Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help,I need ideas on how to cover-up,hide the range hood ducting
Debbie Simmons
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The (really bad) contractor that flipped our house before we bought it,left us with this mess.We were not aware of the problem until a couple of days ago because he had hidden it behind cheap plastic board.And due to the fact that the "box" he fabricated was bowed in,it drove me crazy.And when I got up there to see why...this is what I found.I just can't put it back like that.This is our first home and I want it right.Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleee
You don't live in Northern California, do you? Our flipper wasn't good either, just wondering if we had the same one.

I'm assuming you have cabinet doors since I see hinges and you're looking for something to cover the mess above the cabinets. To do this as inexpensively as possible, I would get a piece of finish grade plywood cut to size, stain to match cabs (or paint to match walls) and put some decorative molding around it. I really like your backsplash, it's different. Did you do that yourselves?
January 20, 2013 at 2:07AM   
Debbie Simmons
Thank you.I think if I do it properly that your suggestion will work great.And yes I did my own back splash.The tiles are by Jeffrey Court.I found them at home depot.
January 20, 2013 at 2:16AM     
gingerclaire
How easy is it to access the roofspace above?
January 20, 2013 at 2:16AM   
Debbie Simmons
...and yes northern california. (Suisun City) The contractors license has since been suspended.Why I don't but I have about two pages of things we've corrected in this last year,ranging from paint peeling,grout crumbleing,to a window almost falling out of the upstairs guest bath.But I truely LOVE my house.
January 20, 2013 at 2:24AM     
Debbie Simmons
We only have access to over the garage and limited to the upstairs roofspace.No access to the main area downstairs.The house had been in a fire so when he remodeled he "forgot" to leave an access .Recently we found that some of the frame still had charred spots.And occasionally we will smell a slight odor from the fire remains.
January 20, 2013 at 2:36AM   
gingerclaire
I think improving the boxing in would be the neatest option, but an alternative, depending on how much you feel you need the extraction above the hob would be to convert the hob hood into a recirculation system (most European models come with filters so you can do this). You could fit a good quiet high-performance extractor elsewhere in the kitchen venting onto an outside wall to deal with cooking fumes and then tidy up the hole in the ceiling left by the extractor.
January 20, 2013 at 3:17AM   
gingerclaire
If you had better roof-space access, I would have suggested directing the extractor vent directly upwards and using a standard stainless steel cowling to cover the tube. Extractors work better the fewer corners the air has to go around! You could then move stuff around in the roof-space to make it work.
January 20, 2013 at 3:19AM   
hotrod396
Id build something the with of your doors! what do you have above 16inches or more?? if you can find some to cut 3 piece that high & wide you can tack it together and let it sit there...stain it or paint the color of your wall there....if you stain it take 1 door down to lowes and match color then grab a can of paste wax and add 3 coat & buff it out real good and most can't tell that it wan't sprayed...that looks like maple cabinets to me..hope thats some of help..
January 20, 2013 at 3:57AM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It seems to me that since you do not have a soffit you could build one. Many if not most kitchens have them above the upper cabinets. This woulds also give you the opportunity to add can lighting around the room (that is if you don't have them). I can't tell by the picture but if all the cabinets are like this it would be a good thing. I hate having my upper cabinets with open tops it just gets dirty up there. I hate cleaning.
January 20, 2013 at 4:14AM     
PRO
Home Preppers
Get rid of it and get a new hood that circulates the air.
January 20, 2013 at 4:24AM   
hotrod396
OR totally hide it like this one i did, that duct can be moved over.
dose it go out the roof? or box it in like this other pic.LOTS of ways to keep that hood & not spend more money.well really you would spend it either way..
January 21, 2013 at 6:31AM   
PRO
Linda
Given that there are two holes in the top of the cabinet, I imagine the installer was planning to go straight up with the duct work but found an obstruction in the way. I can't imagine the original person would have put that bend in the pipe just because he wanted to

I would build a box over the cabinet tops to hide the ductwork
January 21, 2013 at 6:39AM     
charleee
Linda, that's a good point!....Bobbi
January 21, 2013 at 6:40AM   
soberg
Ducts for hood vents should run as straight as possible. Every turn increases turbulence and noise and reduces throughput. The transition of circular cross section to a rectangular hole in the ceiling is also questionable and ugly as sin. Seems there is also some sort of wire tacked to the wall nearby?? This installation may not meet the vent hood manufacturer's specs or the building code. (Worst case, it may not even vent outdoors!) I'd get a quote on what it would take to route the duct correctly.

Once the functional and code issues are corrected, the top can be patched in a simple manner as it is not visible normally. Then you just need oak doors or an oak panel to cover up the whole shebang or hopefully help dim the memory of what you've seen.

Given this appallingly shoddy work, I'm wondering what else has been done wrong that is harder to detect. I would consider having a very thorough inspection done. I'd also speak to a lawyer about possible recourse against your builder. A good real estate lawyer can let you know whether the flipper can be pursued legally and whether it makes sense. Please don't assume that it's not worth it or not possible; investigate now to have a chance to protect your rights.

It's sellers like this who give flipping a bad name...it's the worst cliché. Shiny, trendy backsplash tiles and "quality" oak cabinets to distract the eye from the wretched work behind them. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the tiles...
February 11, 2014 at 2:27PM   
soberg
I just read more carefully and saw that some of your framing still has char marks??!! And you have lingering smoke odor?^%$(#!!! Has this house been inspected and does it have an occupancy permit? Do you have a mortgage and homeowner's insurance and do those parties know the house's history? Do you know what caused the fire and do you know whether any similar root cause may still be present?
February 11, 2014 at 2:34PM   
PRO
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Try this extend the cabinet to the top of the ceiling using the same cabinet finish and the length of both cabinets. take the same material inside the cabinet and create a box to cover remaining vent. Cover the mess with your existing doors.
February 11, 2014 at 2:49PM     
PRO
Everything Beautiful Home Designs LLC
Sometimes I draw before I read everything sorry. Have the contractor come back a do it right .this is unacceptable . At worst he needs to get new cabinets all the way to the top. At best he needs to get rid of this mess an install a hood vent.
February 11, 2014 at 2:58PM   
Stef
This is a picture of my cabinets after the remodel, I think you should be able to match or do a fun compliment cabinet, take it up to the ceiling height and bump it out.
February 11, 2014 at 3:08PM     
Stef
PS I HATE my glass top stove. Our summer project is putting a natural gas pipe to the kitchen for a new gas range!!
February 11, 2014 at 3:09PM   
PRO
GN Builders L.L.C
I don't know what the budget is, but if you looking to keep what you have there, you can build up cabinet with same material, put the crown against the ceiling and run a molding down the middle to break up the span with a decorative medallion in the center which is easy to get and it don't have to match the cabinet.
That is if your ceiling height 8' and you have 30" cabinets. If the cabinets are 36" then all you do is build up the cabinet and do the crown, without middle trim. Take a look at the image that is if your cabinets are 30" with 8' ceiling.
February 11, 2014 at 6:46PM   
Robert Mechling
You can install a 1/4 inch panel to hide the holes cut in the top of cabinet. Then build a 3-sided box to hide the ductwork. With the two 45° couplings, the ducting should work fine. Don't recommend ductless hoods if you cook a lot.
February 11, 2014 at 7:15PM   
PRO
Shuler Architecture
I usually put the hood ductwork inside of an enclosure that runs to the ceiling. In your case, you can allow this enclosure to run to the ceiling on its own and leave the space above the cabinets open or have a panel made up that encloses this area as well. Any cabinet shop can help you with all of this. See this image to get an idea of how this can look.

February 11, 2014 at 7:54PM