powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What color for bottom of banister? White or black to match what we are doing on the top?
lackerez
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Primed right now and not sure which way to go. Old honey oak
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
feeny
What do you mean by "bottom of bannister"? Are you referring to the floor area that you have primed? Or do you mean the posts? If you mean the lower floor trim I'd probably choose white.
January 20, 2013 at 9:17am     
PRO
Dytecture
Here is a somewhat different approach with only painting the handrails black.

January 20, 2013 at 9:24am     
Manon Floreat
I like Dytecture's photo. The black handrail gives just a bit of crisp definition
January 20, 2013 at 9:31am     
pivoines
Dytecture has the right idea , it minimizes the old fashioned spindles and modernises the whole look .perfect! oh and make sure you do the whole staircase the same, if that was the question you were asking .
January 20, 2013 at 9:46am     
lackerez
Thanks for the help. The blue was the primer. We wondered on the bottom part.
January 20, 2013 at 4:52pm   
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I also like the black handrail and everything else white. I've also seen stair rails and banisters all black, but you'd need to have something else in your home to tie that in to.

My vote would be keep the black handrails.

Chrysteen
January 20, 2013 at 5:08pm   
Judy M
Black handrails, you can also paint the newel posts black if you'd like and leave the ballasters and bottom rail white. If you type "black handrail" in a seach under the photos section on this web site, you'll see lots of photos of black handrails to give you a visual. Some have the newel post painted as well as handrail, some don't.
January 20, 2013 at 5:11pm   
larry1333
Black. Another option could be dark brown?
January 20, 2013 at 5:34pm   
PRO
Signature Decor
I agree with handrail black.
Add a large area rug with black as the ground color to the entry. (Round would be very pretty.)
Move the beautiful starburst mirror to another location and use black & white photo/artwork or artwork in a traditional black frame in place of the mirror.
A wrought iron & glass pendant fixure in the foyer would look great.
January 20, 2013 at 5:50pm   
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would have them all the same. Keep it consistent.
January 20, 2013 at 5:58pm     
Judy M

In this photo the newel post is the same as yours. In the previous photo above it is a large square newel post. This way you can see the effect of both ideas
January 20, 2013 at 6:06pm     
olldtrazz
Post your results! I would love to see. I've been debating painting ours also.
January 20, 2013 at 6:09pm   
kmotr98
Can I ask how many steps you have prior to hitting the landing? We will have two prior to ours and I am trying to determine what it would look like with the railings......
January 20, 2013 at 6:12pm   
PRO
H.M.I Designs
white Picketts and a black handrail!
January 20, 2013 at 6:14pm     
ivanaknow
Black handrail is a great idea!!
January 20, 2013 at 6:15pm     
lackerez
Thanks again for the ideas. Love the pic Judy M that really helps. Martasweitz for the great idea on the round rug. We did just hang some black and white pics of Paris on the other side of the stairs maybe we will move them to the front.
There are two stairs before the landing.
January 20, 2013 at 7:40pm   
lackerez
Here we are in the middle of the project . Did white on one side and black on the other to see which we liked better.
I know many said to just do the handrails black the rest white but we wanted to do black banisters
Looking at the white vs black on the bottom we are leaning towards the black
Seems to tie in better with the carpet. Would love wood stairs but not in the cards right now
January 27, 2013 at 8:19am     
kimdee24
Just bumping so I can see the photos... I think I like the black base better. Seems more grounded to my eye.
January 27, 2013 at 8:22am   
honeyg911
I like the black, it looks more dramatic!
January 27, 2013 at 8:22am   
lackerez
Thanks I was trying to figure out how to post the new pictures from my Iphone correctly. We think black too but wanted someone else's thoughts. Thank you very much. If you click on the top picture you can see the black on the bottom. Don't know why only part of the picture is showing at first. Have a great day.
January 27, 2013 at 8:30am   
kimdee24
You posted them just fine. It seems when photos are the last post on the page, they get cut off for some reason by the bottom navigation bar of the site when they're expanded. It's not you!

Railing is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished project. What a fussy job that is, painting railings!
January 27, 2013 at 8:34am   
sjkingston
Love the black on the bottom and what is neat is that it is your idea the ideas a step further and coming up with your own great look.
January 27, 2013 at 8:34am   
pivoines
Sorry to disagree, like the white bottom better, blends in better I find the black sample too stark. But , hey , it is your house and you live with it, so , do what you like best.
January 27, 2013 at 11:57am   
mysunshine3537
Love your new look, it's coming along very nicely!
January 27, 2013 at 12:06pm   
Tamara Colbert
Love the Black it looks Grand!!!
January 27, 2013 at 12:17pm   
lackerez
Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure which way to go. So far one for white the rest for black. I am looking for a black and white circle rug for the front and we are looking for a black side table for under the star mirror. (thanks for the suggestions on the rug)
January 27, 2013 at 2:53pm   
pivoines
States or Canada ? in Canada Korhani (google for stores in your area) has all kinds of area rugs in all sizes, in all styles, did you want indoor or outdoor rug. Walmart, has nice area rugs in both country . as for black side table, may I suggest a wide narrow dresser instead (a little wider than your mirror ), it will give you a place to store your gloves, scarves, keys etc...and will anchor the entrance along with the rug.Choose the rug in a much larger size
than the Matt ,at least the width of the stairs,and all the way to about a foot from the door. to a foot from the stairs. You can put a few accessories on top of the dresser,a nice flower pot, a bowl, or candlesticks. I like to find flea market pieces of furniture and paint them black, but if you want new, Bombay co., Ikea, have great affordable pieces. Target, in the states.have fun
January 27, 2013 at 4:14pm   
nancygerrysimba
I painted my handrails black and left the pickets white. I also did a brave move by painting the interior front door the same high gloss black but leaving all the trim white. IT is absolutely gorgeous.
January 27, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Judy M
Make that 2 votes for white on the bottom. Black post and rail look awesome. we sis that ar a beach house and plan to do the same here at main reaidence.I also agree with the small chest or dresser, the storage option would be great.
It's coming along nicely, which ever you end up with it looks great.
January 27, 2013 at 4:54pm   
lackerez
Thanks for the additional posts. We are in the states. I did not know Canada did not have Target. I thought Bombay went out of biz a few years ago? Thanks for the great ideas. I also want to paint the door black. Now on the look out for the rug and dresser. We would want an indoor rug.
January 27, 2013 at 5:56pm   
PRO
Portland Stair Company
lackerez, what do you think of this type of finish? We do this to give it an age and well used look.
January 27, 2013 at 7:10pm     
lackerez
Very nice
January 27, 2013 at 7:58pm   
nancygerrysimba
I really like the high gloss black with the spindles a bright white. It's crisp, clean and casually elegant. I would look for a substantial wool carpet for the entrance floor. If you choose to do a runner on the stairs, it should not match. Look for quality because it matter. Check out a dealer that carries Karastan carpeting.
I think the 'bottom' should be white. You don't want it to look chopped up by seeming to outline the stair case in black.It will look like a sharpie drawing.
January 27, 2013 at 8:08pm     
pivoines
We are getting Targets in Canada shortly, they have bought out Zellers, and are establishing some stores in strategic places. I think the black door is a great idea and also would anchor the entrance. Bombay has started again in the States, In Canada Bombay.ca, in the States , Bombay .com.Oh! I still like the white bottom better.
January 28, 2013 at 5:01am   
lackerez
Thanks for the info. On the look out for a black round rug. Thanks
January 28, 2013 at 7:26pm   
lackerez
Here is the "almost" finished project! Still looking for the black circle rug.
March 4, 2013 at 6:17am     
mysunshine3537
Beautiful !! Try Rugs Direct, they have oodles of circle rugs.
March 4, 2013 at 6:27am     
pivoines
I am happy you like your new banister's look, but If I were you I would not do an all black rug, it always looks dirty as everything shows on it, go for a mix black and white instead,but, If it were me, I would interject a color at this point, is there a color in any of the adjacent rooms that could be added to the mix ? I would go for a black/white and dark blue or even a mix of colors go online at Overstock.com free shipping over $50.there is a great deal of choices in round rug, and there is a lot of rug sites that will give you Ideas. good luck and have fun with it.
March 4, 2013 at 6:49am   
lackerez
Thanks. I am sorry I meant a black and white round rug. It was another poster that suggested it. I would like to put something under my star mirror but the space is very tight since the door opens that way. Any ideas on that?
March 4, 2013 at 7:25am   
pivoines
A console table with a couple of drawers would look great and fit that space , from what I can see from the pics, I think you have enough space. measure the area ,( you need the width and depth and height ), then open the door to see what will fit comfortably so you now have the information to make a decision when you go looking. have lots of fun and don't forget you can try items and return them if you are not pleased with it. Same with the rug. keep if you love it, return if unsure. Take your time .good luck.
March 4, 2013 at 10:23am     
lackerez
Great idea pivoines! We will measure and see if we can fit anything there.
March 4, 2013 at 1:37pm   
lackerez
Mysunshine wanted to let you know we were able to get the exact rug you posted. We love it. Still looking for something for under the mirror. Everyone that comes to the house comments on the black and white bannister
May 13, 2013 at 8:42pm     
PRO
Ultra-tec Cable Railing by The Cable Connection
May 21, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Match to top.
May 21, 2013 at 2:01pm   
momof5x
I would keep them as all the same as top banister ( brown and white), or go all white.
May 21, 2013 at 2:10pm   
More Discussions
What colour should I paint this fireplace?
We have this hideous black tile fireplace surround....
carpet color
We are replacing the carpet in the bedroom. The walls...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Decorate the Houzz UK Office walls!
Hi everyone. We are looking for some good ideas for...
Need to check CNC art work at wood for interior modern style
Please need your advice with attached photoes for cnc...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.