Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room needs character
jeremiet
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
First time homebuyers and were overwhelmed by the blank palette. This is our family room and I like the concept of a fireplace. Just not sure about the red brick. Maybe it's a little much. I would like to rip it all down unless there was a red brick idea that I would like. I also have a 55" led tv that I would like to hang on the right side wall instead of putting it over the fireplace. I'd like the fireplace to be e focal point but I don't want to strain my neck watch tv. So any ideas would be appreciated. I was thinking slate grey for the walls and I like the extra wide baseboards. Not sure where to find the ones I see in houzz ideas for that would be great too. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
aniluap2
You could just paint over the brick for a fast, inexpensive solution . However, is that real brick or just a veneer? If its fake it is rather easy to take off and just refinish the wall. I would dress up the wall with a
Substantial fireplace surround and mantle...the shelf is way too high. The TV placement you are thinking of is perfect and you could arrange the seating in an L shape facing the TV with a single chair
To the left of the fireplace at an angle give the allusion of the fourth corner of your seating rectangle.
I would also take out the wrought iron railing as it looks dated and replace with a wall that height for a more modern feel or remove altogether .
January 19, 2013 at 8:01AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Leave the brick, but make it less of a focal point by dressing out the fireplace with a substantial mantle and surround as suggested by aniluap2, but then cover the entire wall with a built-in shelving over the brick, leaving the brick exposed as the back of the shelves. At the same time you could beef up the rest of the trim in the room as suggested above. Do all of this in the white of your trim color, make the shelves have a thick front edge, make some of the shelves taller than others for display. but make sure the shelf lines go wall to wall for a symmetrical look. Leave the space above the mantle open and place a very large framed mirror vertically in that location. The brick will be minimized, low expense and a great look.
January 19, 2013 at 8:16AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Choose your furniture and rugs before you select a paint color..there are thousands of shades of paint and only a few furnishings you would like. To defuse the slant ceiling look, be sure to paint the walls and ceiling the same color. The room will appear much higher and do not add crown molding. It will only highlight the sloped ceiling. And for sure remove the iron rail completely.
January 19, 2013 at 8:22AM     
onthefence
I love Barbara Griffith's idea of the built in shelving with the brick as the background. You'd get some wonderful display space and break up the expanse of brick. You may even want to consider small randomly placed LED pucklights on the shelves to highlight.

And yeah for you for not installing the TV on/over the FP.
January 19, 2013 at 8:35AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I do agree with Barbara and onthefence these are great ideas. I however do not agree with the ceiling and walls the same color. The tall wall I would paint the grey color you liked. Then have the others in a much lighter shade of that same color.
January 19, 2013 at 8:54AM     
aniluap2
Bookshelves may look a little odd since the ceiling slopes down on one side. Although the eave adds character, it may not look so good when it is emphasized with book shelves that are asymmetrical because of the architectural limitation . I agree with beefing up the molding and. Waiting to choose wall color until after the furnishings ate decided. Another option for the brick is to distress it with a dry wash of white point that is wiped off to give an aged look and downplays the red.
January 19, 2013 at 9:20AM   
sealedesign
What draws my eye is the angled brick area where it meets the ceiling. How about sheetrocking around the fireplace. I think you can glue it on. Also get rid of the railing. I drew this to show how it would look.
January 19, 2013 at 9:23AM     
aniluap2
Great visual sealedesign
January 19, 2013 at 9:28AM   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree with the above comments.

Consider a large area rug with the same colours as the fireplace brick, leaving abut 1 1/2 - 2 feet of tile showing, not much more. You might consider a black stone - granite or marble on the hearth top. Then a very long - wall to wall mantel about 10" above the fireplace. It can be 2 - 3 inches thick and about 8 - 10 inches deep. Wood for the shelving could be a dark walnut to an espresso. A very large piece of art above the fireplace, or wall art and then more shelving on the left and right sides. If you do the darker gray, and the lighter shades on the other wall. I would consider wrapping that lighter colour up on to the ceiling if it's not too dark, or at least put 10 - 15% of the wall colour into the ceiling colour. Could look very warm, rich and inviting.

You could also consider some really great custom cushions on the hearth to the left and right of the fireplace leaving enough clearance so they are not a fire hazzard. And yes, replace or remove the railing. You could go to a combination of iron and wood.
January 19, 2013 at 9:34AM   
jeremiet
All very great suggestions. Surfing the site I'm inspired by this setting didn't know how post the link so I took a screenshot
January 19, 2013 at 9:42AM     
sealedesign
To save a photo, just right click on the photo you want it choose Save and put it in your pictures folder. Then use the button below your comment "Attach Images"
January 19, 2013 at 10:16AM   
PRO
M.A.S. Construction
Attach a natural stone mosaic to the wall, Give tons of depth and looks like it took a mason plenty of time to complete. Heres a pic of a backsplash i did with the material i am suggesting
January 19, 2013 at 10:34AM     
PRO
Something like this, colours aren't exact but it gives you an idea, except the angled wall is missing. I'll try to do it later when I have more time.
January 19, 2013 at 11:17AM     
sealedesign
Carolyn C nice visuals. the angled wall could be hidden somehow or offset by something. A tree or something?
January 19, 2013 at 11:49AM   
judianna20

Decide on how much brick you want showing and then build around it, shelving on one side and t v on the other.
January 19, 2013 at 11:59AM   
houssaon
Here is what shelving looks like with one side at an angle:
. It is not bad.
January 19, 2013 at 12:05PM     
houssaon
I think Barbara Griffith's advice is so on target.

These are close to the type of shelving I imagine: Maison Greene :: living room.

I thought it would be easy to find an example of Barbara Griffith's suggestion on Houzz. It wasn't, but this comes close - even if it is a commercial space: Art Theater.

Here is one more: Old Street N1: Victorian Mill Conversion.
January 19, 2013 at 12:20PM     
PRO
Something like this, but trim up along the angled wall. Sorry I can't get that angle in on this program
January 19, 2013 at 2:05PM   
jeremiet
As an edit to my original post I meant to say I would like the tv on the left wall. @carolyn great graphics! The darker wall in your virtual drawing would hold the tv. @houssaon your last post with the grey couch and grey fireplace is exactly what I would like. Floating shelves on both sides which can still show the brick. As a few of you suggested I would like to soften up the red color and give it a distressed brick feel. I just have to find out if they are veneers or bricks. Not sure how to tell. Looking it up on the Internet. :D
January 19, 2013 at 3:00PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would probably move the lowest section of shelves to just over the outer edge of the hearth and enclose them with doors for storage and a ledge on top.
January 19, 2013 at 4:10PM   
PRO
sounds like a plan Barbara :-)
January 19, 2013 at 4:27PM   
PRO
This is not to scale at all and very basic but it shows doors on both sides at the bottom - optional
and a rough idea of the plan. You can change it up to suit. I don't know the scale so it's just a mock up
January 19, 2013 at 4:57PM     
sealedesign
I was thinking the same thing, wanted to see it. the black lines sort of take control of the brick and now the angle doesn't bother me
January 19, 2013 at 6:16PM     
sealedesign
Carolyn, I added the TV in black since that's what it will look like when it's off. Here it is. I do really like your design or was it a combo design from many people's input..
January 19, 2013 at 6:20PM     
PRO
Yes, its a collaboration :-) . I changed it above and drew in the optional doors on the bottom. I like both and think it's a matter of the home owner's personal preference. I'm on a different program right now so the line drawin above is very basic. I think if I understood Jeremiet correctly, they don't want the TV there, they want it on the wall on the left. I do like it on the brick wall as well.
January 19, 2013 at 7:12PM