Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Desperate and stumped: dual room
trmlopez
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am renting a house currently and for the life of me can not get this room to work. I could use other ideas and clues to help me turn this room ( dining and living room) that we spend most of our time in to something put together. Thank you for your time.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
Faced with a similar situation I had a 18" deep x 42" high with storage drawers facing the dinning room and I mounted the large screen TV on the back. Visually it worked. It looks like you could use the storage system as well. This could be done fairly cheaply if you can find a sturdy 1/2 wall bookcase or if your DIY skills are good build it with 2x material with a 3/4" routed in hardwood plywood back.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 4:08PM
PRO
JWinteriors
Is the table used for eating, or just for catching "stuff"? I would remove table and place couch along the window wall with side tables on each end for lamps. Relocate TV to the opposite wall for easy viewing. Butt the dining table up to the far end wall and use only 3 chairs...or turn it on a diagonal and use all 4 chairs. Use a swag lamp with 2 ceiling hooks and place over dining table for meals and homework. Put area rug in front of couch with a cocktail table that is 2' x 4' for snacking, homework, games, etc. Add interesting art, keeping away from school bags hanging on the wall, message board, etc. Put these behind doors in their bedrooms. Organize those book shelves with picture frames, books, art items, etc. Looks real haphazard now. Change out window treatments that are fresh and fitted. JC Penneys has panels for $20 a piece for beautiful pattterns and solids.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 4:13PM
jjandhk
another idea: I would float you sofa perpendicular to the window, with a sofa table behind it--to form a little entry hall; Build or purchase a wall unit opposite the sofa for your books, display, tv, etc. I would use the current white shelves you have for "dining room items", eg. nice dishes, glassware, etc. It looks like you have a fairly large carved piece of furniture to the right of that bookcase--if possible, would your table and chair set fit near that corner; and the large carved piece opposite the window? I agree with JWinteriors about an area rug, curtains, coffee table, and kid's stuff in their rooms. I would also add 2 armchairs facing the sofa.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 4:26PM
trmlopez
Wow thank you guys ! I especially appreciate the detailed responses.

The table is for dining; my husband and children 2&3 just tossed their coats there. I'm totally lacking in design and obviously have a hurricane to clean up after. Thank you again for all your input.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 4:30PM
trmlopez
Trouble is moving the tv; the cable strings through shelving along wall. With that obstacle how can I best formats the room with the tv staying where it is?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 4:45PM
jjandhk
where is the tv? i don't see it...
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 4:57PM
trmlopez
Inside carved wooden
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:25PM
gdodd22
Can you paint? If so, I would. The pictures on the wall with the mismatched frames and clock do not work. That wall needs something bigger or a grouping of frames pictures that takes up more area. If the couch was on that wall with the right pics above it, that would help as well. If budget is a concern, you could look for a decorative wall vinyl. Just make sure the art is big enough for the wall.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:56PM
jjandhk
ok...in that case I would put the sofa on the long wall facing the tv, with a coffee table, and 2 armchairs so the backs are towards the entrance. I'm not clear what the tv wall looks like--if you could send a picture it would help. And then the table and chair set would be on the wall opposite the window.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:18AM
lizpb85
This does seem to be a challenge, especially if the TV is where I think it is- by the white shelves? Right now, as far as I can tell, none of the seating is facing it right? If that is the case, would it work to float the couch and have it face the TV with the Diing room table set up on the wall with the pictures? It seems the couch might be too long for this though?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:53AM
PRO
JWinteriors
As far as the tv cable goes..if you have access to it in the basement..simply disconnect it and pull it into the basement and send it back up on wall you place the tv on.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:18AM