Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need color advice to paint open floor plan spec home
9meesh9
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We moved into a spec home 2 years ago and are ready to add personality and warmth by painting the beige walls. The current neutral color scheme is boring and not matching my cozy bohemian, arts&crafts, eclectic, colorful soul! Please help with suggestions that will make our spec house more like a "home".

I've included pics of the first floor, including shots taken from the 2nd floor, to give a sense of layout and current furniture. Looking forward to receiving advice!

Pics below: 1) entryway, taken from open living area. Stairs are to the left, kitchen is to the right. 2) standing in the entryway facing the door, study with double glass doors to the left, and 3) open diNing room to the right. 4) dining room, taken from study directly cross from it. (More pics coming)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
9meesh9
5) dining room wall that faces entry way. 6) view from the front door, with DR on left and study on right. 7) study (maybe could be a chestnut brown color, or warm blue if there is such a thing??? 8) at the edge of the entry way, walking past DR and office.... Mud room on right and then stairs also on right lead up. Kitchen left opens to LR on right.
January 20, 2013 at 8:22AM   
9meesh9
these are views of the kitchen as you walk further away from the entry way. The last pic is from the kitchen, looking at the LR and stairs leading up.
January 20, 2013 at 8:26AM   
9meesh9
Living room shots, from kitchen. You can see a powder room under the stairs, and you can't see that the master BR is across from the powder room behind the LR.
January 20, 2013 at 8:29AM   
9meesh9
Views from upstairs of LR and kitchen. Also a close up of kitchen granite.
January 20, 2013 at 8:42AM   
decoenthusiaste
Except for the colorful painting above the FP, I don't see much evidence of your bohemian soul. I would suggest you relegate the bohemian to your bedroom/bath and keep with your A&C theme in the living area. That may require changing light fixtures, and finding a paint company that has an A&C paint palette already pre-planned for you to select from. Visit the local Ben Moore and Sherwin Wms stores and ask for such a palette. Search here for lighting, and check out A&C Ideabooks. A quick search for bohemian will give you some inspiration too. One way to blend the two is shown below.
surfers end kitchen
Diego Perez
January 20, 2013 at 8:56AM     
9meesh9
Alas, No evidence indeed, which is why i need color! I font think i realized until posting the pics just HOW lacking our current design is :(
Thanks for the A&C palette advice. I'll look at these retailers to see what they may have.
January 20, 2013 at 9:05AM   
Lady Von
First of all, you have a beautiful home. If you are looking for a more subtle paint tone for your home I would stay neutral. Just remember that neutral doesn't have to mean white and beige. Grays, browns, certain greens, blues, and yellows also classify as neutral. If your family's lifestyle and personality is very active and bubbly I would stay with the brown-, orange-, yellow- color families. Taupe (a grayish brown color) is a great non-white/beige neutral and it pairs well with every design style, furniture choice, and accent colors. My first thoughts were to add some bright warm tones to your walls--like a buttercream or pale orange. The pale orange might be a little overpowering for your entire house but it can be a great wall color if used correctly. And if you pair it with white decorative trim and your dark brown furniture it can really make the architectural details in your house pop. Orange tones work well with blue accents. Olive and fern paint tones will also compliment your furniture and cabinetry but these are more calming colors.

I've added some pictures below to give you some ideas. Just remember, orange doesn't have to mean pumpkin and blue doesn't have to mean navy. Find a color family that you like then experiment with different variations within that colorway. Sample "paint" pots are really cheap, about $2-5per and cover about 4 square feet.

Good luck!
January 20, 2013 at 9:29AM     
Harrut
Ladyvon
I love your lounge picture... such inviting colours that give good emotional vibes too.
Here is how I added colour to my Georgian chairs:- see picture !!!
In terms of your Bohemian vibe have you thought of painting your kitchen cabinets?
January 20, 2013 at 10:41AM     
Harrut
Hi
Here are a couple of photos which offer art interest to a room to give it a certain vibe and interest!
January 20, 2013 at 10:49AM   
9meesh9
Ladyvon, I LOVE the pics you've posted! I wouldn't have thought of oranges and blues, but can see how these could work. Thanks for taking time to share!
January 20, 2013 at 6:17PM   
Lady Von
9meesh9, you are so welcome. Another thing to consider is adding color and vibrancy to your home using a wider variety of artwork (like what Harrut has suggested), textiles (pillows, drapes, slipcovers and other linens), and accessories. Your windows are screaming for attention. *smile* Nice bold, over-scaled pattern drapes can really make your windows pop and draw people into your home. Target, Marshalls, Pier 1 Imports, Hobby Lobby, and thrift stores are great places to find cute/unique/affordable accessories that you can change out with the seasons. I would suggest buying quality drapes and area rugs however. But by keeping your walls neutral (not necessarily beige) your art collection, accessories and textiles become the "paint" on your canvas. Just another idea.
January 21, 2013 at 6:01AM     
PRO
CLAN INTERIOR DESIGN
Your home is stunning as very open so I can see why you would be worried about color.
Have you thought about introducing wood to some of your walls its very in and looks fantastic. I would have a ball styling your home a I would do some wall in wood some paint and are lots of big art pics. I would go for deep gray beach wood on the wall your television is on and also your fire. I would do the other walls duck egg blue and cream with big cream rug with a bold pattern in it.
Its a very large open space and I am a 100% in myself it will take it through the rest of the home into the kitchen add a wooden wall. and keep the color going just add pillows and ornaments to blend in around the house . As you come down the stairs and looking towards your front door I can see wood panels just as you have done on your main wall and also kitchen. Just on one side and the other duck egg blue and big cream framed art work about for pieces as long as they are big track lighting all the way down it will look fantastic boy I wish I lived in america I would love to see the outcome.
Well good luck and one more thing lighting is a massive deal get it wrong and it will not matter what color you have done look on houzz lighting then you will get it right. Jackie Perth Wa
March 16, 2014 at 10:25AM