powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen lighting help needed - what can I replace the fluorescent strips with?
houstonpicky
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help in replacing the horrible fluorescent strip lights in my kitchen! It is south facing but not terribly light as it only has a small window over the sink, though the adjacent breakfast area is lovely and bright. We find we keep the light over the island on a lot. Our color scheme is pale grey walls and I am about to get all the cabinets, doors and trim painted white. The ceilings are fairly low so we need something flush to the ceiling. Our style is fairly modern but we have to live with the traditional cabinet style.
Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jamtan1
How about some low hanging ceiling lights
January 19, 2013 at 9:27am   
houstonpicky
Not too keen on something low hanging as I like clean lines and the ceilings are pretty low and we are pretty tall. Worth considering for over the island, but still have the other light to deal with. Thanks
January 19, 2013 at 9:36am     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Track lighting is an option and more contemporary.

[houzz=
]
January 19, 2013 at 9:38am     
onthefence
Maybe something like a monorail light that would allow you the choice of the number and style of lamps attached?
January 19, 2013 at 9:39am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would put in recessed cans around the work areas and pendents over the island. You will most likely need an electrician for this but it would be well worth the money.
January 19, 2013 at 9:43am     
houstonpicky
What kind of pendants might work? 3 or 4? Thanks
January 19, 2013 at 11:16am   
bonnieth
I like the fixture over your dining room table, will you be keeping it?
January 19, 2013 at 11:38am   
houstonpicky
Bonneith - keeping the fixture over the breakfast table. It was from Ikea and we love it. Thanks
January 19, 2013 at 11:53am   
Harrut
Hi
Here is an idea along the lines you have suggested you might be interested in looking at!
January 19, 2013 at 11:54am   
sealedesign
Ikea has some fixtures that would work. I would see how those fixtures are connected to the ceiling. Are you going to have to paint the ceiling after installation? I'd get a long fixture with center mount, add under counter lights, add over counter lights. Get all this from Ikea.
January 19, 2013 at 12:05pm   
sealedesign
Or you could just live with what you have and bring interest in with other things. It does look neat so there's lots of room for personality.
January 19, 2013 at 12:15pm   
groveraxle
The best route for appearance and lots of light would be recessed cans. That would require opening up the ceiling. Easier would be cable lights which you could probably do yourself. They are as versatile as track lighting and you can get all kinds of fixtures from spots to pendants. Monorail and track would also work.
House in Redding, Fairfield County, CT
don har skon herrgard
Artfully Arranged
January 19, 2013 at 12:53pm   
Charles Lane
I agree that pendants over center island and small (3" or 4") recessed cans ear work areas. I would also highly recommend under counter lights (like "hockey puck" lights) for great work surface lighting. They all can also be put on dimmers so you can create a nice ambiance when entertaining. Might also suggest alone wall color with the white cabinets. Nice layout and design!!
January 19, 2013 at 1:05pm   
PRO
Toni Sabatino
I love Deborah Butler's idea of monorail track. Where the light is in the traffic area you could have those small poitionable pieces and another track with hanging pendants mixed with the smaller positionable type over the island. Tech has some really great pieces to put that together. These can be put on dimmers as well.. check out .http://www.techlighting.com/
January 19, 2013 at 1:15pm   
kro9o
I like pendants, but you need to make sure it compliments the Ikea fixture. Here's an idea...
January 19, 2013 at 1:31pm   
kobley
I know that you are asking about lights but you could also change out your cabinet hardware to something more contemporary. You might like the look better.
January 19, 2013 at 2:57pm   
Sheryl Horton
If possible, use recessed lights on a dimmer with the proper spread & wattage. American Lighting Association has good guidelines. Install pendants on a dimmer over the island, & most important, add undercabinet lighting! Use good quality LED fixtures (not home center) for the undercabinet fixtures with the proper color temperature bulbs to enhance food & for less heat. Try outwater plastics online.
Do change your hardware!
January 19, 2013 at 3:12pm   
houstonpicky
Loads of great ideas. Thanks!
Am very interested in the comments on hardware. I would love to change them but have no clue what could look more modern with the cabinets. Would appreciate some ideas. Thanks so much!
January 19, 2013 at 4:09pm     
More Discussions
Looking to update and improve curb appeal, 60s colonial
The previous owner did not maintain the siding well...
Need ideas for an out door kitchen.
I am thinking stone or brick, but not married to the...
Need ideas for kitchen backsplash - its not level!
The floor is not level in this old house which makes...
What decorative items do you hate the most?
It does not have to be overused or trend that should...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.