Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color for the walls?
susstru
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What colors would go on the walls? Should I add another accent color?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lcgrcondo
I think the colour on the walls is good, but I would consider painting out the wood trim around the windows in the same wall colour as it is not really an area you want to draw attention to.
I would also consider an accent wall behind the bed in a deep plum/purple colour.
January 19, 2013 at 6:25PM     
christinesherriff
I think you need a lighter color. It depends on how much time you spend in this room. My first thought was that it was dark, and there's not much natural light. Antique White by Dulux would be great as long as you spice up the walls with decor and paint the wood trim.
January 19, 2013 at 6:32PM     
kjwhamb
Keep the wood trim. I like the color, but perhaps something lighter would work even better. I used Raffia Cream by Behr in our small, fairly dark room, and I love it.
January 19, 2013 at 6:35PM   
sealedesign
Can you change your bedding to add some of the colors of the wood in? The house with wood doesn't seem to go with the style of the bed.
January 19, 2013 at 6:41PM   
Tricia Elkinton
Ok, I LOVE your BEDSPREAD. I would pull one of the dark colors from it and put it on the walls. I think the plum/purple would be so personal and comforting. Don't be afraid to go dark. You can paint over anything these days. Get a really fancy celing light and hang the TV on the opposite wall. DONE!!! eriously, where did you find the bedspread!!? :) Don't paint the trim... you can't undo paint on wood trim. The ceiling could be just a shade or two lighter than the walls... doesn't have to be white. I want to see what you do :)
January 19, 2013 at 6:43PM     
susstru
Thank you for the comments....unfortunately, this was an impulse buy on the bedding---and now I am stuck with it. Usually, my taste runs more to the neutral "Hotel Boutique" style. There is a large window opposite the bed, however, I am in Oregon, where it is grey outside ALOT. There a brown chair with a purplish trim also. I would like the cream, any other ideas besides purple for an accent wall? The trim has to stay...
January 20, 2013 at 9:35AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
leave all the walls the same except the one behind the bed. Paint that the dark purple in the spread. It will anchor the bed. I love a dark wall in a bedroom. Heck I like all 4 walls dark for mine. I tend to go very masculine with my bedroom. I really like cocooning.
January 20, 2013 at 9:41AM   
njmomma
Yep! accent wall behind the bed is the way to go.
January 20, 2013 at 9:51AM   
Jayme H.
Ideas for wall colors
January 20, 2013 at 10:14AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I think that by putting up Roman shades mounted outside the from would make the windows look alot larger . You also have a large selection of fabrics to choose from.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/roman-blinds.html
January 20, 2013 at 10:30AM   
jansgirl
Leave your wood trim alone. It's a contemporary styling (unlike mine!) and it looks great. While I really like the ubiquitous white trim...that's the problem...it's everywhere. And once you start painting it..when do you stop????

If you paint the wall behind the bed in a dark accent color (oh please-not more purple) your lovely bed is going to disappear. On my moniter, it appears your wall color picks up the color in your bedspread. I would suggest the accent wall be a slightly darker version of your current color.

I would get cord covers for the sconces anchor them to the wall and paint them the wall color so they "disappear".

If you can pull the floor lamp out from behind your chair and place it on the large window side it would appeal to my (!) eye more. Or if it was off center one way or the other and not dead center. Find a larger black frame and hang it around the Eiffel Tower print to v.sually enlage it. It is too small for the wall right now.

Keep it simple & it will be restful.
January 20, 2013 at 11:47AM     
susstru
Someone had asked where the bedding came from....West Elm, except the throw pillows, those were Home Goods (TJ Max).
January 24, 2013 at 10:28AM   
Amy Lucca
COLOR Behind the bed would look good,purple,,,,and the wood trim look's good.
January 24, 2013 at 10:42AM   
susstru
Paint...I can't do the purple, what does anyone think of Yolo Stone 03 ( for the accent) and Ben Moore Putnam Ivory----or, any color combo in Restoration Hardware's Flax collection? Also, if I tone down the bedding by adding a cream spred and putting the floral at the end of the bed with the Amythyst over the rail. I can take a pic later. Thank you everyone for your advise.
January 24, 2013 at 10:44AM   
jansgirl
I agree: don't do the purple! Love the Yolo stone colors.
January 24, 2013 at 11:03AM   
susstru
Option "B"....jeez, it's going to take me 2 hours to make the bed!!
January 24, 2013 at 11:53AM   
susstru
The wood shelf on end next to the bed is the stone 03
January 24, 2013 at 11:56AM   
susstru
Chocolate for a accent wall? Maybe not quite as dark as the cushion I stuffed behind the bed?
January 24, 2013 at 1:04PM   
susstru
Forgot the photo from the previous comment.
January 24, 2013 at 1:10PM   
jansgirl
I like the stone better.The chocolate makes the bed disappear.
January 24, 2013 at 8:57PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.