Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wood panels and an enormous fireplace
kjwhamb
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our dream is to remove the fireplace surround and replace it with something, well, reasonably sized. We'd take down the wood paneling (which only has plywood behind it) and cover it with drywall. Eventually, we'd put shelves and cabinets on each side.

The problem: money! We have a little to spend, but totally redoing the fireplace and walls will add up. Are we missing a simpler solution? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
groveraxle
I actually like your asymmetrical fireplace. Instead of removing the stone, how about playing it up? Remove the paneling and replace with drywall--you could probably do that yourself--then do something like this:

January 19, 2013 at 2:26PM   
Tracy Lagona
I love your large asymetrical fireplace surround. I wouldn't change a thing. The only problem with that room is the paneling is so dark compared to the light floor and the light stone. I agree with groveraxle's comment and love the picture he/she posted for inspiration.
January 19, 2013 at 2:31PM   
kjwhamb
Thanks already for the input! It's comforting to know the asymmetry is OK. (My husband is more opposed to it than I am.) You're totally right about the wall. We usually have some bookcases on the right so the contrast isn't so obvious, but we'd like to not have to worry about that at all.
January 19, 2013 at 2:35PM     
brendanightsky
I would go with the other comments that the panelling is the first that has to be replaced with drywall that I would paint in a light colour taken from the stone ( beige or white tone). The wooden mantle/shelf along the top of the fireplace draws a really strong horizontal line. You might want to
consider extending this to the other side of the the room ( the photo goveraxle attached shows that idea as well) and then install a couple more shelves below it ( extending from the fireplace to the wall with the drywall visible behind it, and at the same depth as whatever the depth of the mantle/shelf is). I like the size of the print that you have above the fireplace and where you hung it. I would add two more on either side (3 in total) of identical size and theme - or if this is not possible buy 3 new prints or photos - all framed the same- my preference would be to have the wooden mantle, the shelves, and the frames all the same wood tone. You seem to have a dark colour on the coffee table. That color would look good. A few more ideas for you . . . good luck
January 19, 2013 at 3:48PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Love the photo above. I was going to post it myself. You can keep your stone and drywall is cheap. The place will look great and it will be done. Use the money you saved for something new for the room.
January 19, 2013 at 3:51PM   
Jillian Zegers
I love the fireplace. I would suggest just painting out the panelling for now for a cheap fix. My family has cabins right on the Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada. They were all built in the the 60's. They all had panelling everywhere. All the panelling was painted out white, carpets removed, old pine floors sanded down and let me tell you. They look fabulous and so much larger. You can always take down the panelling or drywall right over top if you choose to at a later time. Benjamin Moore has great paint that has primer built in to paint over panelling. You would probably need only two coats.
January 19, 2013 at 4:13PM   
anitajoyce
Paint the paneling for sure, for now.
January 19, 2013 at 4:47PM