Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Use existing sofa? Or buy new?
Brooke Olson
January 18, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I posted a dilemma here for a large room and got fabulous responses. Love the design suggestion below, and have a poll for everyone....bc I need to save my budget.

I have several ikea ektorp slipcover sofas. So my dilemma is:

Use my existing sofa and purchase the vellinge beige cover below? If I do this I can purchase a rug with more blues/indigos like the one in the inspiration photo, and will have more $ for accent pillows and window treatments.

Or

Buy a new sofa like the one pictured (tufted) And use a rug I already own like the red one pictured below?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brooke Olson
Link to original post... And room photos. http://houzz.com/discussions/309669
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:36PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Wow - your getting pretty specific here. My vote is that you contact a local designer, have them come out and help you decide. Way better advice, ensuring you are getting the right advice. Best money you'll ever spend.

Have as many samples of items you want to incorporate, but are not sure how to go about it. Have fabric, paint and wallpaper samples there as well. Although most of us come out with our paint swatches.

good luck!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:38PM
Brooke Olson
Wallpaper is already up. Part of the design dilemma. It's very pricy scalamandre and I don't want to take it down. Plus...don't have $$$ to buy enough new to involve a decorator. :-( most I've ever worked with want to do all the work and provide all the materials. I have an embroidery business and recover my own furniture and make my own draperies. Just looking for some feedback on new sofa or just the slipcover for my old.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:43PM
Susanna
I vote to use the one you have. It has been my experience that tufted is never as comfortable. You also will get more mileage out of the added accessories. I think you can actually get closer to the inspiration photo. By the way, if you buy a new rug, I think the dark blue in the inspiration rug is the reason the room works so well. It is very grounding in a very light and airy space. A rug that is mostly red, like the other photo, doesn't work as well. I really love this inspiration room! Gorgeous!
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:46PM
Manon Floreat
Generally, a rug is more of an investment than a sofa. Fine Persians actually appreciate with time. With that said, I'd opt for a quality rug that compliments the chinoiserie walls and hold off for a quality sofa until you have the resources to do so. In my opinion, a great rug can elevate even the most modest of furnishings.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 11:55PM
houssaon
If the sofa is in good condition except you don't like the covering, then it makes sense to get a slipcover provided that the slipcover fits well. But if the sofa is starting to sag, isn't comfortable, isn't the right style then it makes more sense to buy a new one.

What makes the inspiration room work is the very monochromatic furnishing with the pop of the exact same blue in the pillows, chairs and art and the backdrop of the dark blue and red rug.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 11:57PM
Brooke Olson
Thx everyone. I have some great accent pieces and chairs that will need to be covered and updated with blues, would much rather spend the money making the "look" right!!!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:00AM
Brooke Olson
Ok...another question/poll. Is this mirror too small for this brick mantel? The existing room is 10ft ceiling. Mirror is approximately 30x40-ish. But it's a fabulous 18th century hand carved french gilded mirror with original glass. Could use in other room, but fits the design so well!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:09AM
houssaon
I second Manon Floreat. If you can wait on the sofa and slip cover it as you suggest. Get the right rug for the room. But for your room, the red rug might be fine, because the wallpaper is basically red, white, and blue.

Here are what I think the colors of your room, which I am basing on the rug as well as the wallpaper. The wallpaper is a certainty, but the rug might be a bit different. How close is it to the one you posted colorwise?

What I am suggesting is that the red and the browns and cream become more dominate and the black and blue is less so. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Maybe a better matching rug is the answer - one with blues and red rather than brown and red...
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:23AM
Brooke Olson
The red is for certain the same. But my rug has more teal, yellow and cream than this one. Ill try to find a photo.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:30AM
houssaon
No black? That would be good!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:36AM
houssaon
As for the mirror. Cut out a newspaper to size and tape it up to see. Looks a little small but might work.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:38AM
More Discussions
what colour?
really happy with grey roof but what colour should...
Outside window garden.
When I sit at my computer desk I look out to the backyard....
Don't kill me, which color furniture would you go with?
I've posted many times about this, so I apologize....
Our New Patio.
Hi Everyone! We just purchased this home a few months...
Need help with master bedroom!
The headboard wall is painted black fox by SW and the...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.