Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need decorating ideas for a transition wall between family room and kitchen
etvacation
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need ideas for decorating a partial wall between my family room and kitchen. The kitchen is up three steps and the wall is actually the back of a bank of cabinets. We put up a shelf and have some family pics on there now but I am ready for a change. Need cosmetic ideas only as it is not possible to do structural changes at this time.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
Looks like there is a walkway that runs right past that half-wall. Is that correct?
January 20, 2013 at 9:32am   
tennisanyone
A picture of the whole family room would help before we decide.
January 20, 2013 at 9:32am   
piranha123
textured accent wall in metallic shades (perhaps copper) and wall accent lights. But can't say much without looking at the theme of the rest of your living area.
January 20, 2013 at 9:35am   
AMN
Would you mind posting a wider shot of that half-wall and maybe a couple other parts of the room so we can see more about how it relates to the rest of the space?

Please just reply to this existing thread. In your response, attach images to add to this discussion. Thank you.

My instinct is (especially if there is a walkway through there) to leave it blank and put a fresh coat of paint on it. Make something else in your room the focal point. Is there a fireplace in the room or a wall of windows? Something else?

The only other thing I can think of is applying some interesting cladding to the wall. Depending on your style, it could be reclaimed wood, beadboard, something that has interesting texture.
January 20, 2013 at 9:37am   
njmomma
I would run shelving across the whole top of the wall or abstract shelving and then accessorize that with books, candles, plants and picture frames of the family. I would paint the wall a deeper color of the color you already have on the wall and the shelves would either be white or wood stain, depending on the look you are going for.

Another option, not seeing your whole room. Could that wall be used to put a flat screen t.v. on? then re-positioning the furniture.
January 20, 2013 at 10:00am   
etvacation
Thanks for all comments so far. Yes, there are steps leading up from the family room to the kitchen. The entire room is approximately 26' x 13' with a fireplace at the opposite end from this wall. We made a mistake in buying a sectional so are limited in how we arrange the room. Have to keep it another year or so as all of our savings is being set aside to gut and remodel two bathrooms. I am attaching a few more pics of the room.
January 20, 2013 at 1:51pm   
etvacation
Would also love ideas for a refresh of the fireplace. I want to tear out the built ins but hubby wants them to stay.
January 20, 2013 at 1:54pm   
njmomma
These are much better pictures for visualizing the room. Since this a back corner of a room, why not put a Desk and chair on the wall with the four pictures and shelving on the wall with the candles. Make it an office area. You would be defining the space.
January 20, 2013 at 2:01pm   
Dar Eckert
I think I would put a full wall of book cases here. This corner looks like a great corner for a chaise and lamp for reading. I would definately think of closing off the open space above the wall You could rotate the sofa 90 degrees so it faces the fireplace and put your TV on the built-ins next to the fireplace. Then the chair can go where the TV currently is.
January 20, 2013 at 2:17pm     
yvonnecmartin
I second the idea of bookcases. Every house needs a book nook.
January 20, 2013 at 2:28pm   
anthip
I agree with a book nook. Looks like a great space for reading.
January 20, 2013 at 2:47pm   
kwistina
A stained glass partition at the top would fill in the space without blocking the light. And either a desk along that wall, or a reading chair would be a good use of the space, with a standing lamp and bookshelf-near the sliding doors, as others have suggested.
January 20, 2013 at 2:56pm   
PRO
studio | FORMA
Book Shelves are never out of place!! Specialy in a dining area where it could douple as a study space.

Ideas:
January 20, 2013 at 3:01pm   
tennisanyone
The additional pictures helped. The room arrangement works so I would not change it. However, If you don't need that other chair facing the tv, I would put that by the four pictures with a side table and a tall lamp, making that space a reading corner. Then I would make that wall a buffet area, meaning, a long cabinet the length of the wall or as close as you can come to it and add some wine racks above it so you can entertain from the kitchen and family room. It looks like you have some kind of bookcases next to the fireplace already, just not accessorized with books yet. I would take down all the candles and other stuff on the wall too.
January 20, 2013 at 3:44pm   
garnatmom
Why have you chosen to cut the room in half? I would flip the sofa facing the fireplace, pull the chair back to wall with the shelf, add a floor lamp, and another chair for add'l seating place the tv over the fireplace add accessories to the built ins. I would ignore the shelf in a sense, and remove the candles and rearrange the pictures in the room.
January 20, 2013 at 4:04pm   
houssaon
As soon as I saw the pictures of the entire space, I thought reading corner, too! Is that something you would use? One new comfortable chair, a small table and light are what you would need.
January 20, 2013 at 4:19pm   
AMN
Yes. Wow! That part of the room actually looks nothing like I thought it would from the first pics! Thanks for adding the new ones. Dar Eckert hit the nail on the head.
January 20, 2013 at 4:42pm   
etvacation
Thanks for all of the comments. I have thought reading nook but up until Christmas had a reading room. My son has now taken over that space for a workout room. Will have to play around with that option. I also like the idea of a buffet area. We cannot flip the sectional to face the fireplace because it is too long - we would have to jump over to sit on the couch!

Thanks again for all of the ideas.
January 21, 2013 at 7:26pm