Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wood or plaster for exterior?
Adi Tatarko
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are working on renovating the front of the house with our architect. The idea is to keep the ranch look but modernize it a bit.
We have two options for the exterior: dark wood planks or gray plaster.
We really like the dark wood option but we are worried about the high maintenance (we are not very good at doing maintenance on time nor do we have the time for it).
In terms of the hardscape/landscape, we prefer to go with a fence made of planters (see the plaster rendering) and a tree. We need more privacy given that we are going with glass in the front.

Any thoughts about the wood vs. plaster?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
I love the second option. Wow.
January 19, 2013 at 7:46PM   
kimdee24
I'm with Cynthia. The second option looks amazing!
January 19, 2013 at 8:21PM     
mnoswad1
Plaster?.......or do you mean stucco. Either way.....i usually prefer a darker house, but in this case the grey option looks better, but keep in mind that these kind of illustrations are very far from an accurate representation of what the finished product will look like.

Best option is to have real samples of the materials in hand......not 2 inch squares, but big 4 foot panels of the different options, otherwise its really just a guess.
January 19, 2013 at 8:33PM     
Ridha Triani
the second option looks so natural. easy to maintain.
January 20, 2013 at 12:46AM   
Aja Mazin
January 20, 2013 at 1:17AM   
PRO
JWinteriors
If you decide on wood..check out the cement boards instead..never any maintenance. Do wide framing around sides, windows and doors using a lighter color, then the darker siding.
January 20, 2013 at 1:18AM   
lmiramontes
This house was designed to use wood....which is why you should use plaster.
February 6, 2013 at 9:46AM   
notadumbblond
Stucco does require maintenance. If you are looking at maintenance free, look for a product called Maybec. It would be more in keeping with the original design, but you can update it by the colour or installation design you choose.
February 6, 2013 at 10:06AM   
flgrandma
Go with the stucco over wood and the color is great.
February 6, 2013 at 10:12AM   
notadumbblond
Sorry.... Correct spelling is Maibec.
February 6, 2013 at 10:22AM   
PRO
lewis + smith
It depends on where you live. To do Stucco correctly requires skill and careful attention to waterproofing details by your architect. When done incorrectly, poor flashing details result in rot below the stucco surface. If the house was in the pacific northwest where I live, I would recommend against it. Well detailed and crafted wood siding can look beautiful as well.
February 6, 2013 at 10:43AM   
nikitasmom
I like the way the plaster with window addition enhances the roofline architecture. Love the stonewall. I don't care for trees on lawns but that could be based on my experience with an olive tree we had removed.
February 6, 2013 at 10:49AM   
donna_macisaac
The second one and, of course, the orange door
October 9, 2013 at 7:36AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.