Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
3 sided fireplace delimma
Jason Perkins
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hoping I can get some help - I have a 3 sided fireplace with step shelving above it (3 tiers - see pic). Looking for ideas on sprucing it up and making it a true focal point in the room. Right now it's just drywalled with the same color as the walls. Should I tile the sides and then add wood bottom that would overhang an inch or two? How do you think that would look? Any other ideas? Thanks much.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lcgrcondo
I would not tile the walls or add wood. Is there any way that you can remove the tiers on top so that it is one flat surface on top?
I feel that the different levels with pictures on each level looks cluttered and takes away from your goal off a focal point.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:45PM
sealedesign
I would remove the pictures and put curvy glass colored vases and some natural plant elements. Break up the boxiness. Nothing added that has any square edges. I would not change it otherwise because it has a personality I think should be worked with.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 7:02PM
PRO
Edmonton Homecrafters
I have a simmilar fireplace in my house. I am going to cover it with stone vaneer.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 8:19PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
To make the fireplace a focal pint, consider adding to the top..all the way to the ceiling and then paint the resultant box an accent color. Try to avoid "hanging" anything on the existing box, like a tripper of a hearth. Keep it simple and clean. Just saw a few ideas on houzz that dealt with this type of fireplace exactly. Search discussions and take a look.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:33PM
MJ B
I designed a fireplace like this a few years ago. What style of architecture is your house? How far is the nearest wall from the 'end' of the fireplace? What rooms are surrounding it on the three sides? Does the fireplace go under the angled support at the ceiling above it? Those aspects within the space would help to determine how to respond to the question.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:26PM
Matteo Dezigns
Im not sure i would mix the tile and wood, but im not opposed to all tile or all wood. My first instinct is wood. A nice laminate/engineered wood material in a very stylish color. This might open pandoras box and make you want to change wall colors, but hard to see the entire look of the room. Look into other 'industrial' type flooring to truly make it a centerpiece!
Good Luck!!
www.matteodezigns.com
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 10:37PM
Jason Perkins
Thanks for the all the comments/suggestions. I really appreciate it.
To answer mbme's questions - our home is prairie style but decor is more simple modern. We like to mix it up a bit. There is no wall that is close to where it jets out. It jets out into our open living/dining/kitchen area. No, the fireplace does not sit under the angled support. That angle is part of an archway that leads into the kitchen/dining area.
Ok, I've decided not to do any tile/wood combo. I think my choices are either paint it an accent color or do a stone veneer. I hadn't thought of that one but will look at my options. I also like the idea of breaking up the squareness of the design with curvy elements on top. I wish now we hadn't done the stepped/tiered design on top. It's made this tough to look nice.
Any other suggestions or comments appreciated. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 5:17AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I am putting a 3 sided one in my cabin and I liked this idea. I think it could work for you. It is only 2 sided but I think it will look good with 3.

1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 5:39AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Simply change your accessories to larger and organic..ie 3 dark wicker baskets...large vase, greenery, 2 items -1 taller than the other..etc. if you close it up, you close up the continuity between the 2 rooms. Keeping it white while the other rooms have color , accentuates it nicely.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 8:31AM
Barb Drenth
I agree with JWInteriors...although if your style is modern, I would probably do large vases or modern sculptures rather than baskets. If it were mine, I would paint the horizontal pieces of the stair steps with a different color - maybe a deeper color or match the color of the surrounding living room walls.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Adding a stainless French Door fridge to this all-black kitchen?
So, my ancient Amana side by side fridge has finally...
What paint color to chose ?
Our whole living room is BM Dry Sage paint color which...
Family Room paint color advice
We just finished removing 1970s paneling from our lower...
What color area rug for light Gray wall?
Hello Houzz-ians Any suggestions for coloured carpet...
Tiny formal dining room
Hello Houzzers, This is my dining room with my table...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.