Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help for fireplace eyesore in awkward living room
bvibaby
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Trying to rescue this fireplace from itself (along with our whole living room). Want to mount tv above fireplace but not sure how to store components(DVD, cable box). Pretty sure we will be repainting, but what color? White? Tan? Something else? We do use the fireplace at times. We are going for a very bright open, beachy feel to the room since the house is very small. This will the first step to letting me re do the layout of the rest of the room.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Barb Drenth
You could cover the brick with a wide vertical barn board and a whitewash finish. Maybe build out the front to create storage.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 6:38AM
pivoines
Well you have a problem, What I would do , is ,drywall the whole thing, That would permit you to get electrical hidden behind it for your television and its components. Clear the whole brick area (shelf and all), readjust the air vents and paint the whole drywall the color of your wall. I would spray paint the brass on the fireplace with black BBQ spray paint, or, remove it altogether if you can, it makes the fireplace look even bulkier, don't put a mantel per say,but, add a large shelf the width of the fireplace, that will hold the components for the TV.Don't clutter it with lots of small pictures. Use your other walls to make a larger arrangements of all those frames together. You also seem to use very small,picture / art, on big walls,and place them way too high, they should be at straight eye level. your eyes looking at the middle of the picture if in a hall or about 6-10 inch above a couch, chair etc...and proportionate to the size of the wall. I think it will look fine once its done. go for it .
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 6:42AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Is that a fireplace or a wood stove? This is important being they give off different amounts of heat.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 6:44AM
mlondon17
I think white washing the brick would keep the earthy beachy feel- i love brick fireplaces so I'd have a hard time putting drywall over it. although i do agree with painting the brass a diff color and de-cluttering the small pics.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 6:54AM
bvibaby
It is a wood burning insert with blowers- I'm not sure if that's considered a stove or not but it gives off a lot of heat! I have to make my husband put the fire out most nights because even with our a/c fan on circulate the living room will get over 85 degrees sometimes.
Thanks for the suggestions do far- we have talked about dry walling it, it's taken me 5 years to convince my husband to paint it, drywall may take another 5, lol.
Anyone have suggestions for the slate?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 6:55AM
cyn222
Paint the brick an off white color and remove mantel. It will look more modern. TV can be installed over fireplace but I would suggest placing it somewhere else and redoing seating arrangement.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:02AM
mlondon17
I agree with cyn222. painting it the off white would be beautiful. I think you should keep a mantel- one the same width as the FP. I think off white would go well with that beautiful blue hutch. With just a few beautifully simply arranged pics and a vase. If your up for it you could even paint the inside of the hutch same off white as the FP- OR put a mantel of the same wood to tie them together. I agree that perhaps rearranging furniture and placing the tv off to the right side would work well. the couch sitting with its back to the FP should be turned/moved so that the furniture is facing the FP- also- not sure if your into this or not but i was told you shouldn't have the back of your couch facing the entry of a room. It's more welcoming and flowing to have your seat facing the entry- and your FP!
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 9:18PM