Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
how to curtain these windows?
laineygirl
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is my future family room (just bought the house). For the windows on the left, I am planning to hang long curtain panels well above the top windows. For the windows on the right, I am considering three different options and would love to hear your opinions:

option 1: hang panels the same exact way at the same height as the panels on the left windows (above the smallest trapezoid windows only, for two panels total on this wall)

option 2: hang stationary panels on a slant using medallions (above the smallest trapezoid windows only, for two panels total on this wall)

option 3: hang panels below the trapezoid windows (for four panels total on this wall) Could also consider this for the middle windows only along with option 1 or 2 for the side windows.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
laineygirl
another photo
January 19, 2013 at 12:17PM   
laineygirl
Nobody? I'd love to hear your opinions, please oh please!
January 20, 2013 at 9:05PM   
jansgirl
I would go with option #1. Lovely windows to cover completely. What fabric are you thinking?
January 20, 2013 at 9:11PM   
laineygirl
I don't want to cover the windows because there's a beautiful lake view out there. Probably going to go with these curtains (tan with rust-colored botanical print).
January 20, 2013 at 9:15PM   
houssaon
I think I like the second option the best, because you will achieve a consistant height from the windows on the left to the windows on the vaulted wall. I think drapery hung at different heights in the same room looks jarring.

Actually with option one and option two, the panels can be hung at the same height. What are you going to do for the windows in the center and the glass doors?
January 20, 2013 at 9:20PM   
laineygirl
I wouldn't hang them at different heights. Option 1 hangs the curtains above the trapezoid windows at the same height as the curtains above the windows on the left.
January 20, 2013 at 9:24PM   
houssaon
Those curtains will not be easy to open and close if hung on a rod as shown. How about a shade that you can easily close when you need privacy or light control?
January 20, 2013 at 9:26PM   
kraftyjude
I have identical windows in home just purchased . I am planning to get wood blinds and leave the top windows uncovered. If I go with drapery, I will get oatmeal-colored linen look curtains and still leave all windows uncovered above. Will let my furnishings and throw pillows make the impact and not compete with patterened drapery. The windows speak for themselves and do not need much fanfare.
January 20, 2013 at 9:28PM   
laineygirl
I'm not planning to close the curtains at all... Don't need privacy as the only thing outside is our deck, our yard, and a lake. (No nearby neighbors.) I will get some kind of shade for the lower windows only if light glare becomes a problem.
January 20, 2013 at 9:33PM   
laineygirl
There are two sets of doors... one in the middle of the left wall, the other in the middle of the right wall. On the left I figured I would just hang the panels like on the windows at either side, but on the right I can't do that with the big trapezoid windows above. That's why I was wondering if I should do option 3 -- shorter panels below the trapezoids.
January 20, 2013 at 9:38PM   
talory
Why even put draperies up at all if it's a part of the house that doesn't need privacy or protection from the sun? If you're not planning on closing them, why even bother? Let the outside become part of the inside :)
January 20, 2013 at 9:50PM   
laineygirl
The room feels naked to me without curtains. I guess I want to "frame" the view.
January 20, 2013 at 9:56PM   
mveasey
Congratulations on your new home!
I can see what you want to do.
I would put the curtains all the same height.
I would go with simple, neutral coloured curtains, probably cotton or linen,it will feel more natural with the outdoors. Don't do a print in this case, it will look "too much" all together and distract from the beautiful view.
January 20, 2013 at 10:06PM     
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
I would do inside set natural blinds on the lowet windows/doors only. It will add some natural texture, compliment the outdoors, & looks great with the leather & not look busy.
January 21, 2013 at 1:48PM   
decoenthusiaste
I would cover the upper windows - rectangles and trapezoids - with UV film, only if you find sun fade to be a problem. With the overhang outside, maybe only the rectangular transoms will need it. Then hang all panels from a decorative rod mounted in the space between upper and lower windows with the panels hanging loose between the windows. They'll look much more put together if they are at the same level. I think the medallion idea looks good with drapey, foldy, more sheer fabrics, but not for your lakeside application with the massive stone pillars in view. Keep it simple, and in fact, live with them bare for at least six months before you make your decision. That way you can see what the sun is doing, how the light plays, where the glare is, etc. Don't decide before you become familiar with the way your room and windows interpret the location undressed.
January 21, 2013 at 2:01PM     
laineygirl
A couple things... I DON'T want to cover the view. Also, the furniture shown in these photos is not mine. This is how the previous owner furnished the room.
January 21, 2013 at 2:01PM   
dcuno
My parent's home is very similar but is built over a clift. My mom (being handy with a sewing machine), used tension rods top and bottom of the windows she wanted to "dress up" and gathered a sheer material (thus not blocking too much of the view) on the top AND bottom of the lower windows on those rods--drawn together in the MIDDLE with a strip of color (matching her room) so you could still see out. Simple and classy and not too busy. She hung pull drapes on the sliders only (also a rather see through mesh type natural material, but they could be drawn if needed). She left most of the top ones open, but did hang several antique stained glass frames inside some of the above windows on hooks (they looked like art work with the sun shining in). I wouldn't cover a window with a view!!
January 21, 2013 at 2:23PM   
laineygirl
Thanks everyone! Here's a better photo. Again, this is NOT my furniture and the faux paint is now gone too.
January 21, 2013 at 2:32PM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The Ripplefold Sheer Drapery would not cover up the view at all.Below is a link of a better picture of the view out but it depends on the fabric you choose.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
January 21, 2013 at 3:33PM   
laineygirl
I appreciate the suggestions but honestly, I can't stand those ripplefold sheer drapes. I would NEVER buy them.
January 21, 2013 at 3:38PM   
rubenator
I would not curtain the top windows, they are beautiful and add light and compliment the beautiful roofline. I would curtain the lower sections with a really sheer white or off white plain curtain fabric, not lace, just plain, and hang them from oversize rods, making sure they were fairly generous in length. As you don't need privacy, I would use them as a frame for the view and then you can close them as you wish.
January 21, 2013 at 3:46PM     
More Discussions
What should I put above the sofa?
Dear Houzzers ! This is our family room.I am not sure...
Need Help with 5 X 11 Bathroom Layout!
I have an old craftsman house with a bathroom that...
Basement colours
Hi, I am having serious colour issues with our basement....
Need help decorating Living room fireplace and wall
I have a large fireplace and wall and not sure how...
Need help finalizing kitchen remodel and feedback of picked items!
I'm remodeling my kitchen and have ordered appliances...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.