powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom challenge: bedding, lighting, paint. Need help!
Blue
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I didn't realize how barren this room looks until I saw a picture. What can save this space? Bedding must change. Also need lighting and possibly a ceiling light too. What color paint will make this custom bed pop out as it was designed? Bed designer picked out the attached paints. BM Kendall Charcoal for wall behind bed, Chelsea Gray for all other walls, and revere pewter for master bath
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Did you not like what your designer choose or are you second guessing her? The bed looks great and it seems that the color selections will also. I guarantee you that you will get a different opinion from everyone. I'm sure that in your designers mind is a picture of your finished room exactly as you will like it. So unless you have had a falling out with your designer I would stick with their vision.
January 20, 2013 at 6:12AM   
Blue
I love what he picked, but I'm scared because it is so dark. I am afraid it will look like a cave. I don't have the vision he does and cannot "see" this finished because I have no idea about the right bedding. Thanks so much for commenting!
January 20, 2013 at 6:21AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If it is (but I doubt it will be) it is only paint. Talk to him about your concerns. Possibly he could start with one wall in one coat. That way you can easily have him change his vision to fit yours.
January 20, 2013 at 9:04AM     
Jayme H.
I think those colors are great for the walls...then some new bedding and it is going to look really nice I think...Are u keeping the same pics on the wall?
January 20, 2013 at 9:25AM   
beverlynn
The wall/bed colors are fine! Choose a colorful bedding set and curtains with the same color/shades as the bedding. Also, add two lamps; either with colorful bases or colorful lampshades. Shop around; you'll know it when you see it!
January 20, 2013 at 9:27AM   
Jayme H.
Here are pics of a few completed grey bedrooms:your look may be a little more modern than these. Once a room is all pulled together it makes a big difference.
January 20, 2013 at 9:33AM     
Jayme H.
I think these are a bit darker wall colors.
January 20, 2013 at 9:42AM     
Blue
Thanks, great comments. Art can be moved as needed. Ideas on bedding? Print? Texture? Color? I thought that as a neutral anything would work, but both designers tell me I have to lean toward greens not blues for colors. Deep red looks stunning, but I haven't found anything with that color except for vintage glass.
January 20, 2013 at 1:16PM   
Jayme H.
I am not there to see the whole picture, so would hate to lead you astray in sny way...however...Wondering if they mean green tones, not necessarily GREEN itself? Are u keeping that area rug? Many color come from the green-toned family but are not green as we think of the color green.
January 20, 2013 at 3:39PM   
decoenthusiaste
Look at this one - even the floor is charcoal and it is beautiful. Go with your designer's vision.

January 20, 2013 at 3:44PM     
PRO
Modern Age Designs, LLC
Go with your Designers vision, all the way. Bedding can be crisp white with accent pillows in your favorite colors that will bring in a pop of color in art work and drapes. Stationary panels - just enough to make it soft and not so over powering as you think it would look. Once its completed - it will be your favorite room.
For lighting I would have a beautiful chandelier and possibly matching sconces on either side of the bed.
I would change out the rug. Replace it with a plush shag rug that goes under the bed to have something soft to step on when you get off bed on both sides,

I would center the bed a bit and have mirrored night stands on either side. The one I have attached is not bulky and will not take up visual space. Once you center the bed in the room - you can probably accommodate a a nice cozy chair. The chair I am suggesting has other color options as well at Wayfair.com - But I think the one I'm suggesting brings in a pop of color.

You can use throw pillows in that orange, lime green, yellow to make it a cheerful space.
January 20, 2013 at 4:54PM     
Blue
Jayme, I think you're right about the green TONE vs color. I'm not sure if that was a result of the rug or what. But that's where I get lost.
Love all suggestions. I like the idea of a chandelier and matching sconces too.
I was hoping to stay away from white bedding (I sleep better in dark colors) but will go with it if there is no other choice.
January 20, 2013 at 5:09PM     
Jayme H.
By all means, don't go with light if u want dark...i wouldn't. Your color r so neutral u can go with the dark bedding too...wanted to show a pulled together room with color on the walls...it looks so much different doesn't it?
January 20, 2013 at 5:11PM     
Lkristine
Seems like you are getting plenty of play it safe ideas, which, there is nothing wrong with that. However, here is another option......that might look great with everything you have so far. Including your beautiful and unique art. Your wall colors and headboard are beautiful. http://www.ebay.com/itm/3pc-Red-Lime-White-Black-Poppy-Design-300TC-Cotton-Sateen-Duvet-Set-Queen-King-/390475503716?pt=US_Duvet_Covers&var=660091882571&hash=item5aea275864
January 20, 2013 at 5:18PM     
Jayme H.
Blue...go onto Houzz or google "grey rooms"....look at all of those pics...u will be amazed. Color is affected by many things, including what it reflects off of. I remember learning that color was actually all about how light reflected...cannot remember where I learned that. (Prob. NOT nursing school..ha ha!!)...Light has everything to do with it and/or what it reflects off of, etc. That's where the experts come in....although we can learn it ourselves, it is their trade. We don't have to like or agree, but then just communicate what it is that your goal is, and what look u want. It may not work with your carpet, lighting, etc. Again...u have a wonderful start, a lovely home...u can do it!
January 20, 2013 at 5:35PM     
Blue
I can't thank you guys enough! You've given me confidence to move forward and new ideas that I will start moving toward. I don't know why I never thought of it before, but searching for grey rooms let me see other color combos that I hadn't considered. So thanks a million. I think I'm leaning toward reds or reddish orange as a main accent. Maybe even bedding.
January 21, 2013 at 9:24AM     
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi Blue. Just saw this thread. Any updates on this room? LOVE the bed.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 28, 2013 at 8:32AM   
Blue
Thanks Lyvonne! I spent the weekend looking at deep Red bedding. I want to get an idea of how that would look with the wall colors. If it turns the whole room too dark, I may have to go to white bedding, but I've found I sleep so much better with dark sheets and bedding (nothing for light to reflect off of).
I'll keep you posted. Any thoughts on how red, fluffy bedding would look with the paint samples?
January 28, 2013 at 9:48AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
You need some funky decorative throw pillows on that bed.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com
January 28, 2013 at 10:07AM     
Blue
@ModernAge - I neglected to respond to your comment about centering. I can't center the bed. The entrance to the room is set on a weird angle, giving the room 5 walls instead of 4. Centering the bed means opening the door right on top of the bed. It was too close for comfort.
I may have to do something about that rug as you suggest. Thanks for the great ideas!
January 28, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Blue
funky pillows...now we're talking! I'm on it!
January 28, 2013 at 10:11AM   
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all!

Blue - Red can work in a grey room. I have a few suggestions/ideas:

1) get samples of the paint chips and paint a foam board w/the colors and then place around the room and next to the bed at different times of day to see how you like them. See this Real Simple article -- http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/home-improvement/painting/choosing-right-paint-color-10000000677511/index.html

2) see if you can find cheap bedding in the color you're thinking about to see how you like it b/f choosing your final quality bedding.

3) think about a red fluffy rug under the bed instead of red bedding & add some red accent pillows

4) it looks like you've got some great art. Maybe think about a choosing a large piece for above the bed and working off the colors in that piece.

Anyway, those are just a few ideas. I'm sure you'll get lots more!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
January 29, 2013 at 5:39PM