powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen hardware - can I modernize traditional cabinets?
houstonpicky
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Got some great advice yesterday on kitchen lighting, and a couple of folks suggested I could improve the look of the cabinets by changing the hardware. Our style is more modern but we are stuck with traditional cabinets.
What type of hardware would work? Really appreciate your ideas!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
I'm not sure what they meant. Go back & ask. The hardware looks good & is in the style of the cabinetry. Introduce abstract art into the space for a modern vibe.
January 22, 2013 at 9:09PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Personally I think the hardware looks fine since it's works with the traditional style cabinets. If you replace them with more streamlined designs it would make the kitchen feel more updated.

January 23, 2013 at 6:39AM     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would leave the cabinet hardware alone and find other ways to modernize your kitchen. I like olldj22's idea of a piece of abstract art. You could also update that clock on the wall. Actually, a splashy splash and/or accent wall could enliven the space.
January 23, 2013 at 6:51AM     
bdlek
Why not try it - you will be limited by the drill holes on the pulls, but just bring some options home and see what you think. I love an eclectic look myself.
January 23, 2013 at 6:52AM     
PRO
Michelle Yaworski – Gem Cabinets Ltd
Hardware can make a huge difference! It can easily soften and warm the clean cut lines of a modern door style, or make something so rustic a bit more modern. It may be tough depending on the hole size, but why not look around? I do agree though with olldj22, you could probably get more bang for your buck by bringing in other modern elements into the space. A nice table with some funky chairs, art on the wall, bold colored appliances on the countertop, maybe some accent pendant lights!
January 23, 2013 at 7:03AM   
DIAspoton
try several contemporary hardware styles. sleek, clean lines. maybe square,polished chrome knobs? fresh flowers in edgier containers. even a simple square or rectangular vase with white calla lillies or bright birds of paradise would go a long way in modernizing the feel. industrial pendant lighting and bold scatter rugs.
January 23, 2013 at 8:22AM   
feeny
I love your current hardware and feel it looks great with your cabinets.
January 23, 2013 at 8:30AM   
ebehrins11
I would change the hardware so more of a brass rounded shape because you can't let the older look really clash with the modern
January 23, 2013 at 8:41AM   
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I wouldn't change the hardware with such a tradional door style. The bar pulls are the most popular for a contemporary look but I feel they would not work in your space. You may be able to get by with something like this. I would try one before I bought a bunch of anything.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Stone-Mill-Hardware-Providence-Satin-Nickel-Cabinet-Pulls-Case-of-25/6428015/product.html
January 23, 2013 at 9:02AM   
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
I vote for changing the hardware for a more contemporary look. I love the hardware in photo of the white kitchen that Dytecture posted above.
January 23, 2013 at 9:19AM     
houstonpicky
Here are some more shots of the kitchen. It is open to the breakfast area and living room beyond the stairs. Walls are pale grey, am about to get cabinets and trim finished in white. There isn't much wall space for artwork and I want to keep things fairly cool and clean. The adjacent dining room has color, so there is some interest around.
I like this hardware style

Really appreciate your thoughts and ideas!
January 23, 2013 at 12:57PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I think that the hardware you are showing us is transitional enough for you to use in your kitchen. The fact that your breakfast chandelier and table and chairs have a modern vibe will help bridge any design gap that might exist.
January 23, 2013 at 2:17PM     
TanCalGal
I'd like the cabinets better white, too. The new hardware is nice.

How about adding additional red glass to (what appears to be) the red glass on window sill above sink. Additional red glass will make a focal paint and add some additional color. Even clear glass marching along the sill would add interest. Morph Vase
Wall clock could be lowered a bit and looks lonely. How about buying 2 more of the same clocks and staggering them vertically : one under wall switch and one under wall outlet about 12" from floor. Have them set to times that R meaningful to U. In USA: East-West-Central or European / Asian times. Inverness
January 23, 2013 at 4:12PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.