Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Weird condo wall with fireplace, window, sliding patio door
dfphoto
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello, as per my previous post, I am in escrow on a sub 150k condo. It has an L shaped living room area over looking a green belt on the first floor. The wall faces east so it's the only natural light entering the unit, what to do with the fireplace. I have zero ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lyndahart246
I would remove the traditional style mantle and replace with a modern simple marble or limestone over the existing tile. It would make the room seem brighter and more modern.
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:16AM
dfphoto
Hi Lyndahart I've never seen limestone (sorry a bit dumb) I want a clean modern look to the whole place so that's good idea, I can't believe there's maybe 6" of space in this setup...I originally wondered if I should add a facade above the fireplace but since i have large windows it seems overkill I guess I have a lost design option here... really a shame it's not in the corner to the right or something...
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:24AM
lyndahart246
Limestone, marble or travertine are all good options. Check out this link to get an idea of the solid surface looks. http://davincimarble.reachlocal.com/?scid=1588721&kw=610699&pub_cr_id=4960730055
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:30AM
Arlen Dau
Is this a functional fireplace or simple fireplace/heater? Does it stick out from the wall outside? Your comment about 6" clearance suggests to me that it is more for look than function. And perhaps the biggest question, do you think you would use it. I am wondering if you should consider removing it and extending the door opening? If this is your primary light source, then more glass would be better, won't it? And if there is little to the structure, then it's removal may be not be too bad. Imagine a 3 section slider or maybe french doors. Seriously, it is positioned in a strange place next to an outside door.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:40AM
houssaon
So you want a more contemporary look, and ideas about how to handle window treatments so close to the fireplace?

Roman blinds would work on the patio door and the windows: Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil and Spring Lake- Living Room.

You could do a coordinating set of Roman blinds with traditional drapes, which would be pulled to the stationary side of the glass doors. I'm seeing more and more print sheers with blinds and I like the look: Playroom and Living Room 1.

Here is a firebox with a limestone surround: Living Room 2. Perfect for your space: Fireplace.
4 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:47AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would do the limestone surround, but also run it straight up the wall to the ceiling...no mantle..hang a large great piece of art over it. I agree with everything houssaon describes..it would look stunning.
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:56AM
judianna20
Ditto, Barbara and houssaon….

For an east facing room, may I suggest BM Sailor's Sea Blue 2063-40 , Crisp Morning Air 780 or Spring Meadow 486.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 12:06PM
dfphoto
Hi everyone, you are all very creative thank you. To answer the questions presented, the fireplace is a working fireplace I believe it is gas the 6" comment meant how close the fireplace is vs the door and window. One of my ideas was to knock the window out and enlarge the opening but I am on the 1st floor of a 3 story condo building so I am not sure about the support aspect of that wall I do know some water runs down the wall to the right of the window and obviously there is some electrical and if gas probably a gas line. Now that I am writing all of that, it seems dumb to enlarge the window.
I thought running something up the wall might compete with the glass door and I did think about adding french doors instead of the slider as I hate sliders. Wonder what that would cost though...
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:46PM
dfphoto
One more question if I was to use the limestone surround are you thinking the limestone would go flush towards the door and window or have a gap....
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:48PM
dfphoto
Judy thanks for the paint ideas I will check those colors out....
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 12:49PM
groveraxle
Remove the current fireplace surround and tile and do something like this all the way to the ceiling:
Modern Living Room
Cary Bernstein Architect Choy 1 Residence
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 1:06PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would run it to the door frame & window frame.The window drapery could go over the edge of it. French doors would look great. Also, if possible, wait until you have all your furnishings and fabrics and rugs to determine your paint color, otherwise you get locked into a specific color that limits your choices.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 1:06PM
dfphoto
Barbara, that does look pretty cool, and good tips on the paint and such. I wanted to go minimalistic.. white/gray/blacks, I think I'm going for a polished cement floor currently it has carpet but since it's in escrow I can't go inside to take a look, when I took the snapshots we only had 5 min. and no lights or electric in the place. You're a good designer.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Thank you...a good designer needs to remember it is always all about the client...not the designer.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:45PM
houssaon
Here is a mock-up of limestone covering the same area as the current mantle and tile and run all the way up the wall.

One thing, I want to mention. I wonder if you would be allowed to change the doors and the windows. Since it is a condo, there could be restrictions. Just think if everyone started to change the windows to suit their style. The outside should be harmonious.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:30PM
houssaon
I have a question about the ceiling. Is it flat?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:33PM
dfphoto
Hi houssaon, the ceiling is flat luckily, I don't see you mock up, and I am also wondering if I can enlarge the windows or replace the slider, in this complex there are about 4 buildings my unit is the only one that faces a greenbelt so not sure about changing the door/windows but I need to at least upgrade the windows to double pane... Here's one more angle of the ugly wall
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:16AM
dfphoto
BTW love the idea of running limestone up, my GF thinks I should do it in cement though, she said more modern and less expensive. I am not sure yet...
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:17AM
victoriathibeau
There are beautiful tiles out there that would achieve the minimalist modern look of cement your GF is after. I also think running it flat to the ceiling is the way to go, no mantle. Add a modern flat glass gas insert.
Doing a vertical cement hand troweled wall is harder to do than you think and I don't think the rest of the space supports that kind of look, which generally needs a greater volume of space and more light to avoid looking like a basement or garage.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 8:33AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Shutters would look fabulous on both those windows . Nice clean modern look.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:52AM