powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! How to arrange mirrors and art on the walls?
leeshamay
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help please- where would you place mirrors and art/photographs in this place? I need some ideas!

Please see attached pics of my living room layout.

I have the following requirements and restrictions:
- a believer in feng shui, I cannot place a mirror on the wall directly adjacent to the window as the placement woudl be bad luck
- I would like to reflect the water view from the window somehow
- I like the idea of a starburst mirror and a large rectangle mirror- but is it too many mirrors in one room?
I was thinking the rectangle on the wall behind the couch and 1- 2 starbursts on the wall next to bookshelf above the dining table?
- the sliding door causes anything placed on the wall directly behind the couch not to be centred with the couch - will this look funny?
- will putting art on the wall next to the window be too much, as it competes with the water view and bookshelves?
- what kind of art/photos would be suitable and in what config?

Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks so much
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
The floor plan does not enlarge. Can you move the sectional so sectional's back is to the DR. Then you can enjoy the view directly from the sectional instead of through a mirror. There may be enough space for the TV on the wall next to the view window. The bookcases on the wall where the wood-tone trunk is. Wood tone trunk might be a cute coffee table for sectional.

Instead of repeating the view in mirrors, repeat the feeling the view gives you with touches of blue (2 solid blue pillows and 2 blue print pillows on sofa) & blue glass or pottery on bookshelves, DR table &/or coffee table & art. 2-Piece Toss Pillow Set in Blue Scroll SALONG Vase, Turquoise "Shoreline" Unframed Canvas Art by Caroline Gold
January 22, 2013 at 3:41am     
jjdesignkloos
yes yes yes to olldj22-- lovely art and accessories and layout!
Take advantage of that beautiful view!!
January 22, 2013 at 5:17am   
janishill
The floor plan does not enlarge and the weird border around the second picture makes it difficult to see the room. If you will post new pictures we might be able to help you more.

In the mean time place the TV on the wall where the trunk is now and the sectional on the wall where the TV currently is. One etagere can go on the hall wall next to the window and the other one can go on the wall at the end of the dining table, once it has been turned.

Paint the trunk white and use it as a coffee table.

The little star burst mirror you have over the TV is too small.

Once you have furniture rearranged post those new pictures and a new floor plan - that will enlarge - to see what other ideas people might have.
January 22, 2013 at 5:18am   
leeshamay
Hi - many thanks for your comments. I have reattached my floorplan hopefully this is better. This arrangement of furniture was actually determined in another houzz discussion (thanks to those that helped)! Unfortunately I dont have the option of flipping the couch to the other side as suggested by two people on here as the view would then switch onto an adjacent building outside rather than the water view ie the current placement of the couch is designed to maximise views of the water from both the couch and the dining table. So with the furniture sorted I am now focusing on mirror and art placement. Any ideas?
January 24, 2013 at 3:10pm   
leeshamay
I forgot to mention the starburst over the tv in the second pic is not actually a mirror it's a clock. So looking to add mirrors at this stage elsewhere. Many thanks for comments so far - I like the ideas and pics with the blue accents and will look for similar items.
January 24, 2013 at 3:14pm   
TanCalGal
To reflect the view, mirrors should be across from the view. What is on the DR wall across from the view-window? A closet? Could the closet doors be mirrored? I don't think other mirrors placed here & there on LR walls R going to reflect much of anything.

I wonder if the rug should be pulled up to or slightly under the TV unit. 2 or 3 large round objects next to view-window as here, also I like the funky, youthful peace sign on wall behind sofa:

I see area rug has curling corners...I have not tried personally, but I have read these will help http://www.amazon.com/Curl-Stop-Anti-Curling-System-Corners/dp/B005BYNCZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359073830&sr=8-1&keywords=rug+corner+curled
January 24, 2013 at 4:33pm