powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Where do I start? living room decorating.
ninahamza
January 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have changed the curtains, bought artwork (not here yet) for over the fireplace. I plan to buy a coffee table. I need advice on where to start and finish this room. Any advice?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
First thing is to get a larger rug and move your furniture closer together - the front legs should rest on the rug. This will make for a cozier conversational area. It doesn't need to be against the walls. You could also paint the fireplace wall a darker color to emphasize it as a focal point. This will make the white surround pop and add interest and color to the room. Good luck.
January 21, 2013 at 9:16AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
are you able to return the drapey?
January 21, 2013 at 9:19AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the room is coming off very 'safe' at this point. I would use no rug as there is carpeting on the floor. It seems that the furniture is backed up to the walls. Try facing the sofa into the fireplace. leave about 3 ft behind it. this may not work but try it.

As for the darpery they come off a bit 'bedroomie' you have little to no pattern and the drapery are your big chance to make a difference in the room
January 21, 2013 at 9:23AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
snap a few more shots to send....
January 21, 2013 at 9:23AM     
ninahamza
Type your comment here...Unfortunatel I cannot return the drapes. There are a few more pictures attached in the comment sections, after the first person's comments. I'm trying all sorts of furniture rearrangements with all the advice I've been getting.
January 21, 2013 at 9:27AM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Extend your rods so the drapery hangs off the windows, but slightly over the edge of the side frame. And please shorten them to just touch the floor. Agree with PH Interiors about the rug. I would however paint all the walls a darker shade because of the light floor, sofa and fireplace surround. There is also no real "pops" of color, I would probably do that with the new, bigger rug, pull colors from that rug for pillows on your sofa & chairs. There also does not seem to be any end table/lamp from this view. Lighting is not about cans in the ceiling. I also almost always like a green plant/tree in a room as a breath of fresh air. The room is really nice and has a lot of potential.
January 21, 2013 at 9:29AM     
decoenthusiaste
Unfortunate that you can't return the drapes. Have you thought of selling them on Craigslist? They have nothing to do with your room or furniture and I don't see another remedy. Can you sew? Would they work in a bedroom as a bedskirt and drapes, pillows?
January 21, 2013 at 9:55AM     
iamchickaddd
Sorry, I don't care for the drapes either; maybe you can use them in another room?
January 21, 2013 at 10:11AM     
Demogrl
I agree with Gary and decoenthusiaste....no matter what you try with this room it seems like the drapes will look out of place. Are you able to take some other pictures to show a few more angles?
January 21, 2013 at 10:13AM   
Demogrl
This is an idea of seating arrangement but away from the wall if you have the room and without the grey piece. Happy decorating
January 21, 2013 at 10:16AM   
PRO
JMittman Designs
You have this posted more than once? Here is what I suggested on the other post:

I do think the curtains are not really adding anything to the room as is. If you choose to keep the same ones, I would do as pivoines suggested above in extending the curtain rod past the frames a few inches in the living room and hemming the panels to the floor. That puddled look is not so in vogue now. However, in the dining room I would open the panels and push them to the corners. You don't need them for privacy, so their purpose is purely decorative. These appear to be unpleated panels? Unpleated panels pulled flat look like, well, unpleated panels pulled flat. They need to be pulled back so they fold properly.
If you can return the panels, I would do the same thing, but add a little more color.
January 21, 2013 at 10:26AM     
Jayme H.
More color could be added..I like the contrast of the lamps in one of the pics.
January 21, 2013 at 10:32AM     
jansseninteriors
I really like the curtains. In fact, I like them a lot. The rods are about half as long as they need to be, and the curtains should frame the sides of the windows, not cover them (already have blinds). You have plenty of wall space to hang them correctly. If you don't sew you can hem them with a no-sew tape and an iron.

The pattern on the curtains looks gray to me, but I really can't tell. A paint color similar to the pattern in the curtains, but a shade darker would begin to define the color scheme. (even a super-dark wall paint would work) The white of the fireplace and the white of the curtains would then be very stylish. Move that area rug out of the room. It isn't adding anything, and it is too small. Try painting the existing coffee table (maybe white). You have only shown about half of the room, so that is all I see.
January 21, 2013 at 11:07AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I agree I think that by extending the rods and shortening the drapery to sit just on the floor would really give you a more polished look.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/
January 21, 2013 at 1:07PM   
2dogssashatess
This room is soooo beige. I have seen beautiful beige rooms on houzz but this one is not working. Got to say do not like curtains, you seem to have nice shaped widows so I don't know why they are covered up, as your windows are a feature. If you must have curtains at least pull them back so we can see the windows.

Your need some pops of color. The color could have been in your curtains,or you could get some colorful cushions. Some plants would help
January 21, 2013 at 1:15PM   
judianna20
If you can't return the panels you should rehang on different rods,the rod going under the arch and hemmed. They also don't look lined which give them a bed sheet look.

Try painting your walls darker. What is the color in the drapes?
Modern Family Room
kansas city living
January 21, 2013 at 1:29PM   
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
You must extend those rods & not cover the windows. Paint the fireplace wall 2 shades deeper than the main walls...or maybe grasscloth??? I don't mind a rug, just not his one...it should be tone on tone like the draperies (which I really like btw). I would replace the blinds with matchstick or other natural material for textural interest, which is the key to neutral tone on tone rooms. Center cocktail with fireplace & then pull in your furniture to 18" of the table. Consider replacing the blah tile surround with something a bit more interesting that will work with the draperies (marble)...but an iron fireplace screen certainly will help. I would consider a 36"-40" round cocktail table & a great chandalier on a dimmer over it. Remember...TEXTURE!!!
January 21, 2013 at 1:36PM     
PRO
OasisDesign&Remodeling
Look for a cocktail table with a slightly Asian vibe. And those thow pillows have to go. I would consider pillows with a fringe or cord trim for that added texture.

The grasscloth & marble will really help pull together the beiges, whites, & grays. It can be done very successfully. If you paint the walls grayer to match the drapes, then you have whole other set of problems...TOO gray.
January 21, 2013 at 1:42PM   
Ramona
I don't think the drapes themselves are the problem. How they are hung over the windows and puddling sloppily is the problem. Extend rods as has been suggested and pull them to the sides of the windows. Show us the rest of the room. Pull the sofa in front of the fireplace. I think a color on the walls is going to make wonderful sense and all the difference here. Don't obsess about the drapes till you get the rods extended and at least pin them up so we can get a better sense.
January 21, 2013 at 1:46PM   
Jayme H.
Do u like the soft neutral look....or do u want a bit more color added in? If so, which ones? This is a nice and clean slate with which to start...many possibilities!
January 21, 2013 at 2:10PM   
iamchickaddd
Ramona's suggestions make sense. If you decide to stay with the drapes...and want to paint...it appears the drapes are white and gray? Painting the walls a light gray would pull things together...then add pops of color...red possibly...or blue...
January 21, 2013 at 2:17PM   
Jayme H.
A little different look
January 21, 2013 at 2:17PM   
ninahamza
Wow! I have so much to try here. I think the drapes are here to stay, but definitely agree the rods need to be longer and the drapes a little shorter. Also love the idea of grasscloth around fireplace. yes, definitely need color and texture. Hopefully I'll have an after picture to share soon.

Yes I've posted twice by mistake and the other post has a few more pictures.
January 21, 2013 at 3:14PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think if the walls were simply painted the color of the (looks like) grey in the drapes it would make the drapes actually look good. Put some updated pattern (Ikat, etc.) bright colored pillows on the sofa, and deep six the rug for one with color and maybe contemporary look, wavy, thin, color stripes or such. Notice the fabulous large framed pictures in Jayme Hobbs post...great, items you hang on your walls should be bold. As one who has grasscloth and really loves it in my own house. I would only use it if it were a grey tone (which you can find easily) but I would put it on all the walls. I am not a fan of feature walls, I think it makes rooms smaller.
January 23, 2013 at 9:56AM