powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My living room is missing something, what is it?
Cathy Johnson
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I think it needs something in the corner
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
medium sized live plant might be nice in the corner.
Table lamp needs to be a larger one.
Art above sofa needs to be much larger (wider), and a darker frame might create more visual interest and work with the room better.
Is the couch centered between the sconces? If not, try doing so. Can't see in pic, but window treatments? Sconces are very far apart. Don't know if putting them closer would be better.
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:36AM
Cathy Johnson
Thanks for the reply. The couch is centered and I'm unable to move the sconces. I think you are right about the picture, much larger and a little lower as well. I've wondered about another table and lamp in that corner as well.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 8:48AM
Jayme H.
Lovely room! Would you consider lowering your art and/or a larger piece? Just a few pics of pedestals...maybe with a decorative vase on top?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:52AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would add two, more substantial end tables, maybe not just legs & top, but more boxy to ground the area a little. weighty lamps, bigger, wider bases with rectangular black shades. Above the sofa a tall (50"-60" tall) wide-framed mirror. Flank the mirror with 4 same framed pieces(approx. (18"x18") of art, etchings, whatever, but 2 vertically on each side of the mirror. I would pull that red color from your rug and choose a wider stripe fabric to reupholster the chair seat of the settee, and patterned print, again in the red and other colors from the rub for the other chair. Maybe a few pillows for the couch in each of these fabrics. A very small plant stand size table, maybe black iron with a glass top next to the smaller chair on the right side (if you are sitting in the chair). Finish with an above mentioned green plant 4-5' tall to the left to the settee.
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:06AM
Jayme H.
Or...floor lamp as long as it does not interfere with your sconce
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:16AM
PRO
Color Zen
As mentioned, a huge painting, hung lower behind the sofa. And a little touch of bright color somewhere, could be an additional throw pillow or simple, short cut roses in a square vase on coffee table. Something to add a bit of energy. Won't take much, good luck!
3 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:24AM
groveraxle
Agree with all the suggestions above and would add that the sconces look really dinky on that wall. Do you use them? If not, I would remove them altogether and go with substantial lamps.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 9:24AM
Cathy Johnson
Love all of these ideas. Some I had thought of so now I feel a little more secure with following through. Thank you!
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:11PM
tjprentiss
Hi Cathy - some good ideas have already been posted. One thing to consider is the scale of the room and furniture (your room and furniture is almost all the same size and scale - some larger or smaller pieces could be mixed in - including lamps and artwork). Also take a look at the lines - everything is the same height in the room - consider adding height - a tall piece of furniture, lamp, artwork....
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:44PM
PRO
Design with Vision
I would eliminate the sconces for they serve neither function nor aesthetic. I suggest a larger interesting end table on one side and a floor lamp on the other. Find a piece of large artwork you love that has more color and darker frame. This will help balance the visual weight in the room that is presently all in the lower half. I would also consider painting the room to give it more depth. You are on the right track by the questions you ask.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 5:58PM
carbary
I think you have a scale problem. The art over the sofa is way too small for the space. Your coffee table is too small for the space and doesn't tie in the 3 pieces comfortably. Perhaps two squares tables might be better or a larger table.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:50PM
sealedesign
I think it needs a fake silk tree to soften that corner. love all the suggestions.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:04PM
sealedesign
I would google about coffee table size in relationship to couch. I think there is a formula.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:05PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi Cathy. I think you need to darken the walls, or at least the wall behind the sofa a bit, add a chest or another table to the right and two nice size lamps. The art above the sofa needs to be larger. I agree with Barbara above, a large mirror in the centre with pictures on either side would look great. I also think it would be nice to add drapery panels on the windows. See what you think.
4 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:07PM
silvisideas
A large painting over the Sofa will transform the room.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:08PM
marianbode
I like the idea of an asymmetric arrangement in the middle, behind the furniture, larger lamp and I agree with a floor plant in the corner. Good luck.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:17PM
sjkingston
How about 2-3 section wide bookcases that look built in with glass upper shelves and closed lower cabinets on either side of the sofa. You could use the hardwiring for the scones to hardwire lighting in the bookcases. If your scones are on a light switch, you would turn on the bookcase lighting when you enter the room. A large piece of art (or a set of prints) hung a bit lower over the sofa. Not sure what is going on the left wall (a bay?) but wold it work to swap the single chair and the bench settee as the lines of the staircase fight with the settee and it looks like the single chair might work better on the right side. Looks like the accent pillow colors work well with the rug but agree with comment that you could use more color or maybe ivory pillow behind them to make them pop. With all the wood tones, what about a brass/glass coffee table to warm up the room and work a bit better with the traditional furniture. The small side table is the right size to sit in front of bookcases, but need one on the other side and possibly larger lamps also in a pop of color would be lovely.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 8:13PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Carolyn C Great job, but I would turn the center mirror vertical and the side pieces larger..need to draw the eye up..but that is the idea.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:41PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Thanks Barbara, I agree, just did a quick job to give Cathy the idea but it would be nice if the mirror was taller and the two side pictures were a bit larger.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:55PM
kathrynmcdonald
Colorful art would be much more interesting than a mirror.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:04PM
Cathy Johnson
Wonderful ideas! I'm starting with the end table idea of "less legs". Carolyn C, what a big help your "picture" was. I can start to see what that wall should look like. There is a bay window to the left, I've tried the Settee there, but I've placed a library table in the bay and the Settee definatly fights with that. I like the large mirror idea and then smaller colorful prints on the side. So many thoughts....silk tree mmmmm. I'll consider. Thanks to all! I'll post another picture when I've chosen something.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:55AM