Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for kitchen color
butterflymahm
January 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Having trouble deciding on a color for kitchen. We will be adding either stainless or black appliances and my decorating style is primitive country. It is a fairly large room opened to the family room. I was thinking of painting the mantle black but not sure. It's pretty plain so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sealedesign
I'd paint the island black or dark for contrast. Interesting space, nice materials and a challenge for sure.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:27PM
lcgrcondo
I love your space. I would not paint the kitchen unless you want to paint the entire kitchen and living area a deeper taupe or mocha as there is a lot of natural light.
I like your idea of making the fireplace a focal point and would agree that a darker and larger mantle would accomplish this.....I think black would be good if you had a few other black accents in the family room...frames maybe
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:30PM
collettec
If you painted the mantel black, I would paint the fireplace surround a light gray. I think I would bring the same color in the family room into the kitchen.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:35PM
anitajoyce
Tan would be a nic e color for both rooms, since they flow together.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:54PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Try "Old Village" Paint
Colors used between 1790 and 1840
Excellent for primitive design

http://www.old-village.com/ov_paint_colours.html
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 8:42PM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
If you have rich bold fabrics and art then a grey/taupe mid tone neutral like Benjamin Moore Thunder would give you a great back drop.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:57PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
To just pick a paint color out of thin air does not seem productive to me. I don't know your tastes. We have not seen any of your furnishings & fabrics. Even if you were to buy all new furnishings & window treatments, I would still try to choose the paint color last. There are thousands of shades of paint..but only a few fabrics, rugs, etc. that will appeal to you. Too many people are disappointed choosing a color too early in the process.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 9:04PM
mmilos
I would take down the railing.

Warm gray like Revere Pewter might tie in the cabinets with granite.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 10:46PM
PRO
JWinteriors
Money is no object, right? I would paint the walls a mid tone gray...change the island countertop to black granite that extends out farther to be able to have black counter stools. I would tap into the center light fixture and install pendant lights with black finish over the island, same over the sink. I would replace wooden spindles with black iron spindles and mount a black TV over the fireplace. Add window treatments gray/white design that were 95" tall instead of the 84" panels. Add bamboo roman shades on windows. Add art that had black frames. Put area rug under seating area. Put lamps so that all corners of room are lit at night time.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:00PM
nmpettit
I agree that painting the island would be a great contrast, but hatibg the fence in the middle of living area, and for paint color i luv the soft pale hues that are trending right now,and you would have y
to paint the entire space whatever color u choose
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:21PM
charleee
This is a similar kitchen setup to what you have, maybe you could find inspiration here? [houzz=
]
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 1:47AM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
The code for Benjamin Moore Thunder is AF-685
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 6:30AM
PRO
Eagledzines
You have a great space.

Gray is trendy right now but Primitive Country isn't trendy but I wouldn't worry about the trend. Go with what you like. If you plan on selling right away, don't go Primitive Country. If you plan on selling 5 or 10 years from now, come back to Houzz to find out what the current trends are in five or ten years. Then hire a professional 'stager' who will come in and give you ideas to make your house more desirable for a buyer.

If your cabinets are Oak (they look like it), I would stay away from yellow and orange hues. The wood will turn more orange as it ages. Here are the color samples from Old Village Paints. These go with Primitive Country style very well.
Oil and latex colors: http://www.old-village.com/ov_paint_colours.html
Buttermilk flat sheen colors: http://www.old-village.com/prod_buttermilk.html

For your style, I would keep the railing. If you wanted a different color for the island, choose one that is complementary to the the wall paint. A crackle finish on the island would be complimentary to the period you are looking for but make sure you seal it well if you do that because the crackle finish needs extra protection. ONLY put it on the back as the front facing the kitchen will get more abuse.

For knobs, you can download a pdf version of the Richelieu catalogue of knobs here: They have a good selection of different period knobs and pulls. http://www.richelieu.com/brochures/brochure.php?page=1&id=1000673&lang=An
Below are a few thoughts for knobs, depending on the colors you pick

I would suggest a very small valance over the window. Put some drop lighting over the island and under-cabinet lighting in, hardwired on a dimmer. Primitive colors are more dull, you will need a lot of light. Also, don't put up a crown. Keep it simple. Put some primitive style lamps -- maybe two, one on each side or two together, one larger than the other, on the hutch area beyond the island.

If you could afford it, I would recommend changing the island top to wood. Here are some wood samples: http://www.craft-art.com/wood-species/

I'd use window treatments like this:
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:22AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put up some Shutters on that window.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:28AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
The cabinets are very gold so I would stay away from tans and beige. Yes paint the mantel in a soft black, no sheen and if you can rub out the edges and add pumice it will give it a more rustic look. Paint the walls a color that compliments all the gold tones like this photo...
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 10:37AM
butterflymahm
Thank you all for your advice. What do you think of an olive green? To dark for kitchen?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:26AM
charleee
Behr makes an olive green paint that isn't too dark, I think it's called dusty olilve.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:56AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
yes olive would be great!
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 12:04PM
butterflymahm
Thanks bunches :) If I go with shutters or blinds would the wood tones look better or the white pvc?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
exterior help
I am leaning more towards certainteed 's granite gray...
New Home Floor plan Advice
We are building a new home, and hopeful that this will...
Divine White SW a good trim/molding color?
We are in process of building and have a lot of trim....
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
New layout
Working on my site http://getplusfollowers.com what...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.