Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help select paint color and color scheme
vanandric
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help picking a color scheme. Specifically, I am looking for a paint color that works for the living room with the existing fireplace and the leather camelback sofa. Disregard the throw pillows, those are long gone!

The carpet is currently being pulled up and the hardwood floors are to be refinished (stain color is yet to be determined). The sofa will be placed along the wall to the right of the fireplace. I would like the space to be more of an "updated traditional" look. Nothing too stuffy, but not too trendy.

Any thoughts? Great ideas? Any ideas...they are all appreciated! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
Perhaps a blue-gray.
January 19, 2013 at 8:12AM   
vanandric
A blue-grey....hmmm...something I never thought of. That sounds interesting.
January 19, 2013 at 8:14AM   
snickers01
Maybe a very light brown, similar to the background color of the brown and gold pillow and a cream color for the trim. I'd face the sofa on an angle in front of the fireplace and put a console behind it the same dark wood as on the sofa. I would find a throw rug that has both the wall color and the color of the sofa for color and to anchor the space, and I d add a couple of chairs for plenty of seating.
January 19, 2013 at 8:18AM   
vanandric
ah...another nice option...going more neutral. I can tell this is going to be a tough decision!
January 19, 2013 at 8:20AM   
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
There is a strong peachy-pink undertone to your fireplace and floor, so they work nicely with your sofa.

Normally in a room without a lot of windows, I would suggest something lighter like Benjamin Moore ELEPHANT GRAY 209-50 or SEA FROTH 207-60. But these would make your fireplace almost disappear because they are so similar in colour. You're going to need to have a darker wall.

If you painted in SMOKED OYSTER 2109-40, you'll have a more dramatic look which will make your sofa look fresh and interesting. This is a very unusual colour pairing so your room will look quite original.

I'm attaching a photo of this colour and another of a room painted this colour to help you visualize. If you need a contrasting "white" I'd use OYSTER 275-70, but in this room, with a limited view in the photo above, I'd say paint the trim in SMOKED OYSTER semi-gloss with the walls in SMOKED OYSTER eggshell or washable flat.
January 19, 2013 at 8:28AM     
vanandric
Yes, that peachy-pink is what is throwing me off. I have tried to read it as a "leather" as opposed to a "color", if that makes sense. I love these options.

When using a bold color, would about the ceiling? Would you paint it the same as the walls or perhaps cut the paint 50% lighter?
January 19, 2013 at 8:34AM   
vanandric
I did some quick photo shopping trying a blue grey color...thoughts?
January 19, 2013 at 8:52AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like the blue but it needs more grey if that is the direction you are choosing. I really like Cynthia's idea.
January 19, 2013 at 8:58AM     
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I think if you look at the photo with the blue against the fireplace you'll see how it just kills the fireplace and floor colour although it works with the sofa. For the ceiling, I'd suggest the SEA FROTH cut 50%. It will be pale but have some of the right undertones.

Of course I'm making these suggestions without knowing where else this ceiling will adjoin and what other elements there may be (cabinetry?). A basic 'ceiling white' is going to be fine too, as that's a white that has no added pigment to tweak it warmer or cooler.

I also want to add that I LIKE YOUR PILLOWS! With the new paint colour your pillows might feel new to you, and they'll look great.
January 19, 2013 at 8:58AM   
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I suggest finding a rug you love first. I like to start with a rug when I'm deciding on a palette. Pull colors from the rug and find a paint color that coordinates. Don't try to match the colors, just use the rug as a guide to select colors and see how they all can work together. Good luck with your project.
Charmean Neithart
January 19, 2013 at 9:11AM   
vanandric
Just to clarify...the current carpet is going. The original hardwood floors will be refinished. Stain hasn't been selected yet. There is no cabinetry in the room or other notable architectural features. The windows to the left of the fireplace extend about 12 feet.

My BM paint deck does not have the colors Cynthia has suggested...I will have to make a trip to BM for samples!

Charmean makes a good point...perhaps, try getting a rug first but at least I know what colors to look for.

This is more challenging than I thought! But great ideas....
January 19, 2013 at 9:26AM   
cardioshell
Think overall scheme first. Fireplace ( color, mantle, finish ) is modern - sofa ( color, shape, texture) is not. I think you need to reconcile the two with a common color or your scheme will be confused. I suggest a light silvery grey wall color. To make this color look good - you MUST have crisp white accents ( like picture above) or it will look drab. Paint your crown and base moldings quite white. Look for patterned sofa accent pillows that have at least some strong white. AND I strongly suggest having a new white-painted wood mantle made and installed over the existing marble mantle. This will update and tie everything together. Last, add LARGE paintings ( interior color matters little) with crisp WHITE matts and black frames. Now your room is "together" which is far more important than any one piece or item. Current and classic. Done.
January 19, 2013 at 9:43AM   
vanandric
I didn't want to have to make major changes to the mantle but I do love a new white painted wood mantle. I think I will have to reconsider the mantle because I think you are right, it will tie the style of the fireplace and sofa together. Good advice. Thanks!
January 19, 2013 at 11:49AM   
michalin
Light brown ot olive green
January 19, 2013 at 1:23PM   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
For actual paint colours it is always best to pay for an interior design consultation - there are way too many variables for anyone to guide you online with colours.
Trust me, it will be the very best money you will spend, and getting it right the first time does have a worth! Good luck,
January 19, 2013 at 1:44PM     
PRO
JWinteriors
If money was no object, I would frame out the upper part of the fireplace in a dark wood that would coordinate with the dark wood floor paying attention to trim details and adding a TV to this area. I would diagonal the sofa with the fireplace to make the fireplace a focal point. I would have a chair on either side of sofa to form a conversation pit. Include your tables- along with one behind the sofa to dress up the back and add lighting. I would anchor all of this on an area rug that tied all colors together. A soft tan on the walls would keep it calm for the eyes. Make sure your white woodwork is freshly painted to keep things crisp. I would add window treatments that were 95" tall to give height to the room. Art on the walls should be large. Accessories should make statements, but not clutter. Keeping to larger items. For added seating, an ottoman could be between the coffee table and the fireplace with a throw draped neatly on it for color.
January 19, 2013 at 2:11PM