Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Size of TV over fireplace
kmhbt
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I realize there is always debate about the TV over the fireplace but we really don't mind the location. Unfortunately though our TV just broke so we are in the market for a new one. My question is, should I get another 60" like I have now or a 65"? I outlined the current TV in blue tape to show the dimensions of the 65". My concern is that maybe it would be too big and may overwhelm the space. I would love any opinions -- just please don't tell me that I should put it somewhere else in the room ;)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcbride2304
Very little difference between the 2
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:22AM
lefty47
HI - Your OK with either as long as the TV is not wider than the mantel. If you had an over mantel built , it could be one that hides the TV . Lots of ideas on Houzz for that .
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 10:31AM
kmhbt
I thought the same thing after I posted the pics :). In reality it's about 3-3 1/2" on each side bigger. I've just gotten such great guidance here in the past so I thought I'd see what the consensus was.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:33AM
kmhbt
I will definitely search for an "over mantel": I'm not sure what that is but it sounds like an ideas worth exploring. I was thinking at some point of adding trim pieces to the sides and if I did, the smaller TV may allow more room for trim. Of course my husband is of the mind that the bigger the TV the better ;)
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:35AM
victorianbungalowranch
I am probably in the minority, but I think the existing TV is a better size and if anything is a bit too big--it would look more in proportion if it isn't wider than the tile surround for the fireplace, and better if it is a bit narrower.

3 1/2 inches bigger around may not seem like a lot, but it is a big black box and is visually very heavy over your fireplace. The overmantel could help tie it in a bit, but it would still contrast with the black, emphasizing its size.

Bigger TVs also require a longer viewing distance, especially up so high.
2 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:49AM
calikym
Bigger one for sure.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:56AM
kmhbt
Thank you everyone. I know it seems minor, but I really do appreciate the input.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 11:59AM
kmhbt
My next question would be, if I frame around it (like the "Project In Tiburon"), what paint color would I use? I love the greenish gray they chose but with my granite around the fireplace being beige I don't think it would look right.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 12:47PM
candyweaver
For looks and proportion, do not have your tv wider than the tile or granite around the fireplace opening.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 1:28PM
kmhbt
Hmmm...well the current one is the same size as the tile (maybe just slightly over).
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 1:33PM
kmhbt
Is there anything I can do to make it look right?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 1:34PM
andrew778
Bigger is always better in regards to tv's. You will never regret moving up.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 1:38PM
sderico
Have you considered painting that wall a darker color so the TV doesn't overwhelm the space?
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Island hood: glass or no glass
I am remodeling my kitchen and adding a raised counter...
Clyia Coaxum
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
paint rooms to put home on market or leave alone?
I will be putting a home I have owned slightly over...
dfmcminn
eliot wood table by cattelan or baron table by calligaris
I can't decide which kitchen table I should choose. There...
msburza
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.