - definitely still needs poly! - we received some boards that were a different size than we ordered... specifically the skinniest boards. so yes, variable width sizes are certainly there :)
January 19, 2013 at 12:12pm     
PRO
Ejd - that sounds wonderful! We have cats and are sure they'll give the floor a little added character LOL, but we are ok with it! I should add for everyone that this house is circa 1895 and the floors were similarly originally dark from what we know .. so paying homage to think, while i usually do like light floors a lot too, i feel good about
January 19, 2013 at 12:17pm   
PRO
@cancork and jill - i appreciate those comments/feedback so much btw - no need to apologize at all! - great to get the feedback/see how everyone feels about these
January 19, 2013 at 12:18pm   
tancha_yet
The floor is too dark i guess,so you can not use very active furniture
January 19, 2013 at 12:19pm   
Lisa Ferrell
Dark floors have been outdated for the last 40 years. But, it's back in style now and probably will be for 20 years at least. This is a beautiful floor. I'm jealous.
January 19, 2013 at 12:32pm   
safarispotter
Floors will look much different/better with area rugs & furniture
January 19, 2013 at 12:53pm   
anitajoyce
Nice hardwood floors!
January 19, 2013 at 1:02pm   
judianna20
That is a great floor. As others have pointed out it needs to be finished…don't go too shiny. Once you get all your trim on, it will be spectacular. You will be able to go the more traditional route or contemporary.

January 19, 2013 at 1:48pm     
judianna20
ejdss, enjoyed hearing about your 1700's home. I am in MA also, and lived in an 1820's house on the Cape with the old wide plank pine. When we moved in we had them refinished and they held up great. May I ask where you lived?
January 19, 2013 at 2:05pm     
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
My comment as well, it just needs the finish on it. And yes - once your furniture is in and the room is done it will look terrific. Keep going :-)
January 19, 2013 at 2:08pm     
kjwhamb
LOVE the floor! Ours has a medium stain, and I would like to go darker like yours.
January 19, 2013 at 2:14pm     
Holly Mayeux
I love it too.... agree with needing a finish sheen of some sort. Looks very rustic/old world so you have lots of decorating options. Absolutely think darker hardwoods these days are more attractive. Be confident! It really does look great!
January 19, 2013 at 7:42pm     
shortped
I like varying depths of stain too BUT it looks a little reddish, which sometimes makes things more difficult...what is your furniture like? What are your planned colors?
January 19, 2013 at 8:19pm     
mnoswad1
its only half done, reserve your judgement.

It will look more even when you put poly on it. It will glow and even out in color somewhat as the poly (oil based) is applied.
January 19, 2013 at 8:38pm     
PRO
@shortped - definitely hear you on that. The walnut has the slightest bit of red/warmth that shows in it. It is exaggerated by the warm incandescent lighting that was used to take the pic a bit and fortunately isn't super red in person. I agree that makes furniture choice tough! Our furniture is really basic at the moment... actually, who am i kidding... we actually don't own any furniture for this room yet. This project has draimed us, but we will piece things together as we can. :) lol - I can say that I got a great area rug on sale from PB (blues and whites in it!). - @monowad - thank you! - can't wait to see what it does look like after the finishing coat... i do feel it will be better.
January 19, 2013 at 9:26pm     
PRO
@judy g - that photo is great!
January 19, 2013 at 9:28pm     
MJ B
Please view the photo Manom sent you as the trim is wider than 3". I also like it and the base looks more like 5 1/2". I think those aspects make all the difference in how the finished room looks as much as the floor. I also think Bona Traffic satin waterbase floor finish is the best.
January 19, 2013 at 9:47pm     
PRO
JWinteriors
mbme is correct. Do not skimp and go with the smaller trim. The larger trim makes the room look more expensive. Keep it white to contrast with the floor. The multi tones will allow you to put espresso furniture as well as maple of all shades in there. The variations also make it distinctive as real wood floor vs the veneers. You will be very happy with it. Don't be afraid to put color on the walls,
January 19, 2013 at 10:11pm     
shortped
Definitely go with espresso ... Stay away from woods with gold or red tones with floor...I think it will be beautiful!
January 19, 2013 at 11:29pm     
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.