Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
kitchen and adjoining family room
amikanna
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Started to add black furniture pieces to my kitchen. Added red accents and french photos. Need help with wall color, flooring, window treatments. Also need the same for the family room. Open to all suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
With all those wonderful windows and the light they bring leave them bare. If you need privacy do a inside mount shade. A roman shade would work so would a duet or that type thing. Please take down those balloon things on the windows in the living room. They really detract from the beauty of the windows.
January 20, 2013 at 8:20AM     
Sharyn
Very pretty rooms - cozy and warm. Wood flooring would look very nice. Perhaps update the family room tables. Maybe a warm light yellow with brown undertones on the walls.
January 21, 2013 at 7:19AM   
skappes
Painting the patio doors black would tie them with your other black accents nicely.
January 21, 2013 at 7:30AM     
22jenca
I would paint out the wood on the window trim, perhaps the same colour as the walls. There are too many shapes competing for attention in the room and that would help tone them down and bring the focus back to the lovely furniture. What colour is the unholstery on your chairs?
January 21, 2013 at 7:42AM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
Do you need privacy or not? You could use a fun valance in the kitchen with woven wood shades underneath. Do the family room doors open inward? I'd consider panels on those doors and the side window.
Oh--and can you move your trash can next to the island?
January 21, 2013 at 8:09AM   
amikanna
I am ok with out privacy. I am more concerned about the sun fading the fabric on my furniture .
Only one door opens, the middle door and it opens inward. I like the idea of side panels. What kind of panel would you suggest.? Will try garbage can by island. Thank you for comments.
January 21, 2013 at 11:03AM   
amikanna
Ok I moved my garbage can, and you are so right on that. It really opened up the area. Thank you very much.
January 21, 2013 at 11:30AM   
claudiann
I think it looks wonderful as is. Don't think you should change anything.
January 21, 2013 at 1:37PM   
decoenthusiaste
Search in the box above for black kitchen under photos. I'd be very tempted... Check out the site, rustoleumtransformations.com to see what can be done. Then go to Country Curtains and check out their Buffalo Check curtains that come in red, black or gold - any of them would look great with your furniture. Their valances, tiers, and rod pocket styles could really pull your spaces together!
January 21, 2013 at 1:48PM   
roamrose
Beautiful table and chairs, where did u buy them?
January 21, 2013 at 4:01PM   
amikanna
Craigslist
January 21, 2013 at 4:06PM   
amikanna
Thank you so much for the compliment.
January 21, 2013 at 4:24PM   
amikanna
the fabric on chairs is a light tan and off white small check
January 22, 2013 at 6:17AM   
amikanna
I have seen these curtains in the Country Curtains Catalog and really like them. Can't decide on which color to go with. Should I put curtains on the patio door?
January 22, 2013 at 6:24AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
what a score on your table and chairs! Lucky you. Sorry, I don't particularly care for the red/white check. TOO country looking IMHO.
What is to the right of the doors?
January 22, 2013 at 6:29AM   
amikanna
see picture. Door to laundry room and also goes into garage.
January 22, 2013 at 7:32AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Are you considering woven wood shades? Or something similar? I'd put those on the doors and possible side panels if you have room. -You can do similar in the other room too. Shades and side panels for color.
January 22, 2013 at 8:44AM   
amikanna
I like wood shades. I will have to measure and see what I can do. Thank you again.
January 22, 2013 at 10:18AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Let us know what you do!
January 22, 2013 at 1:02PM   
PRO
All About Interiors LLC
Hi I think Benjamin Moore color STRAW would be the perfect shade for your room and would go so well with the red and black accents. I definately would put either Roman shades in a pretty fabric on those windows or some woven weave shades with a valance above, if you need privacy and if you don't, possibly a really nice drapery with some decorative hardware above. I think the floor should be changed to hardwood flooring which would warm up the space and also bring added value to your home. Some new coffee and occasional tables would update the space as well. Good luck and let me know how it comes out.
January 22, 2013 at 2:26PM   
835burrow
Bet you love looking out the windows! I was glad to see your black dining set as I have been thinking of painting my vintage Chippendale black... so far I'm lacking nerve!

I would try taking away the small rugs and adding one fun, perhaps colorful one under the table...something that brings in the gold/red/black....kind of contemporary as a surprise to your "country soul". (I found a 7x9 at Walmart for under $30!)

On the buffet, try using two matching buffet lamps instead of the one lamp. Red shades would be fun. As for wall color, you have a lot of "gold" going on in your floor...so I'd suggest "playing to it" instead of trying to ignore it...try your hand finding a complimentary color of gold for the walls. LIghter than the floors, but still sufficiently dark/rich...you might be able to use the background color from the family room balloons. You have plenty of light to handle dark colors. I am sure you would hate to paint the woodwork, but I would...or first...see if the wall paint makes the woodwork blend in. I'd leave the windows open. By the time your fabric fades, you will probably be ready for a change!

As for the family room....I'd wait to see what the gold does on the walls in the dining area and if I liked it....I'd go just a few shades lighter for that room.
January 22, 2013 at 3:09PM   
amikanna
See updated picture, put 2 lamps with red shades on buffet. Thank you so much for your ideas. I will check into paint colors. One of these days the floor will be replaced with wood.
January 22, 2013 at 4:11PM   
amikanna
When I bought the kitchen set it was a cream color I painted it black., which turned into more work than I thought it would. It was so worth all the work.
January 22, 2013 at 4:18PM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Where's the picture? I don't see it?
January 23, 2013 at 8:19AM   
decoenthusiaste
Yes, put them anywhere - the only thing I don't like is that they are not 100% cotton. They do have one other Buffalo Check that is cotton, but colors are beige, green and blue - not my favorites, and they don't have as many valance styles.
January 23, 2013 at 8:35AM   
835burrow
That was fast...you must have had the lamps just sitting somewhere else! I saw the photo when you first posted, but don't see it now. Anxious to see what color you pick for the walls. You might also like that big clock over the buffet and then try putting the big mirror over in that dark spot to the right...going down a hallway? If it just happens to be close to an entrance, you can use it to check your lipstick when going out, lol! So much more fun to comment on someone else's house than making decisions on my own!
January 23, 2013 at 10:00AM   
amikanna
I am having trouble posting this picture. I will keep trying.
January 23, 2013 at 12:08PM   
amikanna
Also sending picture of buffet with 2 small lamps. Hope you get these.
January 23, 2013 at 12:12PM     
alisonheppell
Think red dramatic drapes would be great
January 23, 2013 at 3:41PM   
PRO
Studio Homes
my first instinct is too stop adding warm shades so the warm shades(trim and cabinets ) become accents...so I would use a light silvery grey on all the walls.....and also I wouldnt hesitate for a minute to paint the fireplace an off white(cool toned).....mantle in a dark espresso.

but thats just my quick thoughts.
January 23, 2013 at 3:56PM   
amikanna
interesting......never thought of painting the walls grey. I am so with you on painting the fireplace.
Thanks 4 ur tips.
January 23, 2013 at 4:42PM   
PRO
Studio Homes
honestly i just noticed your few little red accents and nothing brings those out better than grey....I think it would be beautiful.
January 23, 2013 at 4:48PM   
loiswaller
I would paint the window frames all white, black furniture is good but I would keep the windows light and bright, and the combined wood/white combination you have now looks a bit dated. Those kitchen cabinets would also look great painted white with some new handles in black or stainless steel.
January 23, 2013 at 4:58PM     
mariannekerr
I have been looking for those sliding doors everywhere. Did you purchase them or have them made?
January 23, 2013 at 5:22PM   
PRO
Studio Homes
i agree with loiswaller about trim and cabinets i a white...but i was afraid to say so....soooooo much work!!
January 23, 2013 at 5:25PM     
loiswaller
yes, a lot of work to paint the cabinets, I am about to embark on something similar with my own kitchen...
January 23, 2013 at 5:35PM   
amikanna
They are not sliding doors. open inward. Came with the house.
January 23, 2013 at 5:42PM     
mariannekerr
I'm going to have some made, they are just what I want
January 23, 2013 at 6:52PM   
mhj1263
I think a nice warm golden color would accent your wood color as well as enhance the reds and blacks. I did something similar
In my kitchen/dining area and friends have commented on the warmth of the space.
January 27, 2013 at 9:09AM   
mhj1263
If u can, u could also Chang out the flooring ....a nice tile would be good, but there r nice laminates that give a similar feel.
January 27, 2013 at 9:10AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.